Skip to content

Neverwinter EE - MS0020 error cant join multiplayer

GreenDizzGreenDizz Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Technical Support
I just got Neverwinter EE from steam but i cant join the multiplayer part. Anyone knows what to do?https://imgur.com/a/77qs1

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • falnos24865falnos24865 Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem. Deleting the 'cdkey.ini' file does cause it to be recreated, but it does not have a valid key afterwards. As I bought it on Steam there is currently NO WAY to recover a lost cd key for me. I contacted support and they were quite useless. I am very not happy that this issue causes me to not be able to play this game.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    @falnos24865 Did you purchase NWNEE first on Beamdog, or is this a first purchase on Steam?

Does your cdkey.ini which is recreated look like this?

;This is your CD Key for Neverwinter Nights.
    ;DO NOT share this CD Key with ANYONE.
    ;Apart from this installation, Beamdog, BioWare, and Atari will never ask you for this CD Key.
    [NWN1]
    YourKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

The x's represent what exactly would be there (do not post it here).

MS0020 stems from the failure of a firewall not giving proper online access (lots of steam posts about this error), and to the CD KEY in the cdkey.ini not matching purchased key records due to multiple purchases (headstart, english standard, english deluxe upgrade) to Steam from Beamdog.

Was it a headstart Beamdog purchase? Log-in to your Beamdog account and verify your Steam key offered on the Beamdog site, to the key in cdkey.ini.

Was it a release day Steam purchase? Log-in to your Steam account and verify your download via Steam. Right-click on Neverwinter Nights under Library. Click Properties. Click Local Files. Select Verify Integrity of Game Files.
  • Deep6Deep6 Member Posts: 9
    I also have this problem on Linux, did the verify operation and still no success, my cdkey.ini gets correctly recreated, but to no avail.
    Can someone help?
  • arvutarvut Member Posts: 3
    Purchased on steam, same error as mentioned above. I have tried all the mentioned "solutions" with no success. Can you please fix this issue before selling a defunct product on steam?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @arvut
    Shandaxx said:

Hi @GreenDizz

I do not know the solution right off the bat. I can only think of two things to try.

1.) You could try turning off your firewall and then try joining multiplayer again.
    Does it still happen then?

2.) Go to
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
    where USERNAME is your user name.

Move the file "cdkey.ini" out of that location. So that it is no longer in that folder. Just move it somewhere else. Then close down Steam, restart it and try again to join multiplayer.

This is the easiest solution to fixing your problem. If this still doesn't work send me a PM and I can try to help you figure out what else can be wrong. Sometimes if you had a previous install your cdkey will be wrong in the Neverwinter Nights documents folder - and Steam will not overwrite it to the correct one.

Cuv
    A. There is no firewall in place, I use NAT only and a rather secure linux distrubution (gentoo). The game launches, I have tried removing, moving and editing cdkey.ini (I even tried pasting my old NWN cdkeys from bioware into it, with no success). I also tried copying over the xp1.key, xp2.key, xp3.key files into the ~/Steam/library/steamapps/common/Neverwinter Nights/data/ directory where there are already two .key files (nwn_base.key nwn_base_loc.key) but doing so made the game unstartable so I removed those. I have verified files in steam, reinstalled, and yet no success playing multiplayer.

The "Error MS0020 You do not have a CD key that you can use in multiplayer. You should ask customer support at the digital store where you purchased the game for information on how to get your multiplayer-enabled CD key." persists...

To mention a few common pitfalls, I do not have iptables/nftables set up, I have tried connecting my ethernet cable without router inbetween (directly from PC to wall outlet). I can play other games just fine on steam, no portforwarding required. Nothing is blocked in router according to logs.

I do not have windows so I cannot try the solution mentioned by Deep6 about wrongly generated keys. This game should work just fine under linux, I purchased it to play multiplayer with a WORKING serverlist/buddylist.
  • jbbulletjbbullet Member Posts: 10
    Hello everyone. I bought on steam NWN:EE for a friend of mine. I'm helping her to configurate NWN to connect to my PW, but she has this error:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/423272617248555041/443393201756438549/sdqdadzddsqd.png
    I think her CD-Key is not working. But it's STEAM, not BD version. Could you help us?
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2018
    I am finding the same issue on this machine. It is a linux machine that could not run the beamdog client (at issue is that the client is 64 bit and my OS is 32 bit - it is 32 bit for reasons.

NWN is 32 bit software, and although the beamdog client would not run to install on this machine, it DID run on the linux partition of my desktop machine (which has 64 bit OS on it). I was told I could copy/paste the beamdog folder structure to other machines as a means of installing, BUT, they advise running the beamdog client 'at least once'. This means I can run nwn and play games locally but not in multiplayer using this computer. THAT is a problem for me.

If my analysis is amiss here, please illuminate what I've missed. If my analysis is correct, then I suspect what we need is a 32 bit beamdog client, or the specific instructions to bypass what it does 'on running at least once'.

EDIT TO ADD - manually editing the cdkey.ini file in the hidden folders fixed this multiplayer issue.
    Post edited by GM_ODA on
    Bumping this thread again, since no replies has been made in PM for over two months. The error MS0200 persists, Cuv has been given my steam_id and steam login name (may 29), is this game already dead for linux?