Skip to content

Help Removing CEP 265 Wemic and Brownie Races

WhitegraveWhitegrave Member Posts: 37
Hey there,

*yes, I seen the recent topic about this but I could not get the suggestions to work*

I'm having trouble removing the Wemic and Brownie races from character selection in my PW module.

I have tried:
- Editing the cep_top_2_65.hak racialdata to set "Player Race" from 1 to 0 on both Wemic and Brownie rows
- Editing the cep_top_2_65.hak racialdata by completely removing the Wemic and Brownie rows
- Creating my own clone of cep_top_2_65.hak as both above cases and loading that in place of the CEP version in my module's custom content page

All of which have resulted in either the race still being available, or getting the error "Missing required HAK file" when trying to join the server.

This is literally my first ever attempt to modify 2da content and would appreciate any wisdom.

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    The way I would do it would be to make your own hak. You'd export the racialtypes.2da, set the field to 0, and then put it in your hak, which then goes above the CEP Top Hak when put into the module. This is how I was able to make edits to both of them so they were more in line with the other race's power levels. The only downside is that it requires a player to have access to the hak, meaning you'll need a way to distribute it, such as through the Vault.
    dTd
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited June 2018
    Cep comes with dummy hak for this and for putting custom/override blueprints cep2_custom and cep2_build look at cep2_add_races_A also that is exactly related to races.
  • WhitegraveWhitegrave Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018
    DerpCity said:

The way I would do it would be to make your own hak. You'd export the racialtypes.2da, set the field to 0, and then put it in your hak, which then goes above the CEP Top Hak when put into the module. This is how I was able to make edits to both of them so they were more in line with the other race's power levels. The only downside is that it requires a player to have access to the hak, meaning you'll need a way to distribute it, such as through the Vault.

What I did try was creating a copy of cep_top_2_65.hak, renaming it, modifying the wemic/brownie rows, and adding it above cep_top_2_65 in the custom content list.

Upon doing so, every time I tried to join the server it would tell me I was missing a hak file -- though I am 100% certain I had the file in my hak folder. I even tried putting it in the override folder, and even under the hk/override folders in the actual steam directory for NWN:EE

*edit*

Just now I tried extracting the racialtypes.2ds from cep_top_2_65.hak, editing the wemic and brownie rows to have 0 for playerrace column. Saved and imported into my own fresh, empty hak. Added that hak file directly aboce cep_top_2_65 in the custom content page for my module.

I was able to successfully join the server this time, but the wemic and brownie races are still selectable. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Did I do something wrong?
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    You're running into the same issue I am. When I did the above, I removed the option of wemic selction for me, but only for me. In order for it to work for everyone, then everyone would need to edit their own, or we would have to distribute a custom hak to every player. This violates some of the basic core principals that we have held for a long time. Why would we do such a thing now? The whole point of this was so we wouldn't have to re-distribute more haks.

My suggestion? CEP should change their racial2da defaults, or Beamdog should find a way to mitigate the faucet to a drip instead of a torrent.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    If CEP changes their racialtypes.2da file everyone will have to redownload that particular CEP hak that has it, including you, which could be more of a download size than your own PWs custom hak with a modified racialtypes.2da in it.

You don't want to make your players download another hak, then force boot them OnEnter of your PW if they picked either of these two newly unlocked races.
    pscythedTd
  • Surreal_Surreal_ Member Posts: 5
    Keep in mind that simply editing the cep_top_2_65.hak isn't enough. Once you edit it, you need to remove it from your module, re-add it, and then build your module. At that point it should work just fine. You will have to distribute that edited hak to your players, though.
    Thanks for the input everyone.

As for getting this done, I'd much rather not edit the CEP top hak file but rather create my own hak above it that omits the wemic/brownie races. I wasn't able to get that to work.

By this I mean keeping all CEP files as they are, but inserting my own hak with a racialdata.2da above them that has wemic and brownie races set to 0 on playerrace columns.

