Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Last fight in ascension

Hello, i completed all of the ascension fights on hardest except the last fight. It is bugging me. I want to make a good plan for it.

I was thinking of this party:
- berserker/mage (or fighter/mage, what do you think ?)
- Minsc (always have him, not debatable)
- Jaheira (romance, not debatable)
- Nalia (because she is a mage)
- Aerie (because she is a mage, cleric spells help too)
- Imoen (because she is a mage)

Now you might think this to be a strange party for power play. But in the last fight, the biggest problem is that when you kill 1 enemy, mellisan teleports in and she is just insaine. SO my plan is to kill of all 5 enemies at once. Obviously the best and maybe only way for this is time stop bombardment - hense why i have so many mages.

My plan is to soften the enemies in first time stop, meaning case lower resistance on them and use that neat longsword that lowers the resistance also. Then use berserker/mage to get all chars to near death. And then just use time stops to cast all sorts of damage spells that will kill all 5 at once.

Next, that is if the last step is doable, mellisan. Her spawn demon ability is just insaine, i simply dont know how to get around that. But yeah, next step is to simply attack her with everything i got. So what do you think ? I really need advices because that last battle is frustration supreme

JuliusBorisovthe_sextein

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15,137
    edited June 8
    Have you tried to use the Remove Entourage from Ascension Fallen Solars component from https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66358/mod-jimfix-ascension-scs-fixes-general-tweaks? It'll address the demon summoning ability.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • chimaerachimaera Member Posts: 538
    Last time I've played Ascension Mel would rejoin the fight whenever a time stop was used, and she is immune to it. Your non mage characters would be sitting ducks then (no pfmw).

ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 5,580
    *whistles* Good luck, its a toughie. But yes, Mel is immune to time stop and she will punish you hard for using it. Abazigal also knows time stop and will cast it on you. If you can get one of the optional allies for this fight, they will help take a lot of heat off your party initially (they can still die). I personally take care of the squishes and casters first (Ilasera and Sendai). The more enemies you can take down, the easier the fight gets. I always have at least one character or summons occupying Abazigal, keeping him in melee seems to prevent his Time Stop VERY RELIABLY.
    When Mel joins the fight, DONT FORGET ABOUT YOU CHARNAMES NEW SPECIAL ABILITIES. You can wrest control of her demons and make them fight for you, and you get an ability to protect your character from time stop (its an active ability, so make sure to cast it when Mel starts casting timestop). When she timestops you, she WILL teleport to your charname and pop a greater whirlwind (this WILL kill you, period). A key part of the fight is preventing that. Aside from this, focus targets down (Yaga Shura has absurd health and just a physical attack, so he is a good last target.

Its a brutal fight, so don't feel even a little bad if you need to reduce the difficulty for this one fight. There is also a wonderful mod called "Turnabout" that allows you to summon allies to fight just like Mel. It really helps to distract all the bosses that would otherwise be killing you, and is really satisfying to fight side by side with these characters. Good luck.

StummvonBordwehr
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 504
    edited June 9
    I too am about to take this on. It's been years since I played Ascension. It didn't work with the EE versions for a while and when the beta first came out I was unaware of it. Around the time I was told about it, LOB mode was added and I chewed on that my last run through. This will be my first attempt at Ascension on LOB mode and would love to hear some pointers from anyone that has experience with it. Doesn't matter what difficulty to me, just tips in general would be cool.

A user that goes by the handle gorgonzola recommended using the soul reaver two handed sword on Yaga Sura because it drains the enemies THAC0 and can cause him to be unable to hit your team I think. I hear a protection from magic scroll can be cast on Sendai to keep her mage powers in check. I too have heard that waiting until they are all about to die before killing any of them will keep mellisan at bay. When I played it years ago I remember it being a huge jump in difficulty and I had to lower the difficulty to core rules at the time. It's been 10 years and I have learned a lot both on my own and from the community. I think I may be able to handle it. Unfortunately, LOB mode is permanent so if I get stuck I will probably have to uninstall Ascension to finish the game. Hopefully some members of this site have some tips that could help us get past this challenge.

Making friends with Balthazar is a major help because he is immune to time stop and will hurt your party if he is not on your side. Talking to him in the correct role playing options will get him to side with you for the final fight. If you are going to kill them at different times I hear that Illesara is the best one to go after first because her custom arrows can dispel your magic and cause some nasty side effects to your team. It's also worth pointing out again what thacobell said above. Use your new bhaal powers to stay alive during mellisan's time stops.

@Lord_Tansheron and @semiticgod are two users on this site I would be interested in hearing from on this topic as between the two of them they should be able to cover ultra modded out game setups and quirky in depth tactics. Also @Grond0 seems to play these ultra hard setups solo so his tactics have to be pretty solid I would think.

Post edited by the_sextein on
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 5,580
    The sould reaver isn't a permanent debuff, but its long enough that you can keep a target locked down so long as you can hit it.

Its funny, I don't use ANY kind of difficulty enhancing mods and I tend to play on Normal. But I happily put up with just this one brutal fight because the whole setpiece is amazing and the rest of the things Ascension does are just great.

When I beat the improved Acension/SCS Yaga Sura a week ago I had Serevok using the Ravager +6 and I think it's vorpral hit without save may have killed him because he had mid level health and then he suddenly died while I was fighting him. I don't know for certain that he is susceptible to the ravager's vorpal hit but I have reason to believe he might be. I think I'll use the soul reaver to keep his thaco down while some summons beat on him and then switch to the ravager when it comes time to clean house.

• Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 7

When I beat the improved Acension/SCS Yaga Sura a week ago I had Serevok using the Ravager +6 and I think it's vorpral hit without save may have killed him because he had mid level health and then he suddenly died while I was fighting him. I don't know for certain that he is susceptible to the ravager's vorpal hit but I have reason to believe he might be. I think I'll use the soul reaver to keep his thaco down while some summons beat on him and then switch to the ravager when it comes time to clean house.

Sarevok. Must have been deathbringer assault rather than vorpal hit that finished it. It does not make sense to have a boss who is susceptible to vorpal hits.

edited June 10
    I know what you mean, I thought it odd as well. Usually with the death bringer assault there is a flash of light but it's possible I just didn't see it. Everything was very chaotic and then you get pushed into a cut scene in the pocket plane so I didn't see what actually happened.

I still have to do Sendai's lair and some EE content, finish up the pocket plane ect. I'll give it a shot, if I am successful, I will post a detailed strategy for the Ascension battle. If I can't manage it then I will report back but it could be a while. The game moves at a snails pace on LOB mode.

StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • goblinslygoblinsly Member Posts: 5
    I still think i will stick to my bang them in 1 go strategy. I really dont want to fight yaga shura while mellisan is killing me :sweat: