Skip to content

June 29 Livestream Recap

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Sign up for the Beamdog newsletter to hear more about our future games, news, promotions and giveaways!

Enjoy the full recap of today's stream.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/06/june-29-livestream-recap.html
ThacoBelllefreutStummvonBordwehrAedanbatoortbone1lolien

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Any details about how long we have to wait for BG:EE/SoD 2.5? Weeks? Months? Years?
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    lefreut said:

Any details about how long we have to wait for BG:EE/SoD 2.5? Weeks? Months? Years?

Not entirely pleased about that myself, but I guess there's work to do with SoD. Not that they haven't had the time to work on that:P
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Why do people keep acting surprised that SoD is being worked on separately? It was announced at the very begging that IWD, standalone BGEE, and BG2EE would get released first, and then BGEE+SoD would be a separate focus. Considering the foundation that has already been set, I would expect SoD to have fewer "surprises" for the dev team.

Putting my proverbial money where my mouth is. I'm predicting we get SoD patch within 45 days.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    I'm not surprised that it get updated last, I only ask if they have an idea on a date ;)

And with the way SoD is packaged on PC, I don't think it's a good idea to release BGEE 2.5 without SoD or it will break install on Steam or GoG.
    Raduziel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

Why do people keep acting surprised that SoD is being worked on separately?

Because breaking the compatibility between a game and its DLC/Expansion is, to be polite, a suboptimal approach.
    Raduziel said:

ThacoBell said:

Why do people keep acting surprised that SoD is being worked on separately?

Because breaking the compatibility between a game and its DLC/Expansion is, to be polite, a suboptimal approach.
    And waited months to be annoyed at it?
    @ThacoBell Sorry, language barrier. Couldn't understand your message (I think).

Beamdog already has the fame of making long patch cycles. Now it does long patch cycles that break compatibility between a game and its expansion - a whole new way of annoying its costumers.

The best approach, IMHO, would be to leave BGEE patching alone until SoD is able to be patched together. With their sometimes-wise-sometimes-weird silence policy, no one would know that BGEE patch was ready.

Sometimes, ignorance is a bliss.
    ThacoBell
    @Raduziel I agree with you. I'm more curious as to why people waited until NOW to complain about it. This was the known order since the patch cycle was released. Somethign could have been said then and Beamdog would likely have been like, "Oh, thats right. Crud." considering that they do listen to the playerbase. I can completely understand their reasoning on this though. Mac and mobile players have been shafted in terms of updates, so Beamdog patched their games first as an apology/peace offering. The timing of these complaints is also not great. IWD, BGEE, SoD standalone, and BG2EE have gotten their full patches. So even though the annoyance is justified for some players, it make them look selfish to complain about a patch right after getting 3+ pathces released.
    @ThacoBell Understood.

I can only answer for myself, but I wasn't aware that SoD would be patched as a standalone game. Maybe I read it and passed me by because it is not a damn standalone game, it is an expansion.

This situation is so bizarre that my brain must have deleted this information completely in order to keep me sane. But now I stand in a situation where I need to either stop modding or stop playing because of this policy - actually, I can do neither due to a bug reported a year ago and that still around that makes my game runs very slowly.

Modding is being a challenge, playing just makes me more angry than happier.

Long story short, I bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate to play on moments of peace like this one, where my whole family is asleep.
    ThacoBell