Skip to content

Pausing before AI-initiated conversation OR Contingency spell bug

FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
I had my Contingency set up to cast an Air Elemental upon seeing an enemy just before leaving Elf camp and right at the beginning of Drizzt encounter I immediately hit spacebar before the convo and cast Time Stop. After I make the conversation lead to a battle and Time Stop spell having been cast in a few moments, any and all spells I cast in stopped time do not work, my mage does not react (Aerie) and the Time Stop is useless. I'm not sure if it's the Contingency or the fact that I pause right before the conversation. I'll be able to test this in about an hour.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited September 2012
    Just found out I don't have the save anymore. Hopefully someone will test this and fix it.
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    Who cast Time Stop? Time Stop is designed so that only the caster (and those cheating creatures who are immune to time stop) can do things. This means that anything that leaves the hands of the caster also get added in paused time.
    edited September 2012
    I'm sorry for not being clear, the mage who casts Time Stop (Aerie) doesn't react to anything else but walking for the duration of the spell and she is also the mage with Contingency on Air Elemental.
    As I mentioned, all spells cast during Time Stop are delayed until Time Stop ends. That includes the contingency firing.
    edited September 2012
    After the end of Time Stop Air Elemental shows up but all spells cast during Time Stop are nonexistent. The vocalization of spells cast during Time Stop is nonexistent as well. To sum it up: After casting Time Stop my mage is only able to walk around, any and all spells cast during Time Stop DO NOT work neither during nor after the Time Stop ends.
    I just got my Aerie to cast Time Stop followed by Magic Missile, Holy Smite, and Hold Person. All of them cast correctly immediately when Time Stop ended.
    edited September 2012
    I've stated the circumstances under which this bug repeatedly took place, not being a beta-tester nor a programmer, I have nothing left to comment on this issue. Hopefully it'll get sorted out.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    am i understanding the sequence correctly?:

person1 casts Contingency summon-on-enemy-sight
    person1 starts casting Time Stop
    person2 starts a dialog
    wait 5 rounds
    person2 ends dialog
    combat starts
    person1's Contingency doesnt fire
    person1's Time Stop starts
    edited September 2012
    it is:
    person1casts Contingency summon-on-enemy-sight
    person1 gets "waylaid" by Drizzt during travel
    game paused right before the person2-initiated dialog shows up
    game unpaused
    person2 starts a dialog which ends with fight
    combat starts
    person1's Contingency doesn't fire
    person1 casting doesn't work during Time Stop
    person1's Time Stop ends
    person1's Contigency fires ( Air Elemental shows up)
    person1 begins mind battle with Air Elemental

BUT the Contigency might even fire before the beginning of Time Stop as AI Drizzt goes aggro right before the beginning of Time Stop. I'm sorry for not being able to clarify this (lack of the savegame)
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    ok what i tried, with a g3fixpacked game, is attacking random people while the mage casts time stop with a Cont memorized. There was a bunch of weird stuff happening(not surprisingly), but nothing particularly broken. If Cont fires first, time stop is still firing after stun mode and proceeds normally. If time stop fires first than Cont fires second, during freeze time and puts the mage into stun mode, quite ironic.

Have any mods installed?
    So what you are trying to say is that if contingency wants to fire but Time Stop takes effect prior to this happening, then the mage who cast Time Stop is unable to complete actions?
    edited October 2012
    I dug up the savegame where I'm about to leave the elven encampment and the progression is like this:

person1casts Contingency summon-on-enemy-sight
    person1 gets "waylaid" by Drizzt during travel
    game paused right before the person2-initiated dialog shows up
    game unpaused
    person2 starts a dialog which ends with fight
    combat starts
    person1's Contingency fires
    person1 casting doesn't work during Time Stop
    person1's Time Stop ends
    person1's summon shows up
    person1 begins mind battle with summon

My conclusion is that person1 begins the mind battle during the Time Stop and thus cannot cast anything else, the issue here is that she can move around as if there was no mind battle.

Requested change: allow casting during TIme Stop even with a contigency summon taking place.

I'm using these mods: bg2fixpack, npcflirt, bg2tweaks, widescreen mod,
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    >Requested change: allow casting during TIme Stop even with a contigency summon taking place.

LOL, no. It is rather, CasterHold (which is used for mind battle) should take effect, even if you are a time stop owner.

>Requested change: allow casting during TIme Stop even with a contigency summon taking place.

LOL, no. It is rather, CasterHold (which is used for mind battle) should take effect, even if you are a time stop owner.

Considering that time is stopped during the Time Stop spell, the caster shouldn't be able to mind battle a summon who is not in the frozen spacetime. Caster cannot influence someone outside the Time Stop spell before the spell runs out. The mind battle should begin at the instant the Time Stop ends.