Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• LudovikHLudovikH Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2018
    Using this game installation path is almost a guarantee for failed installs, BWS or no BWS
    E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    >
    Don't use directories like steamapps or ProgramFiles or the like.
  • HubalHubal Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Ludovik I thought disabling UAC is enough. I am sorry. Will try different disk.

Same problem
    ERROR Installing [EET core - resource importation], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 2773 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 2773 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE: read out of bounds")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-EET.DEBUG to K4thos (swit)
    Automatically Skipping [EET core - resource importation] because of error.
    Using Language [English]
    [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 293352 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET core - resource importation

D:\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 13116190 of 13768-byte file EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE
    ERROR: [EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE] -> [EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE: read out of bounds"))
    Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) was not installed due to errors.

Without this component the installation cannot be continued.
    Post edited by Hubal on
  • LudovikHLudovikH Member Posts: 46
    Hubal said:

Thanks Ludovik I thought disabling UAC is enough. I am sorry. Will try different disk.

Same problem
    ERROR Installing [EET core - resource importation], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 2773 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 2773 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0.
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-EET.DEBUG to K4thos (swit)
    Automatically Skipping [EET core - resource importation] because of error.
    Using Language [English]
    [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 293352 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET core - resource importation

D:\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 13116190 of 13768-byte file EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE
    ERROR: [EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE] -> [EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("EET/TEMP/PATCH/ARE/BG2200.ARE: read out of bounds"))
    Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) was not installed due to errors.

Without this component the installation cannot be continued.

Maybe that file really has an error?
    Extract the attached file to BGEE (The BG1 folder you use!!) into folder override, i.e. BGEE/override. Then do the EET import. In case you need to restart BWS new and it does the BG1 part again, then put the file into override after BG1 modding finished and before BG2 starts with EET.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    Sorry about you folks, :'( but glad that I finished my installation before this problem arose. :)
  • enderandrewenderandrew Member Posts: 23
    I'm getting the same error as LudovikH, and I'm installing in D:\BWS\ not in a Program Files or Steam folder.
    I solved my problem. I was trying to install EET on beta versions of bgee and bgee2. I dont know why steam automatically downloaded beta versions. Everything works flawlessly now.
  • enderandrewenderandrew Member Posts: 23
    Hubal said:

I solved my problem. I was trying to install EET on beta versions of bgee and bgee2. I dont know why steam automatically downloaded beta versions. Everything works flawlessly now.

I'm using the 2.5 betas as well. I had been testing EET and BWS against the 2.5 betas the whole time with no problems before. But apparently it doesn't work now. I don't know if EET changed, or if it was a new patch to the 2.5 beta.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited April 2018
    - BWS will no longer update itself when installation is in progress,

It wasn't quite true since introducing AutoUpdate long time ago. Now I think it's finally fixed. You need to use "BWS.vbs" to update BWS and with next usage of "BWS.vbs", Setup.ini should never be overwriten. Also for completely new/fresh BWS installation, Setup.ini file is created during first start of the application - the way it should work from the begging.

You might see "Continue" box if you BWS installation was interrupted (or paused & Exit).
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    edited April 2018

Hubal said:

I'm using the 2.5 betas as well. I had been testing EET and BWS against the 2.5 betas the whole time with no problems before. But apparently it doesn't work now. I don't know if EET changed, or if it was a new patch to the 2.5 beta.
    It happened on my EET test installation with latest 2.5 patches as well. I was able to track the issue to several invalid or conflicting actor definitions within the ARE file that EET seems to choke on.

I have created a small mod that fixes these inconsistencies (see attached file). Run this mod on BG1EE before starting the EET installation.

EET installation will still finish with a couple of warnings, which may or may not affect gameplay in some way.
    argent77 said:

Hubal said:

It happened on my EET test installation with latest 2.5 patches as well. I was able to track the issue to several invalid or conflicting actor definitions within the ARE file that EET seems to choke on.

I have created a small mod that fixes these inconsistencies (see attached file). Run this mod on BG1EE before starting the EET installation.