Is it possible?
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I think DerpCity suggested this already. It's how I do it.
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168

If CEP changes their racialtypes.2da file everyone will have to redownload that particular CEP hak that has it, including you, which could be more of a download size than your own PWs custom hak with a modified racialtypes.2da in it.

You don't want to make your players download another hak, then force boot them OnEnter of your PW if they picked either of these two newly unlocked races.

No, I don't want to do either: I neither want them to download an additional hak -- which this new change forces on those PW Admins who have used CEP -- nor do I want to unceremoniously boot players after they choose either of these races which, by the way, though an easy short term solution, is inelegant and bad form.

I am truly saddened by this turn of events by Beamdog. I have been an advocate for many months. This last update has been one downgrade after another. I now have to consider actually going back to 1.69.

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited June 2018
    @Grizzled_Dwarflord I'm sorry if I don't agree with your stance. Beamdog added a feature that many, many players wanted, myself included; that being opening up the Race List to be an actual list you can insert races into. The fact that the CEP added two overpowered races that now show up in the race listing is on them, not on Beamdog. I'm not saying they're fully to blame either, as they probably added them back when NWN was a dying game and the hope for new patches was gone, so they didn't think it would matter, but its not Beamdog's fault that the CEP team set what was, at the time, a pointless field to 1 instead of 0.

Also, making your players download a module specific hak isn't exactly anything new. Plenty of modules and servers that I've seen require players to download a module specific hak, which you'd either have to download off of the Steam Workshop (where I see the most of these) or the NeverwinterVault. Considering the custom hak will only contain one file, it won't be a big download either. If they have to download the CEP, then one extra hak shouldn't be too much to ask for.
    Post edited by DerpCity on
    dTdMermut
  • Surreal_Surreal_ Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the input everyone.

As for getting this done, I'd much rather not edit the CEP top hak file but rather create my own hak above it that omits the wemic/brownie races. I wasn't able to get that to work.

By this I mean keeping all CEP files as they are, but inserting my own hak with a racialdata.2da above them that has wemic and brownie races set to 0 on playerrace columns.

Is it possible?

This is how I do it, you just have to make sure you're putting it in the right spot in your module load order. That is, place it exactly above the CEP 2.65 top hak, not at the top of the whole list.
    edited June 2018
    I managed to get it working. I had to place the hak higher in the list about the add_races_a file which also has a racialtypes.2da within it
    Post edited by Whitegrave on
    DerpCity
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    If that's the only thing you have in the hak, just put it at the top. "Let's nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure".
  • ZeroarkZeroark Member Posts: 22
    Hi, didn't read all the thread, but if the question is still outstanding, I've uploaded a package for anybody looking for a solution. Let me know if it works for you on the vault! (I've tested it on my module and other 2, but more feedback would help!)

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/cep-265-additional-races-fix
    dTd
  • CablefishCablefish Member Posts: 37
    Zeroark said:

Hi, didn't read all the thread, but if the question is still outstanding, I've uploaded a package for anybody looking for a solution. Let me know if it works for you on the vault! (I've tested it on my module and other 2, but more feedback would help!)

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/cep-265-additional-races-fix

So. Does this mean i can use the 2da sollution and thus getting rid of the races without players having to download any additional haks?
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Cablefish said:

So. Does this mean i can use the 2da sollution and thus getting rid of the races without players having to download any additional haks?

Yes and no.

If you use the racialtype.2da solution and turn on ELC characters with custom race won't be allowed to enter.
    If you use the hak then your module will require this hak for players.

And again, without ELC you cannot prevent players joining your server with these races. They will be able to do it no matter what. So if you don't use ELC for any reason (which is under NWN:EE extra dangerous because of the lack of nwnx security plugins) then you must check for these races in OnClientEnter module script and kick/boot such characters from your server.
  • Knight_ShieldKnight_Shield Member Posts: 51
    So if I change racialtypes.2da from 1 to 0 and rebuild module , it should fix this?