I'm doing a Druid run for the trilogy and have decided that it's either going to be an Avenger or Totemic Druid.
With my personal playstyle, the Totemic Druid has several strong advantages:
- Possible 18 Strength, meaning better chance to land Harm spells, and better attacks with Belm + Firetooth.
- Ability to wear Ankheg plate armor in BG1 and SoD. Possibly better armor than Avenger in BG2 too? Not sure about dragon scales. It's difficult to find reliable information on this.
- Great summons. In BG2, the spirit animals are even summoned *instantaneously* as an innate ability, which a lot of people under-estimate. If you're suddenly jumped by vampires, for example, you can pause and get very quick shields. Huge advantage that isn't discussed much. The summons can also synergise tremendously with party mages, since the spirit animals are immune to Web and Cloudkill.
The disadvantage is:
- Sucky level 1 & 2 spellcasting. Armor of Faith, Bless and Slow Poison are OK, but I wouldn't notice if they weren't there.
As for the Avenger, it has the following advantages:
- Decent arcane spells that fill out the spellbook nicely, such as Web and Improved Invisibility. Web can be combo'd with the Sword Spider form. I'm tempted to say that Web alone is worth the price of admission.
- A fire salamander form that can synergise with Firestorm.
- Reduced strength. Lots of posts say this doesn't matter, but I'm mainly thinking about Harm in the mid/end game. I guess potions and spells could compensate.
- Worse armor availability compared to Totemic Druid. Although would Ironskins make this trivial?
- No spirit animals :-(
I'm struggling to decide which one! Anyone have any strong opinions on the matter?