Skip to content

Test Module (F9) Char Selection - let us choose default test char!

shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
One of my most-used Tooslet features is the "F9" - aka Build->Test Module commands. By default, this launches the mod with the first character from your vault by name alphabetically.

It would be an improvement if I could more intelligently select a test character, particularly for things like working on classes/feats/races/spells.

Ideal world: add a button to let me browse to select a default test char .bic; remember the selection in an .ini file and use that character until I choose another one.

-Dave

T0R0NeverwinterWightsProlericflyinghtcherShadowMprwo

Comments

• T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    learn something new everyday :*
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    edited May 2018
    I just create a bunch of characters all called "AAA AAA" and then copy the required version over as "aaaaaa000.bic" (numberic zeros :smile: ) that gets it sorted first both in character and filename and F9 will choose it automatically.
    Post edited by pscythe on
    virusman
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Yeah, just renaming the character file name should work.
    pscythe
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    Shouldn’t have to do that, though. I would be happy if the test module feature booted to the character selection screen before entering the module. I wouldn’t imagine that would be hard.
    dTd
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited May 2018

Shouldn’t have to do that, though. I would be happy if the test module feature booted to the character selection screen before entering the module. I wouldn’t imagine that would be hard.

You can, I thought I mention that a long time ago when this came up earlier.
    add to the end of you shortcut starter with a space.
    +LoadNewModule "Module Name"
    This will take you directly to the character selection screen. I use it all the time in my base testing.
    BalanorDerpCity
  • prwoprwo Member Posts: 69

I would be happy if the test module feature booted to the character selection screen before entering the module.

I'd prefer having a property in the nwtoolset.ini (or any config file) to select the test-character. I'm probably doing "F9" 100 times a day and I don't want to select my character each and every time.
    shadguy
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    Right now I just keep empty localvault and lcv directories, then just copy whatever character .bic file I want to test with into it. This way there is ever only 1 file in both directories, so F9 had to pick that everytime. Better than my previous approach stated above. :smile:
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2018
    Maybe a testvault would be helpful. :open_mouth: Being able to browse would let us make this (or whatever else) inside localvault anyway, perhaps.

-Dave
    DerpCity