Skip to content

Installed newest patch and a lot of sounds are missing

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
edited December 2017 in Technical Support
The beamdog client had an update, so I installed it tonight. After the update, a lot of the sounds in the game aren't playing. I have music and mouse clicks in the menus, but don't have any combat sounds like hits or people casting spells. I can't hear any dialog unless I enter an actual conversation with the NPC. It seems like the first second of audio gets clipped when a dialog starts, then it kicks it when the UI zooms in on them. I thought it might be a positional audio thing, but I still don't hear anything when I zoom way in during combat.

This is on windows 10, asus xonar dx for sound. I have open AL installed, and tried reinstalling it. I'm waiting for it to update in Linux, to see if it's happening there, but it's dragging on at 20kB/s.

*Edit. Just booted back to windows to try a couple things. Verifying the game in the beamdog client didn't come up with anything. It's really weird, just firing up the prelude to the OC, and I can hear the music and main dialogs, doors opening and when enemies die and hit the floor. I don't hear swings and hits in combat, spells being cast and my own combat barks, I can hear the goblin gibberish, though.
Post edited by DrHappyAngry on

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Just finally got the Linux client updated, and it's got different problems. I have the missing sounds, but they play out of the wrong speakers. Music and UI sounds ie clicking in the menus, item noises in in the inventory play as expected, but flames from torches only play from the front center speaker and dialog only comes out quiet from the rear speakers. Pulse in ubuntu is setup for 5.1 audio, but the game only lets me pick 2 speakers (well I can pick other options, but none of them stick or change anything). I'm not sure if this was happening in Linux prior to the update, though. The mouse cursor being offset when using UI scaling makes it pretty much unplayable at 4k, so I haven't played around with it as much there.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    The team are currently investingating it.
    DrHappyAngry

The team are currently investingating it.

Should I file tickets on redmine for these? I just figured I'd post here first to make sure I wasn't missing something.
    I've figured out a workaround. B)
    Grab the openal soft from here http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html

From the archive take the file openal-soft-1.18.2-bin.zip\openal-soft-1.18.2-bin\bin\Win32\soft_oal.dll and copy it to the nwn install folder, for me it was C:\Users\DrHappyAngry\Beamdog Library\00840\bin\win32. Rename the soft_oal.dll file to OpenAL32.dll. Enjoy having sounds working again.
    JuliusBorisovSylvus_Moonbowandie
    I figured out a fix for the sounds being really quiet on Linux. For some reason the game would launch from the beamdog client, but errorred out complaining it couldn't find libsdl-1.2 if I launched nwmain-linux from the command line. Apparently I hadn't installed the 32bit libSDL since I got this box last Spring. For ubuntu it was

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian:i386

I'm still hearing most of the conversation dialog coming out of the rear speakers, though.

On Windows with the software openal, I'm sometimes having the dialog come out of the rear speakers, as well. When I get a chance I'll play around with it a bit more and then file a ticket on redmine for this.
    JuliusBorisovSylvus_Moonbow
    Finally got around to filing those tickets in redmine, here they are if anybody wants to comment on them.

Missing sounds https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34563
    Sounds coming from wrong speakers https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34564
    JuliusBorisov
  • andieandie Member Posts: 0

I've figured out a workaround. B)
    Grab the openal soft from here http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html

From the archive take the file openal-soft-1.18.2-bin.zip\openal-soft-1.18.2-bin\bin\Win32\soft_oal.dll and copy it to the nwn install folder, for me it was C:\Users\DrHappyAngry\Beamdog Library\00840\bin\win32. Rename the soft_oal.dll file to OpenAL32.dll. Enjoy having sounds working again.

Hey, thank you very much! It worked for me, too. Had the same problem with most combat sounds missing.

I should note that when I installed the game, it wouldn't work, said that openal32.dll was missing. So I just downloaded it from somewhere, and then had this sound problem.
    JuliusBorisov