Skip to content

OC should allow henchman inventory management

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
Hey ya
Since henchman inventory management is already available at the expansions, why shouldn't it be allowed at the OC?
grom56

Comments

• fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017
    Bear in mind that the OC was created at an earlier stage in development than the expansions (read: at that time maybe even the developers couldn't/didn't know how do it), and it will require A LOT of work to recode the henchman system of the OC into a more companion-like system like you find in SoU and HotU. It also requires that the modules themselves that together is the OC are updated to current code patch levels (1.74 in the EE, 1.69 in the DE).
    I guess for one who burns for it AND has the necessary skills it is doable, and I hope either Beamdog or some other genius provides this for us. But such a change may result in that the EE takes longer to finish, since such changes as I said will require more work - and testing, let's not forget about that (said the software tester ;-))!
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    iirc in the OC henchmen were kind automatically upgraded and managed. you could give them potions but that's it.

in the expansion the main use for them was mules to carry all my loot to town :)
    deltago
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Even if it takes time, I would like to see this as well. It doesn't have to be available at release, but can be patched in at a later date.
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    I'm pretty sure i used some mod to change henchman inventory in OC. But for me it was imposible to add secon henchman to OC campaing so im curious if that will be posible in EE.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    *raises hand* Looking for *something* enhanced to test. This would be a no brainer. Bioware really dropped the ball in never updating the OCs from their basic forms. I'm really hoping that Beamdog follows from the examples that they've set with the Infinity games by also keeping NWN OCs and premium modules uniform and up to current patch levels.
    Cerabelusgrom56ricoyung
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    +1000
  • PracticalKatPracticalKat Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2017
    I'm only now playing SoU after going through much of the OC. Tony K's AI sorts out inventory management and improves tactics in the OC. Though not henchman levelling. Can also "force" different weapon usage by removing default weapons and armour and replacing them with others.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    Personally I do not know how it could be feasible to insert the rules of HoTU's henchmen in SU and OC campaigns ... but I honestly would like if all 3 campaigns had the same system adopted in HoTU on the henchmen, there would be more possibilities of building the party and then more choice and personalization of the own PG without having to go to find subtle and dark stratagems to "circumvent" certain meetings and be able to play alone.Virtually the OC if you're not a magician I do not use evokes creatures do not go much trouble, use the Pixie to crack traps and locks, and the half-barbaric henchman for damage close and bother ... practically uqeste are the build that I see more feel .. but I was more or less so when I played the OC...

Personally to the diffusion of BG1-2 and IWD here it was almost bound up since the creation of the character to play a magician for all campaigns if you have to play alone, and there being a system of companions adequate in 'OC and in SU that you allows you to cover certain discrepancies and so to play the build you want I see it hard.
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157

Personally I do not know how it could be feasible to insert the rules of HoTU's henchmen in SU and OC campaigns

Oh, it's entirely feasible and I could manage it. There's at least three catches, though:

1, it would be considered a user-made module rather than an official campaign, hence people going to the official campaign wouldn't be playing the updated version

2, if Beamdog decides to change ANYTHING about the original campaign people would likely play Beamdog's version, making my effort moot

3, I would then effectively be responsible for overhauling the original campaign because otherwise the henchmen changes wouldn't be present if other people did versions (unless they also changed the henchmen obviously...the point is then you have multiple versions of the original campaign floating around)

I mean, if Beamdog wanted me to overhaul parts of the OC and then would implement that in the official campaign section I'd be happy to volunteer the time...but I don't want to go through all that effort only to have it wasted.
    HunterRayder93Prince_Raymond
  • Sunssarathi2029Sunssarathi2029 Member Posts: 32
    NWN OC needs to update to later version. Some nwe people might get bad idea becouse of old systems it uses.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    Balkoth said:

Personally I do not know how it could be feasible to insert the rules of HoTU's henchmen in SU and OC campaigns

Oh, it's entirely feasible and I could manage it. There's at least three catches, though:

1, it would be considered a user-made module rather than an official campaign, hence people going to the official campaign wouldn't be playing the updated version

2, if Beamdog decides to change ANYTHING about the original campaign people would likely play Beamdog's version, making my effort moot

3, I would then effectively be responsible for overhauling the original campaign because otherwise the henchmen changes wouldn't be present if other people did versions (unless they also changed the henchmen obviously...the point is then you have multiple versions of the original campaign floating around)

I mean, if Beamdog wanted me to overhaul parts of the OC and then would implement that in the official campaign section I'd be happy to volunteer the time...but I don't want to go through all that effort only to have it wasted.
    Well, Mr. Balkoth, as far as I know Beamdog is currently hiring. You could always apply to work for them in order to officially implement your changes to the henchmen inventory management system of the OC. You put in the time, they compensate you for the time you put in. Win-win. The worst they could do is say "No" to your proposal.

• InnovaInnova Member Posts: 4
    I don't know why they wouldn't want to just update the OC systems to work with the later expansions content. None of it is game breaking. The skills and feats are already retroactively available. Why not make the new features used in the original campaigns, just makes a better gaming experience.
    Prince_Raymond
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

The Update the OCs to the current patch levels card has now been moved from 'Proposed' to 'Long-term active > 3 months'.

This is great news! I hope that in part this will also be in SoU for the 2nd henchman, this will also give some hope to Russian players who have been calling this for a long time.
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157

Well, Mr. Balkoth, as far as I know Beamdog is currently hiring. You could always apply to work for them in order to officially implement your changes to the henchmen inventory management system of the OC. You put in the time, they compensate you for the time you put in. Win-win. The worst they could do is say "No" to your proposal.

I'm quite content with my current job, but thank you -- doubt they'd want to be hiring someone for like 5-10 hours a week. And looks like they might just be doing it anyway.
    Prince_Raymond