Skip to content

Viconia stutter bug - is it fixable?

Dang. I fell victim to the infamous stutter bug. My current game is in a place where Viconia will start stuttering about 5 seconds after the save is loaded. It's clearly a dialogue-related problem, because I cannot do a quicksave: "Cannot save the game while in dialogue mode."

Is there a workaround for this? Hopefully there is, because otherwise that's clearly my game ruined.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Was she killed or petrified recently? If so, you probably want to reload to before that happened. If you enable the console, there might be a way to either force the talk, or work around the broken script.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    No, she was not. I am in Ust Natha, and I have had no casualties in the Underdark, nor with the Sahuagin before that.
    How I would force a talk through the console? I am romancing her, and oddly enough, it was only something like 15 minutes ago that she initiated a lovetalk (concerning the question of settling down, for marriage).
    It would be more like setting her talk variable. Either by moving it to the last talk and seeing if it triggers normally after. Or setting the variable ahead, skipping the current talk entirely.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I got caught in Ust Nathar with the same thing. But it was because Valygar was in the party I thought and they were about to have their big argument.

I got past it by killing Valygar and hauling his body right back to Athkatla.

So maybe, if you kill the NPC she's getting stuck trying to talk to you can move on.
    I've had stutter happen for me a couple times, but reload has always fixed it for me.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    from what i remember the stutter is due to one of her and Valygar's banters in iep banter pack.
    Haha. I might even try that once I get back to the game. If nothing else works, kill someone and resurrect them. What a way to solve problems!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Make her sing; it worked for Mel Tillis.
    edited April 2018
    The problem is indeed between Viconia and Valygar who are about to talk to one another, but for some reason the dialogue doesn't start. They both stutter: Valygar a little bit, Viconia a lot. And the game cannot be saved.

I tried killing Valygar, and that does indeed stop the stutter. I mean Viconia's stutter. It stops all of Valygar, obviously, not just the stutter...

I wonder if there's a more peaceful resolution to this?

@megamike15 is apparently quite correct.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    You might have to kill her and then resurrect. Don't forget to check out her romance variables after that, though.
    I tried removing the banter pack, and that solved the problem without bloodshed. It's not official content anyway, so I can quite happily live without it.

Thanks to everybody who contributed!
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    As I recall, it happened to me with no mods added, and during travel to the amphitheater during Rassads quest, more than once, but it's been a while since I was in BG2 though.
    I've had major issues with Rasaad's and Neera's ambushes crashing my game in the last few playthroughs. I have yet to find what causes it.