Skip to content

New player, wondering...

I recently bought NWN:EE, and started to play a bit.

So I wonder, why do I want to play this?
The graphics are dated, so it must have something extra to excite me.
In the short bit of singleplay I noticed that your "party" - or single henchman - has pretty primitive behaviour, so it doesn't seem appealing to play a support class, as it is hard to control a front.

My conclusion is that the good play can be found in multiplayer, where the party has real brains.
Plus I imagine that the social roleplay aspect could be great, with nice party members.

But how is this organised?

One needs to meet people, the XP levels must be comparable.

I would think that some tavern in some online Persistent World would be the perfect assembly point for an adventure.

But do such taverns exist somewhere?
voidofopiniongrom56

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Just go into multiplayer and join some server . Click on the server details button to understand what they're about (some are heavy on the RP, others are more action packed) and also if they require custom downloads.

If you're no stranger to roleplay, I recommend just jumping into Arelith for a start. It is the "generic NWN server" and the most populous one. You should be able to get paired up with a party quick enough.
    After you feel like you've explored it enough you can browse the other servers, as usually each has a unique twist to it.
    voidofopiniondTdDerpCity
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    I have now visited Arelith a bit (but need to learn more basic mechanisms to handle the way of life there it seems), and read about a couple of others.

Many worlds require additional content, but it seems the basic instructions about applying mods have shifted deep down the archives of the forum.

Maybe I missed it, but I would suggest making some sticky introduction for new players somewhere.

I think I understand I just put a collection of files into certain directories to apply the mods, but then? Are they all independent and able to live next to each other, or should I be able to revert and somehow make a record of what I put in?

(Even better would be to put some documentation with the game package itself, but I realize that station has passed).
    voidofopinion
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    When you say mods, I'm assuming you mean modfications and not modules. So yes, "mods" will 95% take the form of a hak file and go into your hak directory. All the haks can live there happily and get along and will only affect a module that references that particular hak. After a while it does get confusing which hak goes with what module/pw but aside from OCD , there is no adverse effect.
    voidofopinionDerpCity
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    T0R0 said:

When you say mods, I'm assuming you mean modfications and not modules. So yes, "mods" will 95% take the form of a hak file and go into your hak directory. All the haks can live there happily and get along and will only affect a module that references that particular hak. After a while it does get confusing which hak goes with what module/pw but aside from OCD , there is no adverse effect.

See, just an explanation of these basic concept could go into that sticky thread somewhere.

I am a retired software engineer who has built complex systems in his time, and I assume this is not all rock science, but at the moment I have to reverse engineer the basic concepts from readme texts aimed at people with years of experience in this stuff. Or ask it at the forum of course.

The instructions for the PW that I considered required the CEP and a zip with 17 hak files wit a tlk file.

But I also would like to take a look at some modules for single play, as a bit of browsing pointed to so much intriguing content. Then I will probably run into new questions.

As the standard content of NWN is not that inspiring for all new players entering the system in 2018, advertising alternative paths - which are all freely available for the new game owner - could be important to attract new gamers that are not just returning from the original version.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    As a rule of thumb you simply match the file extension to the folder/directory that they go in. .mod files to modules, .hak to hak, .tlk to tlk etc. On their own they do not interact and live happily with one another. The individual modules have their own lists of which files they will load and the builder should have already sorted out any incompatibilities between them. All you have to do is play and hopefully enjoy. One minor point that a lot of people seem to have had a problem with is where exactly these folders are located. In line with Microsoft's guidance, they can all be found in the documents folder, in the Neverwinter Nights folder therein.

TR
    LottiT0R0Proont
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    The one folder that can cause conflict is the override.. But I suggest you refrain from putting anything in there until you know exactly what you're putting in there ! ;)
    LottiTarotRedhand
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2018
    What about .hak orders and conflicting .hak files if not placed in correct order (cep) and corresponding .tlk files? At least if you decide to build with them. Opens up a can of worms.
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116

What about .hak orders and conflicting .hak files if not placed in correct order (cep) and corresponding .tlk files? At least if you decide to build with them. Opens up a can of worms.

Luckily the player doesn't have to worry about it. :smile:

--------

@Lotti You might be interested in the Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool to help manage your module installations. It can create restoration packages to help you uninstall mods too.
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/neverwinter-nights-mod-installer-tool-nit