Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2.5 patch crashes when starting a new game or loading a save

I wanted to report this bug here since myself and a few other users have already reported it on the Steam discussion page.

As of today's patch, the game crashes to desktop without any error message when loading any save or starting a new game. Game is not and never has been modded.

Icewind Dale v2.5.16.3
Ubuntu 17.10 (but appears to be happening with other Linux distros as well)
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: Fury X with open source drivers (mesa 18.0.1 padoka ppa)
16 GB RAM
Game is installed on an SSD

Happy to provide any logs or other sort of information.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    This is very unfortunate.

Please, attach any logs you can to the bug ticket:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36929
  • meowmeowfuzzyfacemeowmeowfuzzyface Member Posts: 11
    Would it generate a crash log of some sort? Do you know where it would be for the Linux version?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Depends on the Linux distribution. When we've investigated before - it usually requires a backtrace or core dump.

Ubuntu, for example, uses Apport - https://askubuntu.com/questions/346953/how-to-read-and-use-crash-reports

It would also be really helpful for you to say which store and how you launch the game in case that is relevant (i.e. desktop shortcut, terminal, Steam client)

Depends on the Linux distribution. When we've investigated before - it usually requires a backtrace or core dump.

Ubuntu, for example, uses Apport - https://askubuntu.com/questions/346953/how-to-read-and-use-crash-reports

It would also be really helpful for you to say which store and how you launch the game in case that is relevant (i.e. desktop shortcut, terminal, Steam client)

Icewind Dale isn't creating a .crash file in /var/crash/. If there's some other way to get a crash log or anything, I'm glad to do it for you.

I'm launching the game through the Steam client.
  • flaviuscrsipusflaviuscrsipus Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with the game crashing whenever i start a multiplayer game. I am launching through steam. When someone joins my lobby or when I try to join another lobby my game crashes. Single player works, i can load a multiplayer save if no one else i playing. Is there a solution I can work on or do I have to wait until the patch gets patched?

This is very unfortunate.

Please, attach any logs you can to the bug ticket:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36929

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game through Steam has fixed the problem.

My game was never modded, so maybe the update for Linux left some old files or something? Whatever the case, it's working now.
  • CyberZXCyberZX Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have simillar problem. Game always crashes when I starting new game.
    I ran game under gdb and got crash callstack. Maybe it will help your coders to fix the crash

Thread 1 "IcewindDale64" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    0x00000000007fcc66 in CInfinity::FXRenderClippingPolys(int, int, int, CPoint const&, CRect const&, unsigned char, unsigned int) ()
    (gdb) bt
    #0 0x00000000007fcc66 in CInfinity::FXRenderClippingPolys(int, int, int, CPoint const&, CRect const&, unsigned char, unsigned int) ()
    #1 0x00000000008b1fe8 in CGameAnimationTypeCharacter::Render(CInfinity*, CVidMode*, CRect const&, CPoint const&, CPoint const&, unsigned int, unsigned int, CRect const&, int, int, int, unsigned char) ()
    #2 0x000000000099bc16 in CGameSprite::Render(CGameArea*, CVidMode*) ()
    #3 0x000000000066b14a in CGameArea::Render(CVidMode*) ()
    #4 0x000000000066c60a in CGameArea::RenderZoomed() ()
    #5 0x000000000088266d in CScreenWorld::TimerSynchronousUpdate() ()
    #6 0x0000000000a8a194 in CChitin::SynchronousUpdate() ()
    #7 0x000000000060dfc9 in CBaldurChitin::SynchronousUpdate() ()
    #8 0x0000000000a8e5bc in CChitin::Update() ()
    #9 0x0000000000a8e668 in CChitin::WinMain() ()
    #10 0x0000000000606d73 in main ()
  • CyberZXCyberZX Member Posts: 2
    Reinstalling game fixes the problem