Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Khalid weap proficiencies

Hello,
I don't know if someone already asked the question but :
Is there a reason for Khalid to have 1 star in axe and longbow while he could use a longsword and a shield from start ?
I think it is more useful to have specialized chars so... at least he could have 1 star in weapon+shield instead of axe if the player still wants him to use a bow.
Thanks.

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,378

He was intended to be a versatile character that you could develop in more than one direction - you could make him a long-range sharpshooter or a hack 'n' slash tank, whichever direction you preferred.

As far as the axe proficiency, the makers of the original game probably felt there was a lack of NPCs with profs in axes, so they tossed him one. (Off the top of my head, I believe he's the only non-evil NPC who starts off with profs in axes.)

ThacoBell
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,203
    Khalid's proficiencies are transferred from his original BG1 proficiencies, which did not support weapon styles (http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/good.htm).

Having both ranged and melee proficiencies for a character is very useful, and having proficiency in additional melee weapons makes the character more versatile based on the equipment you find (and a godsend if you use mods like Item Randomizer, since you don't always know what equipment you'll find).

ThacoBellJuliusBorisov