Skip to content

Enhanced Editions

XenatesXenates Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone,

First time in these forums here - just had a general query. Apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere. Will there be additional enhancement projects underway in the future? If so, will they extend out to other role-playing titles, for example - the Ravenloft series from SSI, some of the dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder series, Lands of Lore from Westwood Studios, etc.

Thanks,

Xen

Comments

• asterlacnalaasterlacnala Member Posts: 5
    I believe the answer is yes (they just released NWN EE for example and are probably already working on the next reworking) for your first question.

As for the second, I'd bet they can't yet reveal which titles they are doing - there are probably legal issues involved. For example, they *might* want to do a remake of the old goldbox era games... but if they are currently negotiating for rights to do those, they can't announce the plans before the negotiations are finished.

Personally, I'd love to see Enhanced Editions of Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum (both great games but in need of bug fixes).
  • asterlacnalaasterlacnala Member Posts: 5
    I don't know if I'd want to see them in the Infinity Engine (though that would be cool) - I kind of want to see more turn based RPGs.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Fallout.
  • KenethKeneth Member Posts: 57

Personally, I'd love to see Enhanced Editions of Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum (both great games but in need of bug fixes).

Both games have extensive modding communities that have patched up the vast majority of bugs and made the games playable and enjoyable on modern systems, so they're not really in any dire need. Arcanum might require a little more love (to make patching the game easier), but I don't really see what Beamdog could do for ToEE at this point, except maybe port it to other platforms.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Keneth
    Well, actually BG and IWD had a solid modding community that fixed and improved both games - and yet, now we have the enhanced editions. The same could be done for TOEE.
  • KenethKeneth Member Posts: 57
    Despite our lovely IE modding community, we were still extremely limited in what we could do for the games. Porting them to a newer engine (like that of ToB) or a custom one (like GemRB) opened new doors, but it also was not a particularly intuitive process and managing all the mods often proved to be problematic (it still can be). Plus, all that came with various side effects that often went unaddressed.

ToEE simply doesn't have that problem and I don't think Beamdog could trump what the Co8 team did in ten years of hard work. At best, I could see them integrating the modpack into to the base game and give it a bit of a polish, maybe fix a few hardcoded things here and there. But that's just not something I'd be willing to pay the retail price for again.