Skip to content

The GameStar review

Comments

• LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    I didn't buy the mag, I just browsed it. I didn't say at all they bashed it (an 80% rating is hardly a bashing).and my original question was whether the current version really does crash that much like the article mentioned (they subtracted 1-2 points for that alone). that was my question (which nobody answered so far)

and the new area thing (I don't remember the exact adjective they used, ok?) is definitely in the article in the magazine. probably the online version isn't the whole thing

to cut a long story short, it was never about the source, it was about the facts (bugs, new areas). whether they are true or not.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Your comment that "an 80% ratign is hardly a bashing" reminded me of a couple things:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    The nature of reviews. You cannot tell people what to like and what to write. I fear his review is based on a pretty early build.

-Trent
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @TrentOster So beta builds have been sent out for reviewing?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited September 2012

The nature of reviews. You cannot tell people what to like and what to write. I fear his review is based on a pretty early build.

-Trent

That really surprises me.
    I can't fathom how they got permission to review a beta of the game.

Toucharcade.com talked briefly about a build of BG:EE they'd received, in a podcast just before the delay was announced, but they also said that they wouldn't write a review or post any video/screenshots until they would get the word from Overhaul/Beamdog.

Besides that, I find it unethical of the German site to review the game with a score, no matter how high a score, when they know the game have been delayed two months.

They could have called it a preview, not give it a final score, and it would have been fine.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    Shin said:

I'm interested in knowing this too.

Trent did not seem surprised to see this so maybe they did send out builds, but if they knew there was going to be a delay, why send out buggy/broken builds? It may be a leak from a beta tester ...

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    When was the last time anyone has seen a preview with a final score? I've been to dozens of review sites in my time and can't recall ever seeing one. Does this site do that for other games?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

Shin said:

I'm interested in knowing this too.

Trent did not seem surprised to see this so maybe they did send out builds, but if they knew there was going to be a delay, why send out buggy/broken builds? It may be a leak from a beta tester ...

lol.. And here starts the rumors :D

• AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2012

-Trent

@TrentOster As I wrote above, the first post of this thread made the review sound a little devastating, which is not the case. In fact, the writer implies that the game is worth being bought and will surely satisfy fans of the original once again. So don't worry - we're with you, I'm with you - and I'm really looking foward to the promising work you guys have created! :)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2012
    If you use your braincells a bit knowing the build you recieve is a "betabuild" and not a representation of the final game you dont write a review with a score for it. simple as that! No need for Overhaul telling them this in a message together with the build!!!

edited September 2012
    Bytebrain said:

-Trent

Toucharcade.com talked briefly about a build of BG:EE they'd received, in a podcast just before the delay was announced, but they also said that they wouldn't write a review or post any video/screenshots until they would get the word from Overhaul/Beamdog.

Besides that, I find it unethical of the German site to review the game with a score, no matter how high a score, when they know the game have been delayed two months.

They could have called it a preview, not give it a final score, and it would have been fine.
    for the last time, THEY DIDN'T KNOW IT WASN'T THE FINAL VERSION

really unbelievable how stupid this discussion has become when I just wanted to know how buggy the game is at the current point
    edited September 2012
    They didnt know it was not the final version.... very professional very very professional journalism. The BILD of the gaming mags lol!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

They didnt know it was not the final version.... very professional very very professional journalism.

That's not the question, the question is how did they get a copy of the beta?

edited September 2012
    when i think about Trent´s comment i can only speculate that someone breached his/ her NDA because he dont know what build... an early build of course they have reviewed! I´m sure their BGEE.exe is like 0.9153 or 0.98054 and so on And if they didnt got the copy from Overhaul they should have knows this too. 1*1 is 1!!!
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    If this was EA they would get sued to the point of exile and selling their souls. The beta is strictly internal and no one can publish screenshots or detailed information about any beta build. Obviously it wasn't Overhaul who sent a copy, so this must be a leaked build.

