Skip to content

Question Regarding (Modding) Dual Class and Kits, and Weapon Proficiency

ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 222
In regards to fighters, when they Dual-Class into another class with lower weapon proficiency limits, like a mage, once they regain their fighter levels they can now achieve Grand-Mastery in any usable weapon type (so no swords for clerics) and style. In an upcoming mod I plan to create Fighter which Dual-Classes into a kit (mage)--which is possible using the correct code. However, I wish to put some limits upon the number of max proficiencies and types of styles that this Dual-class character can choose--like only 2 per weapon, and no access to certain weapon styles. My question is: is there an easy way to achieve this within this engine? As it so happens, the Dual-class character will simply use the fighter Prof. limits, so changing the (mage) kit weapon limits will only affect the character before it regains its fighter levels. Further, I am aware of the mod that makes all Dual-Class characters use the limits of their second class (Enforce PnP Proficiency Rules on Dual-Classed Characters by @subtledoctor), but I do not wish to change all dual-class characters, only this one (mage) kit, which the player dual classes into.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 222
    @subtledoctor
    But I thought it was (more or less) impossible for a character to have two kits at the same time? regardless of whether they have two base classes. For my purposes, the most important thing is that it is the Mage class that is "kitted", which means any solution that would rob the Mage class of its kit is off the table.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor
    My general goal was to try to make something similar to the manner in which "Multi-classing" works in 3rd Edition (given my general modding project is to make 2e IE games similar to 3e); in which case 2e Dual-class functions somewhat closer to Multi classing in 3e rather than Demi-human multi classing in 2e. That is, in 3e you can start as one class but then choose to begin leveling in another class, rather than dividing your XP between two classes at the same time.

With what you said, its beginning to make me think I should aiming to overhaul the entire dual class system/multi class system into something else.

With that said, how would you go about limiting all (Warrior) dual-classes so that their max Weapon pips is 2?
    @subtledoctor
    Taking what you've said into consideration. I'm still planning to do a massive re-balancing of how dual classing works, to make it less convoluted and also reduce its potential for cheapness.

As it stands I plan to make it function more like Prestige classes in 3e, by making Dual-classing only possible at level 2 (of the original class) and the secondary class, functioning as a kit, which functions as a toned down combo of the two classes abilities, based on large part on the combo prestige classes of 3e and 3.5.

Something like this:
    A Level 2 Fighter dual classes to an Eldritch Knight, a mage kit (some possible stats i discussed in an earlier post )
    A Level 2 Fighter dual classes to an War Priest, a cleric kit
    A Level 2 Thief dual classes to a Arcane Trickster, a mage kit
    and so on and so forth.

I was considering altering the dual classing requirements, and thus to set up your desired dual class you would have to choose a special Kit from the base classes kits.
    For example, if you wanted to dual class to an Eldritch Knight you would first pick the Eldritch Knight Fighter Kit, and when that Fighter Kit reaches level 2 it actives a script that applies the Mage "Eldritch Knight" Kit (and thus deactivates and replaces the Fighter kit) and thus the player can dual class into the Eldritch Knight Mage.

I've already thought of a solution for the starting a new game in SOD or BG2 by giving the initial kit an passive ability at level 3 that automatically sets their level to 2, thus when starting BG2 they are simply ready to dual class, albeit starting as a level 2.
    edited May 2018
    edited May 2018

A better possibility would be if Beamdog would add some kind of in-game method to manipulate the OriginalClass field... but I've been asking for that for ~5 years, across 3 patches, and never had sny satisfaction. :rage:

Here's an idea: add a new fighter kit, identical in every way to a trueclass fighter, and replace the trueclass fighter with this one in the kit menus. Then in weaprof.2da, restrict the real trueclass fighter to 2 points in any weapon. Now, if anyone dual-classes and chooses a kit in their 2nd class, their 1st class will revert to trueclass (make sure to use AddKit, not SuperAddKit) and they will be restricted to 2 stars in any weapon, just like the (real, behind-the-scenes) trueclass fighter.

Wouldn't replacing the true-fighter with a kit possibly mess up a lot of in regular campaign and in-game codding? Is there anything else I'd need to take care of to do that?
    edited May 2018
    @subtledoctor
    Did your Enforce PnP Proficiency Rules on Dual-Classed Characters cause any problems while coding to replace the True-Fighter with a kit? Ie did you have to code anything else?