Skip to content

Amusing question - Heardalis or Dorn?

Hi, i am playing baldurs gate 2 first time since ages and decided to try some new NPC that i have never used before (except viconia). So my party for time being looks like

Me (sorcerer)
Korgan
Edwin
Viconia
Hexxat

and last slot i was thinking about Heardalis but I have met Dorn that looks pretty tanky. I know little about both characters but defensive spin of Blade, his versatility and bard's song is also tempting. Dorn however looks simpler and tankier and i know that ToB is more about big swords rather than spells. What are your thought about that? Whom would you prefer in such a company?

Comments

• Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2018
    Nope Dorn isn't a good tank he has 14 con and 156 max hp at 8m exp
    But Ir'revrykal (evil verson of the Holy Avenger) can be *really* useful in TOB. Just don't do his mission wrong.

That said, HD's off-hand equipment (which deals DEX damage) can also be extremely useful. Bard song also offer great AC bonus to the bard himself (-10 if memory serves right).

Also, given that you are a sorcerer and have Edwin and Viconia in party, it is possible to do TOB in a magic-and-spells way. Easier to blow Draconis up in seconds than have melee characters running around the whole map after him.
    Post edited by Joan_Daro on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Bards are the best class. Gotta have a Bard.
  • kicjowkicjow Member Posts: 2
    Joan_Daro said:

Nope Dorn isn't a good tank he has 14 con and 156 max hp at 8m exp
    But Ir'revrykal (evil verson of the Holy Avenger) can be *really* useful in TOB. Just don't do his mission wrong.

That said, HD's off-hand equipment (which deals DEX damage) can also be extremely useful. Bard song also offer great AC bonus to the bard himself (-10 if memory serves right).

Also, given that you are a sorcerer and have Edwin and Viconia in party, it is possible to do TOB in a magic-and-spells way. Easier to blow Draconis up in seconds than have melee characters running around the whole map after him.

Thank you, i think i will follow then he music of the others plans
  • hoi_Grhoi_Gr Member Posts: 11
    Any arcane magic NPC is better than the rest. TBH the bard vs blackguard part doesn't even come to consideration.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Not going to disagree with the above posts but,

As you haven't played for a while, it might be easier and enjoyable for you to have a couple of straightforward "go there bash that" NPC rather than the more complicated "sorting out spells and buffing" for nearly every NPC.
  • Kaisc006Kaisc006 Member Posts: 25
    I suggest Dorn because you already have a magic savvy party and need another neat shield.

But under different circumstances it’s eaaily Haer’Dalis. He does have low hp but if you take steps to
    Mitigate him being hit his defensive spin offers great tactical choices. Once you hit ToB epic bard song will turn a melee oriented party into a slaughterhouse.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited August 2018
    Haer'Dalis can be a good tank when buffed.

But Dorn can be a great tank as well with the Armor of Faith spam, Hardiness, and helments (including the one improving protection against crushing damage). You don't need to use only two-handers on him, you can give him a shield or the Defender of Easthaven, and combine it with another one-handed weapon.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603

But Dorn can be a great tank as well with the Armor of Faith spam, Hardiness, and helments (including the one improving protection against crushing damage). You don't need to use only two-handers on him, you can give him a shield or the Defender of Easthaven, and combine it with another one-handed weapon.

The Girdle of Fortitude helps immensely as well.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    dunbar said:

The Girdle of Fortitude helps immensely as well.

Though it can be used effectively by both of them. ;)