Anyhow, please don't take any of this as being representative of the quality of the final product.
    Well it is clear they published the review after the announcement of the shipdate´s release change.
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    The link is not a review, period. It's an article about how BG is being remade, nothing more.
    Also, it is mostly positive, but there are some minor factual errors.
    No idea what the article in the actual magazine says though.
    edited September 2012
    The title of the page is almost exactly
    "Preview of Baldurs gate enhanced edition"

with a conclusion... but i dont see any score now! And when you´re on the mainpage for BGEE and click on TEST there is no test for the game available it says now... uhu and they say BGEE is released on September the 30th....
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    Well... preview and review is hardly the same, right? I think whoever posted the link to the preview gave many people the impression that it was the same as the review in the actual magazine. That is not the case, which is why there is no rating in the online article.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    LMTR14 said:

Bytebrain said:

-Trent

really unbelievable how stupid this discussion has become when I just wanted to know how buggy the game is at the current point
    No need to shout at me.
    I may have missed where you wrote that they didn't know that, but your initial post that started this thread clearly stated that the magazine reviewed a Beta build of the game. Which is what my comment reflected. I can't read German.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2012
    Since I actually bought the magazine in question I think I should set some things straight, even if others here have already done so.
    a.) It was a review, not a preview. Due to printing time and other aspects it is not uncommon that reviewers get a not completely finished game. The review was written (and went into printing) before the launch was pushed back. this even gets mentioned in the editorial, in which they express some disappointment that they did not get informed earlier by overhaul about the delay and announce a new test for the new build.
    [quote]
    Wenige Stunden, nachdem unser Test der »fertigen« Version von Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in Druck gegangen war (der hintere Heftteil wird immer vor dem vorderen gedruckt), enthüllen die Entwickler, dass sie den aufpolierten Klassiker auf November verschieben, weil er ihren Qualitätsansprüchen nicht genüge. Das können wir gut nachvollziehen, schließlich kritisieren wir im Test unter anderem die Bugs und die lieblosen neuen Gebiete. Eine Vorwarnung wäre trotzdem nett gewesen. Sei’s drum, im November werden wir uns Baldur's Gate dann eben noch mal vorknöpfen – und wehe, es hat sich nichts getan[quote]

Translation: A few hours after out test of the "final" version of BG:EE went to press (the pages for the second part of the magazine get printed first) the developers disclose that they pushed the polished classic´s release back, because it does not measure up to the quality level they wanted to deliver. We can understand that after all we criticise in our test amongst other things the bugs and the stale new areas. A little warning would have been nice regardless. Anyhow in November will test the game again and hope for improvements.

b.) The review was very positive and the only real issues (apart from the not game breaking bugs, like occasional side missions you could not finish) the only other bad things mentioned about the game were that old characters did not receive new content making the new much more fleshed out companions stand out and that even though the backgrounds are still pretty the animations are dated by today's standard. And that the black pits lack story and are basically just one fight after the other.

c.) The video on the DVD that came with the magazine is also very positive and looks pretty good.
  • Infern0Infern0 Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2012
    I'm not concerned, the bugs will still be getting ironed out, and besides, reviews are simply one person's opinion.

Why they are reviewing a Beta is anyone's guess.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I liked the review..
    edited October 2012
    Bytebrain said:

LMTR14 said:

Bytebrain said:

-Trent

No need to shout at me.
    I may have missed where you wrote that they didn't know that, but your initial post that started this thread clearly stated that the magazine reviewed a Beta build of the game. Which is what my comment reflected. I can't read German.

which is exactly what they did. why are we moving in circles here?

and my original question still wasn't answered. the original (vanilla) BG had very few if any gamebreaking bugs. bgee allegedly has (had?) plenty. so where did they come from? and are they ironed out yet, beta testers?
    edited October 2012
    Infern0 said:

Why they are reviewing a Beta is anyone's guess.

to have an exclusive game to cover. none of the other German video game magazines I checked had any material on BGEE

• WittandWittand Member Posts: 54

and my original question still wasn't answered. the original (vanilla) BG had very few if any gamebreaking bugs. bgee allegedly has (had?) plenty. so where did they come from? and are they ironed out yet, beta testers?
    BG:EE does not have game breaking bugs, this is mentioned in the review itself and also mentioned in the accompanying video.
    They even show an example for a bug which is just the characters suddenly taking in baby voices. And frankly Minsk suddenly saying "Who´s a fuzzy Boo" in the voice of a four year old boy in the middle of a battle is kind of hilarious.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    LMTR14 said:

Jorkan said:

Why the fuck would someone review a beta?

to be fair they did include a note that the game was believed to be completed and the review was written before the release date delay. this should clear up things
    Except that i cannot imagine they acquired the beta legally :D