Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    lroumen said:

She will focus on the same weapons except I think I trade out the longsword for shortsword. It is not overly useful to have longsword at this point and you find many good short swords early game.

In all honesty that's a solid choice, and not just for early game, since the overall selection of SoA longswords is not as combat-ready as the shortswords selection, although the passive effects and abilities they give you far outweight anything shortwords can give you... Except for actual direct, hand-to-hand combat effectiveness (Kundane gives you an extra ApR, and you can get the +3 one off Renal rather early in the game, but you don't get any actually +3 longswords in SoA, and if you do, it's probably easier to get the +4 shortsword anyway). And if you really want the fancy immunities, you can just switch them when you need to, so nothing of value will be lost, although it requires you to go around switching them all the time.

Also, if you're willing to dual-wield a throwing dagger set to melee (it's cheesy, and since it goes to your main hand it looks a bit odd. Besides, you're capping yourself with a +3 (and a +2!!) weapon, which might not be ideal), it's an option worth looking at (least for SoA), since it gives you two ApR base, which means that if you add Kundane to your offhand you reach 4 ApR without any buffs. Besides, Firetooth+3 has a pretty sweet 2d4 damage roll. ApR is crutial for a Swashie, since you get enough damage and THAC0 bonuses to outweight not being a warrior class, but the ApR difference still remained a problem for them until the last patch, however it's not like that anymore now.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrlolienAerakar
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I was more thinking about snagging one of the paralysation daggers (stiletto or jade fang or even nebs) and use that to best effect.
    That gives me plenty of options and not worry about damage. Once they are downed I get guaranteed damage.

Most of the fancy weapons like kundane and Belm are not easy to get in IA so I am not going to count on them for now.
    While the vanilla long swords are good, in the end the upgraded weapons in IA are miles better but mostly warrior only. I will think about late game items for my thief once I get through the mid game.
    lolienCrevsDaakAerakar
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

Grond0 Hard luck. :(
    Grond0CrevsDaak
    Auch
    CrevsDaak
    @semiticgod Congratulations
    semiticgoddesslolienCrevsDaaklunar
  • IncasIncas Member Posts: 38

We've never had an Improved Anvil run before! There's so much I don't know about the mod.

saros_shadow_follower did several runs on the Bioforums. He's still got a few videos on YT. The guy was insanely hardcore and if there was any exploit he would find it.

semiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Incas: I watched that run! I just wish it had commentary; I barely understood most of it.
    CrevsDaak

@Incas: I watched that run! I just wish it had commentary; I barely understood most of it.

He did all his commentary on the old Bio forums (rip).
    Wise_GrimwaldsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Incas said:

Well, you know, you can still access an archive of the old bioware forums:

BG 1 archive: blackstrider.net/forum_bioware_arhiv/forum.bioware.com/topic/124374-baldurs-gate-1-no-reload-challenge/index.html

BG 2 archive: blackstrider.net/forum_bioware_arhiv/forum.bioware.com/topic/124277-baldurs-gate-2-no-reload-challenge/index.html
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Saros did do some posting in those forums a few years ago, but I think the bulk of the commentary being referred to was in the old, old Bioware forums :p.
    IncasWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
    Ah yes, I remember that forum - I was just beginning my no-reload career just before they closed that old, old forum down - I remember some real doozies, like being caught in the thunderhammer smithy stealing, then defending ourselves against quite a few flaming fists (which destroyed my reputation), then the party complaining to hell that change my ways or else. The good old days? lol.
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldMantis37CrevsDaak

Incas said:

Totally forgot that they did a backup of the later Bioforums. Funny to read my old posts (nick:Incantatar), I completely forgot I no reloaded two Cavaliers in BG1 and 7 years ago on this day said I'll never play BG1 again without SCS. :D
    Grond0CrevsDaak
    Incas said:

Incas said:

Totally forgot that they did a backup of the later Bioforums. Funny to read my old posts (nick:Incantatar), I completely forgot I no reloaded two Cavaliers in BG1 and 7 years ago on this day said I'll never play BG1 again without SCS. :D
    Well, it wasn't really "they" - one of the forumites, Serg_Blackstrider, volunteered to make a backup of the no-reload forums on his own server, so that way they weren't lost forever, which otherwise they would have been.
    Grond0lolienCrevsDaak
    Oh, those were only the bioware forums... does anyone remember the good old days of the blackisle forums before that time? I lived on those forums from when BG was created until they transferred into the bioware ones :). But yes, the best walkthroughs were not described on those forums, except maybe the explorations of Use R Unfriendly and Elmonster, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on those accounts.

In any case, if you go through those logs from Saros you get to read a lot about how IA enemies work and how stupidly overpowered they are in resistances, on-hit effects, dispel abilities, debuff abilities, and where loot is more or less distributed. I probably learned more about the game from his recounts than from any of the testing and playing that I did myself, and I am nowhere near his level of playing. But I cannot forget to mention that there are at least 20 or so IA players that are also soo much better and dedicated than me. I hope that they get to post some play throughs again now that IA is at a new install version that supports BG2EEv2.3.

Anyway, I hope to be somewhat entertaining in my playthroughs (I did not get through any real IA content yet so now it is mostly BG2EE Vanilla that I am tackling until I level a bit. Level leverage is what a player like me needs, other IA players would likely steamroll the game right from the start... :o).
    Grond0lolienCrevsDaak
    edited June 2018
    @lroumen My introduction to Baldur's Gate Forums was through Gamebanshee. I learnt a lot. Sadly a lot of the things that I learnt are now obsolete. :( When Gamebanshee deteriorated I switched to Blackisle and then here.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on