Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Bard songs losing effect on moving NPCs?

I recently began a playthrough of BG2:EE with Artemius' (quite excellent) troubadour kit mod installed, and I encountered some seemingly buggy behavior in which NPCs would intermittently lose the effects of bard songs on them when they were moving. I initially thought that this might be a bug related to the mod kit, but I tested out a vanilla bard on an unmodded download of BG2, and I encountered the same problem.

I did some research on this issue, and I read that this was reportedly an issue back in the vanilla BGs, although I can't recall encountering it myself (although admittedly, I didn't play as a bard much back then). I also read that this bug may have been re-introduced to the BG:EEs by one of the more recent patches.

I should note that I'm NOT playing with the most recent update of BG2:EE installed, as I didn't like some of the changes that were made around the time of SoD's release.

So my question is, is this a known bug that has since been fixed by one of the more recent updates to BG2:EE? And by any chance, is there a hotfix out there that I could simply download and place in my override folder so that I could continue using my current version of the game?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 4,577
    I complained loudly when this bug was introduced into BG:EE. A lot of the older versions didn't have it.

A Google search turned this up on the Steam forum:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1291817837637320587/

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 8,984
    It's something to do with the projectile. My hypothesis is, the invisible projectile that carries the bard song effect from the singer to the listener has a finite speed; and a finite range. If they are moving, then the traveling projectile might have to go too far or take too long to reach the listener, and they they will be temporarily unaffected, until the next iteration of the projectile comes along. (I think the projectile fires every few seconds.)

Something like that.

This bothered me enough in my mod that I just decided to make all bard songs have limitless range, which allows applying them with no projectile. I'm pretty sure someone made a mod that makes the vanilla songs work that way.

tbone1BelgarathMTH
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 842

I recently began a playthrough of BG2:EE with Artemius' (quite excellent) troubadour kit mod installed, and I encountered some seemingly buggy behavior in which NPCs would intermittently lose the effects of bard songs on them when they were moving. I initially thought that this might be a bug related to the mod kit, but I tested out a vanilla bard on an unmodded download of BG2, and I encountered the same problem.

I did some research on this issue, and I read that this was reportedly an issue back in the vanilla BGs, although I can't recall encountering it myself (although admittedly, I didn't play as a bard much back then). I also read that this bug may have been re-introduced to the BG:EEs by one of the more recent patches.

I should note that I'm NOT playing with the most recent update of BG2:EE installed, as I didn't like some of the changes that were made around the time of SoD's release.

So my question is, is this a known bug that has since been fixed by one of the more recent updates to BG2:EE? And by any chance, is there a hotfix out there that I could simply download and place in my override folder so that I could continue using my current version of the game?

This thread has hotfixes provided by @semiticgod that you can just drop into your override folder: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54364/is-the-bard-song-nerf-in-2-1-intentional/p1

Though I can't attest to whether they'll work in your current version of the game if you're not running the most recent version. (I think they should, but I'm not a modder, so don't hold me to that.)

SharGuidesMyHand