Skip to content

Can't Export and Import a Character for BG1:EE?

FQVBSinaFQVBSina Member Posts: 39
I understand I should be able to export from BG1:EE into BG2 and have the character keep whatever he can keep, but can I also save a BG1:EE character with good rolls for another new BG1:EE game? When do I need to export to do that?

Thanks

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2018
    Yes, you totally can. You can export her whenever you want (through the Record screen). And then during the character creation in BG:EE you just have to Import that character.
  • FQVBSinaFQVBSina Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2018

Yes, you totally can. You can export her whenever you want (through the Record screen). And then during the character creation in BG:EE you just have to Import that character.

Well I did. I saved her as 10BARD following the naming convention, and during import, it is not on the list. It is also not with the other 01 - 09 presets. It is by itself in the documents/my games/baldur's gate EE folder.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    From memory, although the BG2EE import picks up saved games from the BGEE folder, the same doesn't apply to character files. If you're trying to import into BG2EE, try moving or copying the character files into the Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/characters folder and then importing.

If you're trying to import into BGEE there should be no problem. Note that when selecting characters they're listed by name and not character file title - so the list would include the name of your character and not 10BARD.

The character file should be in the /characters sub-folder and not the main BGEE folder - is that the case with you?
    edited June 2018
    Grond0 said:

From memory, although the BG2EE import picks up saved games from the BGEE folder, the same doesn't apply to character files. If you're trying to import into BG2EE, try moving or copying the character files into the Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/characters folder and then importing.

If you're trying to import into BGEE there should be no problem. Note that when selecting characters they're listed by name and not character file title - so the list would include the name of your character and not 10BARD.

The character file should be in the /characters sub-folder and not the main BGEE folder - is that the case with you?

The character file is saved in the C:\documents folder under baldur's gate EE and character. When I overwrite the 01 - 09 presets, my exports appear on the import list. I tried to find the 01 - 09 preset files but I couldn't find them. Interestingly, when I overwrote the 08 and 09 presets, those appear in the same character folder with my two new exports, 10 and 11, but 10 and 11 don't appear on the import list.
    You don't need to use the same nomenclature - any name will do, the number isn't necessary. I wonder though if the problem is in the names you've used. The file name length is restricted to 8 characters and I know there have been quite a few oddities with the game in relation to the use of non-standard characters. Try exporting just using names like Test1, Test2 to see if they appear as available imports.
    Grond0 said:

You don't need to use the same nomenclature - any name will do, the number isn't necessary. I wonder though if the problem is in the names you've used. The file name length is restricted to 8 characters and I know there have been quite a few oddities with the game in relation to the use of non-standard characters. Try exporting just using names like Test1, Test2 to see if they appear as available imports.

Interesting. "test1" worked. Thanks. Why did that work but 10BARD didn't work? That is less than 8 characters and I don't see any non-standards?
    I'm afraid I'm not a computer expert, but BG is an old game in origin and goes back to the times when file names were much more restrictive than they are now. There are other glitches associated with that, for instance that your custom portraits won't appear in the game if you start the file name with a capital letter.

The problem is that the game is not recognizing file names starting with 1 (probably other numbers as well though I haven't tested that). The file name "10test" thus doesn't appear, though "010test" does. As to why that is - well just put it down as part of the rich tapestry of life :p.