Skip to content

Khalid weap proficiencies

Hello,
I don't know if someone already asked the question but :
Is there a reason for Khalid to have 1 star in axe and longbow while he could use a longsword and a shield from start ?
I think it is more useful to have specialized chars so... at least he could have 1 star in weapon+shield instead of axe if the player still wants him to use a bow.
Thanks.

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

He was intended to be a versatile character that you could develop in more than one direction - you could make him a long-range sharpshooter or a hack 'n' slash tank, whichever direction you preferred.

As far as the axe proficiency, the makers of the original game probably felt there was a lack of NPCs with profs in axes, so they tossed him one. (Off the top of my head, I believe he's the only non-evil NPC who starts off with profs in axes.)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Khalid's proficiencies are transferred from his original BG1 proficiencies, which did not support weapon styles (http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/good.htm).

Having both ranged and melee proficiencies for a character is very useful, and having proficiency in additional melee weapons makes the character more versatile based on the equipment you find (and a godsend if you use mods like Item Randomizer, since you don't always know what equipment you'll find).