EET installation will still finish with a couple of warnings, which may or may not affect gameplay in some way.
    Thank you argent, but there is really nothing spectacular with 2.5 update worth installing EET again. For me at least. Or maybe I am wrong?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    You're right. Using EET with the current beta patch is really only interesting if you want to test new features or check if some bugs have been fixed. However, there is a good chance that the final 2.5 patch will also contain these issues.
  • IcezeraIcezera Member Posts: 20
    Hi all. I am not sure what is going wrong. Every time I try to install EET either through Roxanne's EET-bws or through BWS, some new problem that I previously did not have pops up. For example, I installed Dark Horizons perfectly on my first try before running into an error of my own. However, ever since then, Dark Horizons will not install properly and this keeps happening with mods that previously had no issues in installing. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I completely restore from backup installs that have been modmerged each time I try and I even manually download the mods with problems but I keep getting more errors
    @Icezera Do you fully restore you game files via Steam/BeamDog/GoG ?
  • IcezeraIcezera Member Posts: 20
    Managed to install by re-downloading and re-installing everything, including the tool. It seems like I can't reuse anything after a failed attempt!
    Icezera said:

Managed to install by re-downloading and re-installing everything, including the tool. It seems like I can't reuse anything after a failed attempt!

Not good :(
    @Wise_Grimwald The reason of Icezera problem was again "modmerge" - BWS can't produce valid backup when modmerge was applied. I hated this idea from the start and I knew that it will create more problems.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    I've been using BWS for about a year, with mod-merge set no BGEE and never had any issues with restoring it on a new install.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

Icezera said:

Well, if you keep your both games (full folders, full clean install) as a backup and selection of mods for BWS as a separate file, it does not take much time. Space - is another matter, of course.
    Mirandel said:

Icezera said:

Well, if you keep your both games (full folders, full clean install) as a backup and selection of mods for BWS as a separate file, it does not take much time. Space - is another matter, of course.
    That is why I have an external hard drive.
    edited May 2018
    Recent BWS changes:
    -removed Mod=GE and Mod=RU from mod ini files
    -removed outdated documentation
    -renamed default 'Big World Downloads' to 'App-Downloads'
    -renamed default 'Big World Backup' to 'App-Backups' + user.ini option

New Features:
    - You can set you own backup location outside of the main program directory via user.ini for example:
    Backup=D:\BWS-Backups

Finally you can have multiple BWS instances with only one main backup folder :smile:
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @ALIEN Thank you for your work on this.
    edited May 2018
    Well now its not working at all It crashes after selecting mod options.
    Post edited by Hubal on
    Hubal said:

Well now its not working at all It crashes after selecting mod options.

Don't edit you posts when you reporting bugs because I didn't see notification. Issue was temporary, it's fixed now, just start BWS normally and it should receive update with fix.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2018
    Confirmed: with the latest BWS EET installs perfectly!
    Post edited by Mirandel on
    edited May 2018
    Big World Setup is moving to Github.com:
    - transfer doesn't require user actions, BWS will simply update itself and use new hosting
    - the tool lost it's last remaining contributor, currently there is no one who is updating mods/components
    - this move is towards all people who already familiar with Github to make possible contributions easier

All important links were updated,but if you find a link which points to old Bitbucket just make post with new link.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Guys I can confirm that BWS installs without problems.
    Funny part is I have rolled a 96 Fighter/Mage/Thief. Is it even possible or is it a bug? I have never seen such a roll.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    perfectly normal.
    Hubal said:

Guys I can confirm that BWS installs without problems.
    Funny part is I have rolled a 96 Fighter/Mage/Thief. Is it even possible or is it a bug? I have never seen such a roll.

I've rolled that with vanilla BG even without Frabjous' Re-roller. Having a fighter/mage/thief it is particularly easy to get a high roll due to the minimum stats of those three attributes.
  • ChiefBigFeatherChiefBigFeather Member Posts: 15
    I am currently playing with an 2.3 Big World SCS install (plus some minor additions). I got some questions regarding the installer:

Is the Big Picture Improved Hell Trials component safe to use (under tactical encounters)?

In my playthrough, I noticed that Cernd didn't get any shapeshifter buffs from SCS and I couldn't find a component. Is this intentional?

I kind of forgot what options I installed. Is there a way to revisit them?

If not, how resilient are savegames to reinstalling all the mods? Are they liable to break (especially if almost all components are rule changes)?

Thanks in advance!
  • bearcattonybearcattony Member Posts: 32
    Can't mod IWDEE right now after it updated to 2.5. Trying to use BWS and getting the "please choose your language and create save game" block error and kicks me out of BWS.