Skip to content

Purchasing Baldur's Gate Classic (and I do mean CLASSIC) for OLD Laptop advice.

I'm currently working on a project to restore my Old Laptop which I refer to as The Ancient One. Getting the parts to fix it will be relatively easy as I only need a new battery and charger, but I tried to install my D&D Anthology onto the computer which is supposed to work with XP (which The Ancient One is)/Vista (bleck)/7 but The Ancient One informed me that I needed a service pack I don't have.

This means I need to repurchase the old classic versions of the games with several discs (I do miss the good old days) and it will bring back a great nostalgic feel.

When I looked on Amazon some Used Sales stated that the CDS only were included with no code, however when playing Baldur's Gate II on my parent's computer 10 years ago (they had the Shadows of Amn+Throne of Bhaal Combo Pack I'm thinking about buying) I don't remember ever having to put in a code when installing it to either my parent's computer or The Ancient One (the latter of which never had the game on it in the first place) so it's left me very confused. Do I need a code? Or was that just a general message?

Also while the Combo Pack is listed to work with XP/Vista/7 the original BG game (which I never had on that computer until I got the Anthology Pack) is listed as 98/Me/95

Will both work on The Ancient One which appears to operate on the oldest of XP Packs? Or Do I have to do more digging, because if so I'm not very good at that.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If you own the Enhanced Editions on GOG.com, you can get downloads of the classic versions for free.

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2018
    @AstroBryGuy
    That's great but The Ancient One isn't Internet Capable.

Also I bought my Enhanced Edition Games for my current laptop from Beamdog.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    There are plenty of the original 5 disc versions available secondhand on ebay (UK) and mine certainly didn't require an access code (I wasn't even on the internet back then) but are you sure you really want to go back to "Insert disc 2 to continue"?
    @dunbar
    I don't want to "go back " to it, but it would be nice to have the original for the nostalgic feel, also it's the only version that would work on The Ancient One.

I still have and plan to continue using the Enhanced Edition series on my current laptop, but I also want to take a trip back to my childhood and "Insert Disc 2 to continue"

I think you answered my questions though, I'm going to buy the games as soon as I fix my old laptop.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I think you will need to buy a later edition pack for XP, not the original 5 discs.

I know mine wouldn't work for XP, I didn't have a PC for some time and when I finally got one, the originals wouldn't work. I had to buy the Atari 4 in 1 re release, 2004.

If it needs a code (can't remember and my daughter has those discs so can't check), it will be with the pack itself.
    There are plenty on Amazon for sale.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    I remember the original 5 discs for BG2 working before, but I never tried for BG1.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    5 cd version always worked for me in any windows, but you might need to run the game in compatibility mode.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Gosh, I'd forgotten about those codes that used to serve as DRM. They were usually printed on the inside cover of the manual, meaning that if you ever lost the manual, the discs became worthless.
    @BelgarathMTH
    That's troublesome then. But I never remember needing codes when I installed the game in my old desktop or laptop.

Dad had Baldur's Gate 2 on I think 5 CDs plus a Bonus CD and I managed to put it on both computers without needing a code, he never had a manual (although he did have one for BG1 even though that was stolen from him years ago) only the CDS

Unfortunately asking my father about this is no longer possible.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited June 2018
    The first question is of course, does it have USB? If it does, download a DRM free old version via GOG, use a USB memory to transfer, problem solved.

How old is the HD for the computer? Because if the connectors fits with a HD box you can just jack it up to your regular computer and do all sorts of crazy shit with it, including transferring any old files.

Otherwise, you could try to find a ZIP drive on Ebay or something. Or, digital camera memory cards. The biggest cards have looked the same for ages, the only thing that has changed is the storage space.

Or, I guess, download via GOG, zip it, partition the ZIP file, burn it on CD, transfer to old computer, remake into one partition, unzip.

P.S. I really loved ZIP drives, I am so sad it did not take off. The discs are protected by hard cover, so they won't scratch like CD:s and DVD:s and they don't need a box because they are boxes. And they kinda look like NES / SNES cartridges and the floppy discs older bad ass brother. Retro and future in one! BRING BACK THE ZIP DRIVES!!! Tehy were soooo coooooool :(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    How old is your Ancient one? I have the EE working on my Win XP machine from 2006.
    @JuliusBorisov
    Not sure really, at least as far back as 15 years old (2003) because that is the mark on the oldest of the two dead batteries I have. The start-up menu has Windows XP with a copyright of 1985-2001 so it may be from 2001. The fact that both the 2003 battery and the 2005 battery say "New Battery" on them supports the 2001 theory as it implies that there was a battery before the two that I have.

I'm working on getting a new battery, but I can't afford to dish about $61 for a battery right now, I did order a new charger on Amazon though.

If it helps the model of the computer is Sony Vaio PCG-9H4L

@DrakeICN
    It has USB, but again I prefer the older asthethic if I'm going to play on my old computer, and considering the Anthology DVDs were too advanced to work, I don't think a DRM-Free Download would work anyway.
    Step 1 is Complete:
    The Ancient One is now fitted with Baldur's Gate, though it will be some time before I can really play it, since my new charger and battery will take some time to get.