Skip to content

Shadow thief cellar key

Hey ya'll, new to posting, long time lurker. So long story short, I was playing BG2: EE and got stuck and left the game alone for a few months. Came back today to try and meet with Aran Linvail of the Shadow Guild and discovered I don't have the key I need to get to him. Went to his number 1 man for the key and he said he gave it to me.

What can I do from here without the key in my inventory? I bought the game through Steam so cheats haven't been working.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2018
    I think the console should work whoever you bought the game from. If you look for the location where your portraits, saved games etc are stored, you should see a file called Baldur.lua. Make sure that has the following line in
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    to activate the console (that assumes you're using game version 2.0 or more recent).

Alternatively you could use EEKeeper to add the key in to your inventory - I think it's KEY12.
    BorekThacoBell
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    Cheats works at edition 2.5 beta. And Cluaconsole is back in action as well. Need that to romance in my opinion.
  • TacticalBananaTacticalBanana Member Posts: 6
    I somehow was able to open the door anyway and now killed Bhodi. Thanks for the help! I may need these cheats in the future.
  • KrommKromm Member Posts: 3
    Good day all,

I am having the same problem where I dropped the Shadow thief cellar key by mistake and can't find it anymore. So I decided to use the Console command to get it back by typing CLUAConsole:CreateItem("Key12"). However, the created key to be found in my inventory is called Key to Aran's Lair instead of Shadow thief cellar key as it is named in BGIIEE and it is not opening the secret locked door on the first floor leading to the third floor where Aran Linvail is. Am I doing something wrong?
    Nevermind all,

Found my answer on STEAM forum. I guess I was using either a wrong or old code. The right code is MISC4S.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    As for what KEY12 is - that comes up if you side with Bodhi. That activates a different version of the hideout area with several locked doors inside, and KEY12 is the key to the last of those doors leading to Aran's room. You need to get the key from Haz, most likely by killing him.
    If you sided with Aran, of course, that door is unlocked from the start and you don't have to worry about a key for it.
    I will keep this in mind :) thanks again for your comment
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 174
    I actually ran into this bug some weeks ago - the key would not appear at all.

A partial work around is probably to side with Bodi :P - but I actually ended up
    reinstalling everything and starting anew, and then it worked, the key was
    transferred. I am not sure what causes the key to not be transferred, but I
    100% ran into this too. There is probably some akward explanation as to
    why that happens, possibly some mod making changes that could interfere.
    Although it may even happen on a vanilla installation, I am not sure.