Skip to content

A new voice for the BG2 Xan mod

slick_liquidslick_liquid Member Posts: 13
Hi friends,

Some of you might remember the quite celebrated mod that brought Xan into BGII: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=164&Itemid=113

I can't see any way to reach the original author, and I had a play around with it myself recently but found the voice set they used a bit jarring, possibly recorded on some sort of budget mic like many of the mod voices of yore. I'm a voice actor part time and I was wondering whether folks might be interested in an overhaul of the sound used in the mod? I'm nearly done transcribing the BGII Xan mod's lines to re-record them and finding them well written so far, about 200 lines in.

Here's my go at a Xan impression (just reeling off some of his lines from BGI):

Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Comments

• evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    If you redo the entire voiced script in the mod and release it as a weidu add-on, I'd definitely use it. Honestly, the similiar voices between Xan and Angelo are the only reason I don't use the Angelo mod.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Great job IMO!

Xan's original voice acting is (in?)famously inimitable, BUT I think you've come as close as anyone has to recapturing his original (lack of) spirit.

Although the maker of the Xan BG2 mod put together a very well-written mod, even he himself acknowledged some of the limitations of the voice acting. I suspect that he would agree that you did a great job of capturing what he was going for.

If you redo the entire voiced script in the mod and release it as a weidu add-on, I'd definitely use it. Honestly, the similiar voices between Xan and Angelo are the only reason I don't use the Angelo mod.

Ironically, the same voice acting that some would say is underwhelming for Xan is PERFECT for the Angelo mod - "Holla chief," "I can hear you jeeeeessssst fine."
  • slick_liquidslick_liquid Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the kind feedback folks! I'll post again when I've done recording the 300ish BGII voice lines for Xan. Hopefully will be able to get in touch with the mod's creator Kulyok also - I've registered on the Pocket Plane forums so fingers crossed!

Hi friends,

Here's my go at a Xan impression (just reeling off some of his lines from BGI):

Cheers!

On a side note, I never realized until listening to this just how much contempt Xan has for Eldoth.
  • slick_liquidslick_liquid Member Posts: 13
    Hey folks, I've left a v1 of my BG2 Xan voice here, http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29762.0.html

Please feel free to feed my back with your thoughts. I'm aware that some bits are inconsistent but I really felt like I was nailing the (BG1) Xan voice towards the end (which, to be as counter-intuitive as AD&D 2.5's armor class rules, was mostly near the lower numbers - the first of these files were recorded last).

Cheers all!