Skip to content

Interesting NWN:EE Issue w/ Loading Saved Multiplayer Games

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited June 2018 in Technical Support
Greetings all,

Firstly, I apologize if I have the wrong forum for this (the trello board doesn't fit since it's a redmine issue, but yeah...). I be curious friends, I was scowering for a band of desperate men to aid me in a gallant task. I've come across a bug that another has posted on the redmine board that I was hoping other people may have encountered (since it seems to not be all that wide-spread, and is impacting me greatly at the moment) which is preventing me from being able to properly host any Multiplayer games at the moment.

The bug is listed below:
https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36639

Essentially, after conjuring up roughly 10 or so saved games (single player and multiplayer), I noticed that whenever I go to load a Multiplayer game now, the most recent save seems to be disappeared. If I attempt to load the second most recent save, I get the most recent save. The name, picture, details, etc, all coincide with the second latest game, but load the most recent game.

In short:

Game A is the game I am trying to load. Game A is not listed. I select Game B, and Game A is loaded. If I go back and try to load Game C, Game B is loaded instead.

I am not sure if this is related to the number of games in my save game directory, or if something weird occurred in one of them to start causing the issue, but the bug is not present in any form when I load a single player game.

Hoping anyone else can shed some light on this, since so far it seems to be just me and E L on redmine.

Thanks!

Edit: I doubt it's related to Darkness Over Daggerford (since the OP of the redmine bug posted his issue back in April), but it did start occurring for me around that time. A friend of mine and I started up a multiplayer game of Darkness Over Daggerford (before realizing it was single player only) and we encountered some seriously hilarious and game breaking bugs immediately (which was to be expected).

We attempted to load these characters into a game of Witch's Wake and were able to play and save it successfully, but the instant we attempted to load that game up later is when the above tomfoolery began.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Thanks a lot for the report. Looks like it's already been logged into our internal tracker - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35794 and currently is being looked at.

Sorry for this experience.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Heya,

I don't see the issue on my end as I try to repro it with more than two dozen saves. Both SP and MP show up fine.

Please see if you have any antivirus up and running. We've had countless cases where AV was silently discarding or mangling reads and writes to the user directory.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, zip up you saves directory and email it to me in confidence (niv at beamdog com) and I'll see if I can repro it that way.

In any case, thanks for your elaborate report. :)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2018

Thanks a lot for the report. Looks like it's already been logged into our internal tracker - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35794 and currently is being looked at.

Sorry for this experience.

No need to apologize! Thanks for the information, it is very helpful! :)
    niv said:

Heya,

I don't see the issue on my end as I try to repro it with more than two dozen saves. Both SP and MP show up fine.

Please see if you have any antivirus up and running. We've had countless cases where AV was silently discarding or mangling reads and writes to the user directory.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, zip up you saves directory and email it to me in confidence (niv at beamdog com) and I'll see if I can repro it that way.

In any case, thanks for your elaborate report. :)

Thanks @niv, I will definitely send that over ASAP! The characters in question use custom portraits, I doubt that'd be an issue but if you need my custom portraits folder too, you need only ask.

As for anti-virus, I used to use 360 Total Security but have discarded it in favor of Microsoft Defender (for the time being) only. So far, I've not noticed anything like that, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the tip!
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Got the saves and we're now tracking it: #37585

It's part of the "make encrypted premium modules work in multiplayer again" thing that we've been fighting for a while.

Will advise of fix as soon as we have it.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    In the meantime, if it isn't obvious, all one has to do is copy or delete their old premium saves from the save directory to restore normal functionality.

So not a big deal at all, now that we know what the cause is.

Thanks again guys for your hard work! :)@niv @JuliusBorisov @beamdog