Skip to content

Dual Class and Prestige

Hello kids,

I have finally started my journey through NWN:EE, but I am still a little confused about the mechanics of prestige classes and dual-classing. Let's say I have a Bard and I wanna upgrade to a Blackguard...how does that work?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I am probably not the best person to answer this, but as I understand it works like this:

Each character can choose up to 3 classes to level up in, but they can only have one prestige class ever. To level up in a prestige class, you must also meet the requirements of that class.

Here are some tips for a bard meeting the requirements for blackguard:

The 5 ranks in hide should be easy since it is a class skill for bards. Your bard needs a base strength of at least 13 to acquire the feats (Power Attack and Cleave) needed to become a blackguard (without leveling up as a monk). If you do not level up in any other classes your bard will meet the Base Attack requirement of +6 at level 8, meaning you can take your first blackguard level as your 9th level.

That is about as much help as I can give I think.
    Barba777
  • Barba777Barba777 Member Posts: 48
    Tresset said:

I am probably not the best person to answer this, but as I understand it works like this:

Each character can choose up to 3 classes to level up in, but they can only have one prestige class ever. To level up in a prestige class, you must also meet the requirements of that class.

Here are some tips for a bard meeting the requirements for blackguard:

The 5 ranks in hide should be easy since it is a class skill for bards. Your bard needs a base strength of at least 13 to acquire the feats (Power Attack and Cleave) needed to become a blackguard (without leveling up as a monk). If you do not level up in any other classes your bard will meet the Base Attack requirement of +6 at level 8, meaning you can take your first blackguard level as your 9th level.

That is about as much help as I can give I think.

Perfect, very clear!
    Does that mean that, before reaching level 8, I can level up in other classes? and what are the class limit? So, if for example I level up as a ranger, will I be able to use Bard and Ranger skills, Ranger weapon and then, at level 9, all the Blackguard features?

And what if one of those classes is a sorcerer or a mage?
    Ooh... I don't think I am the one to ask about how to best build a good character... I am very fussy in that I only focus on maxing out one class with as little mix and match as possible. Just a personal preference of mine that is probably more detrimental than anything else.
    Barba777
  • Barba777Barba777 Member Posts: 48
    Tresset said:

Ooh... I don't think I am the one to ask about how to best build a good character... I am very fussy in that I only focus on maxing out one class with as little mix and match as possible. Just a personal preference of mine that is probably more detrimental than anything else.

Don't worry, it was very helpful. One last question: by turning into a Blackguard from a Bard, will I be able to use all the weapons as a Blackguard? Or will I be stuck into the Bard weapon restriction?
    Blackguards gain proficiency in all simple and martial weapons for free, so you would be able to add martial weapons to the list of weapons you could use. They also gain proficiency with all armor types and shields for free.

I assume you are new to NWN since you don't know this, but almost all classes can obtain proficiency with any weapon/armor type by simply taking the required feats on level up. There are 3 main types of weapon feats and 4 armor feats. Most classes, like bard, start with the Simple Weapon proficiency feat, but they can also choose to learn the Martial Weapon proficiency feat and the Exotic Weapon proficiency feat if they want. The only classes I know of that cannot choose additional weapon feats are the Druid and, by extension, the Shifter. The armor proficiency feats are Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor and Shield.

I believe that most people like to try to get proficiency feats by leveling in classes that get them for free so they don't have to spend feat selections on them.
    Barba777
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    Classes in D&D 3.x are additive; when you add a new class, you just add new features. So if you add a level of Blackguard, you add the ability to use new weapons and armor. Note that even though you are now able to use heavy armor, it can still interfere with your bardic spellcasting.

A prestige class is really just a class which you cannot take at 1st level; you have to meet requirements before taking the class. You are limited (by the game engine) to a maximum of 3 classes. This can include 2 prestige classes, as long as you meet the prerequisites for both.

This is for the default game. If you play on a Persistent World, it may have server-specific rules. For example, the server on which I play only allows one prestige class per character, and it cannot be taken before level 10. So, be sure to read through any server-specific rules before planning your character.
    DerpCityProont
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    You should also be aware of the multiclass penalty

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclass_penalty
    Proont
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Well, my favorite build ever Bard/Shadowdancer/ArcaneArcher has 2 prestige classes, just saying.
    Proont
    I obviously was mistaken about being able to have only one prestige class...