Skip to content

How to use different portraits for char screen and sidebar?

melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
I'm trying to start a new game but I'm stuck at the start.

I like having a proper full figure portrait for the character screen, and just a cropped face for the sidebar but I can't get this to work any way, I've added the different L and M's in the portrait directory (even tried the S one on the off chance it might work), and I've looked through a bunch of portrait threads here to no avail. It just keeps using the L one for everything and this irks me so.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobis, you're my only hope!

(I'm using the Steam version if that makes any difference, no mods or anything)

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @melakon,

I was having problems earlier with the naming convention. A mixed use of caps and lowercase ended up being the problem.

Here is what I use for Vanilla UI:
    - Naming convention = xxxxxxxM.bmp (up to 7 characters, all lowercase, for the name and a capital M or L at the end for Medium or Large)
    - Must be 24b BMP
    - Image size:
    L = 420 x 660 (Body image)
    M = 210 x 330 (Face portrait)
    S = 169 x 266 (I don't use S any more in EE)
    (When I use Lefreut-UI, I use the same images but a different name (eg: f#xxxxxM.bmp for female medium and f#xxxxxL.bmp for large)).

For me, the custom images always go into
    ..\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\portraits (for IWD:EE obviously)

I always have both L and M file even if they are the same image (Face portrait). No reason other than keeping a standard...

Hope that helps
    Gus

melakonJuliusBorisov
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2018
    Gusinda said:

all lowercase

I did all of that, except all the letters in avatar filename were caps, so I tried this.

Now the one I renamed to lowercase still doesn't work, but all the others (without renaming them) suddenly do work for some reason when they didn't before. Weird.

So I just renamed the one I don't intend to use to lowercase and am using the rest, but they now show up twice for some reason in the select screen.

I can finally start the game now, but someone should really look into debugging this, because I doubt this is working as intended...

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @melakon, try renaming a couple to lowercase then moving the others out of the folder (so everything there is only lowercase). Then see if all the portraits are available. If they are, try renaming the others and putting them back.

Gus
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    @melakon I have also experienced a similar problem. For me the game often does not recognize the M portrait. I have never understood why. As @Gusinda suggested, I have tried renaming, deleting, resaving, etc. This usually works but is of course annoying and not intended behavior.
    Gusinda