Skip to content

Horrid Wilting and Incendiary Cloud AoE radius decreased in 2.5 patch?

According to the IWD:EE manual, Horrid Wilting has an AoE radius of 35 ft, while Incendiary Cloud is 18 ft. Now, I was in the middle of a solo Dragon Disciple run, when the 2.5 patch came out, and only now have I got access to level 8 spells for the first time ever (this is the first time I've progressed this far in IWD:EE). And I notice that in the in-game description, Horrid Wilting has a radius of 17 ft :/ , while Incendiary Cloud is only 6 ft! :'(

My question is, are these the original EE values, or have these been recently decreased and balanced by the 2.5 patch?

It's a little disappointing to find them less than what I saw in the manual, but I guess this makes it more challenging. ;)

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited May 2018
    Now, I finally used Horrid Wilting, and it's radius is so small compared to BG2! The spell's animation doesn't allow me to clearly understand how wide the area of effect actually is, but considering the number of monsters affected (in a saturated, densely-packed crowd), it appears to be roughly the same as Incendiary Cloud. I guess Skull Trap is a better substitute for it, considering that they are both user-unfriendly spells in IWD, and Skull Trap is 5 levels lower than Horrid Wilting but does nearly the same damage over what appears to be a wider radius. (Lower casting time of Skull Trap and its ability to be set as traps is also to be taken into account.)

It's really surprising to me to find a spell so powerful in BG2, to be so crippled in IWD! :D
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

It's really surprising to me to find a spell so powerful in BG2, to be so crippled in IWD! :D

To be fair, there's a lot of spells where the opposite is true.
    ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyaStummvonBordwehr
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Sleep and Insect Swarm are two more spells that are awesome in BG and meh in IWD. The extra druid spells make up for that imho though.
    QuartzRik_KirtaniyaStummvonBordwehr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    QuartzRik_Kirtaniya
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Balrog99 said:

Sleep and Insect Swarm are two more spells that are awesome in BG and meh in IWD. The extra druid spells make up for that imho though.

Web also receives two nerfs in IWD, one relatively minor and one extremely substantial.

First, the minor nerf: IWD's Web has a slightly smaller radius, (I believe, descriptions are a bit fuzzy but it feels a little bit smaller in practice), and lacks the -2 save penalty. Not a huge deal, but like I said, a minor nerf.

Second, the extremely substantial nerf: IWD's Web is ugly. Really, really, really ugly. It's glowy and obtrusive and looks goofy and I don't like casting it a lot just because it makes me sad to look at it.
    Balrog99Quartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    SomeSort said:

IWD's Web is ugly. Really, really, really ugly. It's glowy and obtrusive and looks goofy

You just described 90% of the spells in IWD. :D
    ThacoBell