Skip to content

fmc vs cleric/ranger which is better

Hi,

My plan for the next play is a party of 4-5:

Undead Hunter
fmt
Bard
fmc or cleric/ranger

I heard and read a lot there about fmc is really strong, but is it stronger than cleric/ranger or more useful in party ?
I will play in hard or insane diff.

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Hm yes i felt it last time, about the too many mages thing. Do you think the bard can cover the arcane magic at alone ? Or use something different ?
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    If you're afraid of a lack of scrolls, you can always throw a sorcerer into the mix.
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Danacm

A bard is a solid addition to any IWD party. I did a run with a bard as my only arcane caster and had no major problems.

If you're willing to build a party of up to five characters, you should take @Dev6 's advice and add a sorcerer to the fifth slot.

Now for some shameless self-promoting, I made some mods that may be of your interest.

The I Hate Undead Kitpack adds an Undead Hunter version that is closer to its PnP counterpart (the Ghost Hunter)

Deities of Faêrun has two kits that can be used by Ranger/Clerics: Fastpaw of Baervan (Gnome-only) and Talon of Malar (Human and Half-Orc only).
    Dev6DanacmThacoBellmashedtaters
    Raduziel said:

@Danacm

A bard is a solid addition to any IWD party. I did a run with a bard as my only arcane caster and had no major problems.

If you're willing to build a party of up to five characters, you should take @Dev6 's advice and add a sorcerer to the fifth slot.

Now for some shameless self-promoting, I made some mods that may be of your interest.

The I Hate Undead Kitpack adds an Undead Hunter version that is closer to its PnP counterpart (the Ghost Hunter)

Deities of Faêrun has two kits that can be used by Ranger/Clerics: Fastpaw of Baervan (Gnome-only) and Talon of Malar (Human and Half-Orc only).

I will try your undead hunter mod, the stronger turn undead seems useful. :)
    Raduzielmashedtaters
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    It is true there is a scroll shortage in IWD, but it's less of a problem than you might think as long as you think of FMCs/FMTs the right way. The reason FMCs/FMTs are so strong is a small selection of buffs that make them stronger melee combatants than FCs/FTs as well as a small selection of save-or-die mage spells that don't depend on caster level for their effectiveness. As long as you give those particular spells to your FMT/FMC, you can and should give the rest to your mage or bard, whose higher caster level will let him make much better use of fireball and the like than FMTs/FMCs ever could.

Undead hunters and cavaliers are probably the strongest pure melee combatants in the game so you won't go wrong with either of them at the head of the party. I like a lot of mages and think there's a decent case for filling out the rest of the party with FMT, FMC, ranger/cleric, bard, and sorcerer. For flavor you could consider replacing the ranger/cleric or FMC with a fighter/druid, and for power you could consider replacing the bard with a second sorcerer.

Danacm
    The main reason for bard is the sith song, because i like to rest rare in the middle of the dungeons and always try to manage my spells as resources.
    The party base characters are the undead hunter, bard and FMT is. The fourth is maybe the ranger/cleric( because @Raduziel show me the point about FMC) and if i take a fifth mate, idk maybe try a sorcerer, or use a plain fighter for more durability.
    But on the other hand, i never used FMC before, but ranger/cleric yes. So in the case of four person party, may give it a try and hope for the best.