Skip to content

Stuck with effect AC bonus (0)

ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
Hi everyone!
I'm working on a new mod (my very first one actually) and have run into an issue I can't fix. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here is what I've done:

I've created a copy of the original spcl643.spl (Werewolf form) and named it lvl6463.spl. I've added a global effect (Type: AC bonus (0)) so whenever my shapeshifter druid changes into a Werewolf, he gets the AC bonus I specified in the effect. This works just fine but the issue is, when he changes back to the natural human form, the global effect does not wear off somehow and his AC is set to 0 instead of the expected 9.

His base AC in human form is 9 (gets -1 dexterity bonus). When he changes to Werewolf form, his base AC is set to 1 by the effect I created and he also gets -2 dexterity bonus in this form which brings his AC to -1. However, when I change back to the natural human form, his AC becomes 0. This clearly shows that the global effect is still active and his AC is still set to 1 (still getting -1 dexterity bonus).

The timing mode on the effect is set to 'Instant/while equipped - 2' so when the modified werewolf form (lvl6436.spl) isn't active anymore, I would expect the AC effect to wear off. What am I doing wrong here?

I've tried to remove the above mentioned effect upon returning to human form by adding Remove effects by opcode (337) to the spell that activates human form (SPIN124.spl) but that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aquadrizzt
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    Thank you for the quick reply subtledoctor!

I've put the AC bonus effect inside of an ability in lvl4643.spl (Shapeshift: Werewolf) set its timing mode to 1 permanent until death as you suggested. When I use the inner ability of SPIN124.spl (Shapeshift: Natural Form), the AC Base effect from lvl4643.spl still remains.

I've also tried to put an opcode 321 into SPIN124.spl and set its source to lvl4643.spl to remove the unwanted effect but to no avail.

My shapeshift spell has 4 added weapons 'claws' each becoming available at a different level. At first, I had the AC bonus effect added to these weapons - and it worked just fine - but the downside of that approach is that it adds the name of the weapon to the 'Inventory screen' under Armor Class. I didn't like that, so I thought I'd add the AC Bonus to the shapeshift spell instead. This has worked, I just can't figure put how to get rid of the effect after returning to human form.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Scofield

Oh right, sorry, becauce opcode 0 with timing 1 becomes an indelible change in the .CRE file. So try using timing mode 9 instead, or else timing mode 0 with an irrationally high duration, like 65536. Then the 321 should work.

This did the trick! Thanks a lot!

Oh right, sorry, becauce opcode 0 with timing 1 becomes an indelible change in the .CRE file. So try using timing mode 9 instead, or else timing mode 0 with an irrationally high duration, like 65536. Then the 321 should work.

@subtledoctor, I'm in need of your experience yet again. This time, I've got some trouble with spell icons.
    I made changes to the spell (spcl643.spl) that turns the Shapeshifter druid into a werewolf and copy it to the override folder by using the following lines:

COPY ~The_Improved_Shapeshifter_Mod\Copy\spcl643.spl~ ~override~
    SAY NAME1 @3
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @4

It's all good except for the spell icon, and I don't mean the one which is shown in the ability menu but the one that's supposed to show up at the top of the spell information screen (when right click on a spell) - as you can see in the below picture. The same .BAM marked by the green arrow should appear in the box marked by the red one. In Near Infinity, I have the correct .BAM set for both 'spell icon' & 'icon' so I'm not sure why it won't show up.

@subtledoctor, I'm in need of your experience yet again. I made changes to a spell (spcl643.spl) and copied it to the override folder by using the following code:

COPY ~The_Improved_Shapeshifter_Mod\Copy\spcl643.spl~ ~override~
    SAY NAME1 @3
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @4

It works fine except for the spell icon and I don't mean the one in the ability menu but rather the one that should show up at the top of the spell information screen (when right click on spell). As you can see in the picture below, the same .BAM marked by the green arrow should be shown in the box marked by the red one.

In Near Infinity, I set both 'spell icon' & 'icon' fields to the same value yet it only works with the icon in the ability menu. Please advise, what am I missing?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

No idea. Did you change the icon in some way? Why not see what the vanilla SPCL643 has in the various icon fields, and copy it from there?

I had a second look at the vanilla SPCL643 and compared it to my version and finally figured it out.
    The .BAM file name in the 'spell icon' field MUST end with a letter 'B' in order to be displayed in the spell information screen! Who would have thought...
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Scofield said:

I had a second look at the vanilla SPCL643 and compared it to my version and finally figured it out.
    The .BAM file name in the 'spell icon' field MUST end with a letter 'B' in order to be displayed in the spell information screen! Who would have thought...

It's not exactly this, but close.
    The icon specified in each ability is not linked to the icon in the description.
    The icon specified for the spellbook (at 0x3a) determines the icon displayed in the description. It's last letter is replaced with 'B'.

Either way, you need a version of the icon that ends in "B", but you do not have to use it for the ability's icon.
    You can have "nameC" at 0x3a, "nameD" for the ability icon, and it will display "nameB" in the description.
    Scofield
    kjeron said:

Scofield said:

It's not exactly this, but close.
    The icon specified in each ability is not linked to the icon in the description.
    The icon specified for the spellbook (at 0x3a) determines the icon displayed in the description. It's last letter is replaced with 'B'.

Either way, you need a version of the icon that ends in "B", but you do not have to use it for the ability's icon.
    You can have "nameC" at 0x3a, "nameD" for the ability icon, and it will display "nameB" in the description.
    That's certainly useful to know. Thanks for the explanation!