Skip to content

Do you assume folks posting in these forums are running modded games, unless they say otherwise?

I often get the feeling when I am posting that I am the odd one out not running mods, and almost have to apologize and explain I play vanilla - but this could just be me projecting the same feelings I have about being a lifetime teetotaler, the implicit NOT doing the thing actually makes you wrong (but in fact, no-one really cares). Hence my poll - does everyone around here assume everyone *else* is running mods?
  1. Do you assume folks posting in these forums are running modded games, unless they say otherwise?32 votes
    1. Sure, mods make the game better in many ways, who would not run them?
      18.75%
    2. Not sure - how can I make an assumption without more information about that gamer?
      31.25%
    3. No - these forums support the games as published, if you are modding you should say so.
      50.00%
[Deleted User]dunbar

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Darn, cannot edit poll options. Last option should say "would say so" rather than "should say so".
  • XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 47
    I didn't mod until recently. Usually when referring to specific things people will acknowledge whether or not their advice is influenced by the presence of a mod.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I agree that this "no" option does sound a bit harsh but the unmodded game is (presumably) the default starting point for any new player. I would think that a lot, if not most, of the first time visitors to these forums come here looking for advice of some kind and to just assume that they are using mods is not that helpful.
    ThacoBell
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    Ive never used mods with it, but if people want to thats cool. I just never really felt the need to, the game was always fine on its own for me, I got more than my money's worth out of it in enjoyment so thats all that matters.. Maybe once I finish the EEs Ill try em again with mods finally just for kicks.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    I only ever played with vanilla, but am thinking about running with some mods on my next playthrough.

By the way, wouldn't a better poll be to simply ask if you use mods?
    Grond0
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I generally assume people here have modified their game at least a little. If you're posting here, I think it's fair to say you're at least aware of mods and custom content. I think to never have used a quest mods, a new npc, or something more subtle, like adding portraits to main npcs, or editing one thing in EEKeeper or NI (Even a custom portrait or soundset is technically modifying the game), takes some doing, at least for people who have played the game multiple times.

It certainly doesn't matter though, if you feel like you have to apologise at any point, something has def gone wrong somewhere in the communication.

If anyone is really reluctant to try any mods, Id at least give the npc banter mods a try...for bg1 and iwd. Huge effort has gone into those to make the game more like bg2 and for bg1 it helps hugely with the new Beamdog npcs, without which they stand out as the most talkative.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    CamDawg said:

The options almost make it sound like the 'no' option is a disapproval.

Yup, see my immediate correction of the typo above - unfortunately could not edit the poll option directly :(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The general approach is that a discussion happens about a non-modded game. If there're mods involved, they should be written about additionally.
    Aerakar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    there are some mods that make the game more easier to play. so even you are just playing vanilla i assume someone is atlest using say some parts of the tweak pack.
    GreenWarlock
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603

there are some mods that make the game more easier to play. so even you are just playing vanilla i assume someone is atlest using say some parts of the tweak pack.

Yup, I play with the XP cap remover for BG1 and Dungeon-Be-Gone for BG2 yet consider my games to be essentially 'unmodded'.

What I have seen however are posts where the OP doesn't mention that they've got SCS installed because they seem to assume that everyone does.

GreenWarlockAerakar