Skip to content

Nwn: EE : cannot create new characters

When I installed the game originally, It acted as expected.

Now, with no mods or altered content, I cannot create new characters. Not in the online servers or the original campaigns.

I have uninstalled the game, the client, tried alternate directories, verified installation.

I think all that leaves is doing a total scrub of the client. Any latent content in obscure locations....

So, How?

Also, I have not seen the 'backward compatibility' work. If I try to connect to non BD listed servers I get a client version error. But that is not my main concern... skip it...

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Can you please clarify how exactly the character creation process looks for you (if possible, with screenshots)? At which point does it stop for you? How?
  • AltpersonaAltpersona Member Posts: 12
    one of three things happens.

1. the game crashes, this happens in original campaign mode and happens with other modules.

2. complete the creation process and upon clicking the Play button, it returns to an empty character selection menu.

3. complete the creation process and it returns an error message "There was an error generating your character file."

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1360161781

Screenshot via steam but game via bd client, i had trouble getting a screenshot...
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    What Antivirus and OS do you use?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Does your installation directory to \localvault have admin/write access?
    os is windows 10, av is ms.

closest thing i have to a 'localvault' is an 'lcv', it has full access.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

closest thing i have to a 'localvault' is an 'lcv', it has full access.

That is the installation directory, which is not where characters are stored.

They are saved in My Documents/Neverwinter Nights/Local Vault
    Exploring the local vault permissions.

I have the game installed on two machines, only one of them has the characters problem.

Both are window 10, different sub versions.

The Documents / local vault / permissions on machine 2 is different than the problematic one.

Machine 2 has 3 'users' listed in the permissions system / user / administrator. Machine 1 has 4, i do not recall what the 4th one is atm will check when i get home.

Machine 2, all three have 'Full Access'. Machine 1, none have full access but all have read and write.

My next attempt to correct this problem will be delete that documents folder... and reinstall from scratch again... Are there any other locations that should get scrubbed as well?
    JuliusBorisov
    Can you follow the same procedure for NWN:EE?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/946094/#Comment_946094
    One the machine in question, i checked the 4 vs 3 users, all 4 have Full Access.

I did the Controlled Folder Access procedure.

Still nothing.
    Deleting the This PC / Documents /Neverwinter Nights folder seems to have done the trick.
    JuliusBorisov
    Interesting, thanks for sharing!