Skip to content

Having trouble installing WeiDU mod correctly for both BGEE and BG2EE

fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
edited May 2018 in General Modding
I'm making a new mod and am having trouble getting the strings to show up in BGEE. It works perfectly in BG2EE but the strings will not be written into the dialog.tlk for BGEE. I have checked to make sure the file isn't write protected but no luck. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Also how do I script it in weidu to only copy certain files in BGEE but not BG2EE and vice a versa?
Post edited by fortyseven on

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Not exactly sure what's wrong on your first issue. What's happening more precisely? Does the mod seem to install but has no string reference but everything else works properly? Or does it have errors? Have you properly closed any third-party programs that use dialog.tlk? EEKeeper for instance. We could use your code too, maybe that will give us more insight.

Concerning your second issue, you want to use ACTION_IF (GAME_INCLUDES bg2ee):
    ACTION_IF (GAME_INCLUDES ~bg2ee~) BEGIN
    //list of actions, including file copies etc...
    END
    ACTION_IF (GAME_INCLUDES ~bgee~) BEGIN
    //list of actions
    END

You may either use GAME_INCLUDES with one game (so GAME_INCLUDES ~bgee~ will return true if you're trying to install your mod on bgee, sod or eet) or GAME_IS with a list of game (so to get the same result you will need GAME_IS ~bgee sod eet~)

Concerning the list of actions, so that your tp2 file doesn't get too messy I would advise making 2 separates tpa files, one for bgee and one for bg2ee and use INCLUDE:

ACTION_IF (GAME_INCLUDES ~bg2ee~) BEGIN
    INCLUDE ~filepath/bg2eetpa.tpa~
    END
    ACTION_IF (GAME_INCLUDES ~bgee~) BEGIN
    INCLUDE ~filepath/bgeetpa.tpa~
    END
    fortyseven
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited May 2018
    For SoD from GOG or Steam you need to run modmerge before you can mod it, otherwise the strings will be mixed up or not show.
    Arunsunfortyseven
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2018
    Hi Arunsun the mod installs everything in BGEE and is completely functional. Only the strings don't show and die dialog.tlk is unaffected. No other programs are running at the time. The code I have used in the tp2 for the strings is as follows:

AUTO_TRA ~MyMod/tra/%s~

LANGUAGE ~English~
    ~English~
    ~MyMod/tra/english/MyMod.tra~

BEGIN "My Mod" //

COPY ~MMod/itm/x.itm~ ~override~
    SAY DESC @1

The rest is just copying of game files.

What is intersting the weidu programm mentions no additon of strings when installing for BGEE but it does this when installing for BG2EE.

With the second issue, thanks for helping with the code! I have tried your first suggestion, as it is only very few files that differ between the 2 games. And it works they install. But the Weidu programm gives a warning message:

WARNING: GAME_INCLUDES has no rule for BG2EE
    Copying 1 file ...
    WARNING: GAME_INCLUDES has no rule for BGEE

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED

Is this an issue?
    Post edited by fortyseven on
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited May 2018
    What's the point of the two zeros in your COPY block?
    Otherwise I don't see any issue, but try:
    SAY 0x50 @1
    SAY 0x54 @1

As for the other issue, it's actually my mistake, game_includes doesn't take bgee or bg2ee for arguments so I guess you have to use game_is with a list of game.
    fortyseven
    edited May 2018
    Oh it made a mistake and didn't copy it right. the acutal command reads:

COPY ~MyMod/itm/x.itm~ ~override~
    SAY NAME1 @1
    SAY NAME2 @1
    SAY DESC @2

And bingo on the second issue. Now works like a charm!

All I need now is to get the strings to work for BGEE.
    jastey said:

For SoD from GOG or Steam you need to run modmerge before you can mod it, otherwise the strings will be mixed up or not show.

Jastey, this was the solution! Could not get the dialog.tlk out of write protection without modmerge.

One question though, the modmerge has changed the UI back to SoD even though I was using the 2.5.15 beta. SoD is not part of the beta release so I'm wondering if the modmerge has garbled up the general game files?
    Arunsun
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Unfortunately, I don't know... Best ask in the modmerge thread?