Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    What mod is this from? If we can locate that then you might be able to ask the modder what the item is. I am unfortunately unfamiliar with item codes @Wise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    RVNS said:

What mod is this from? If we can locate that then you might be able to ask the modder what the item is. I am unfortunately unfamiliar with item codes @Wise_Grimwald

I think that it might be the BG2 Fixpack.
    I did a google search for it and that mod came up, but when I went to the page I couldn't find it. :(
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald
    I thought that item code looked familiar - it's a placeholder item that is supposed to be transformed into your diety's holy symbol when you obtain it. It's an intermediary step when obtaining a holy symbol, but for some reason the script that actually transforms it isn't firing, it seems.
    Bubb said:

@Wise_Grimwald
    I thought that item code looked familiar - it's a placeholder item that is supposed to be transformed into your diety's holy symbol when you obtain it. It's an intermediary step when obtaining a holy symbol, but for some reason the script that actually transforms it isn't firing, it seems.

Could it be that you only get the symbol when your reputation is low enough, a bit like Tiax only get's certain abilities when his reputation is low?
    @Wise_Grimwald: It might be, but unless the exact mod that altered the holy-symbol process is identified it is a long shot to try to guess any intended behavior. The fact that this placeholder item appeared but not the holy symbol is a bug, since I assume it is taking up an inventory slot for no reason.

A question for all the no-reload veterans out there: how do you deal with the ettercap ambush in BG1EE? I just encountered it in my run, and it seems like there is just no way to recover from it with a low-level party. The poison from the ettercaps just destroys HP, and the web traps all around your starting position means that you can't run away.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Bubb: I always head straight north. There should be no web trap triggers to the north (unless you stray very far northwest), and you should be able to make it to the north end of the map before the ettercaps with their slow movement rate can reach you. If you use CTRL-4 with the console enabled, you should be able to see the Web trap triggers.
    BubbZaghoulJuliusBorisov
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @bubb If it's for the travel area ambush, I only ever noticed the traps to the left of the starting position. I never move left, always down and to the right, or up I reckon as mentioned above. It helps to move each character on a different path through them to avoid someone slowing down due to hitting up against another character. I also immediately equip everyone with a melee weapon in order to avoid the negative modifiy to AC for having a missile weapon in hand when I am running by them.
    If I do run, I am careful not to do any other action that might delay the use of an antidote. If not too low on HP, and poisoned, moving off the map fast and escaping takes care of the poison as well. Plus, an antidote for everyone ASAP at the first store/temple selling them.
    Bubb
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508

Bubb said:

@Wise_Grimwald

Could it be that you only get the symbol when your reputation is low enough, a bit like Tiax only get's certain abilities when his reputation is low?
    Sworn of Cyric is from the Faiths and Powers mod afaik. Perhaps ask verification there?
    @grammarsalad I think that is your mod correct? Do you have any ideas? (see also a few posts up for more info)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Wise_Grimwald If you're using Deities of Faerun, the holy symbol obtaining process is indeed altered.

@Jaheiras_Witness Does Item Randomizer alters common loot (gems to be precisely)?

I never used it because I though that I could end up obtaining a very powerful item freely in the earlier game.
    @Jaheiras_Witness I think I'll never be able to play without this mod ever again.
    RVNSJaheiras_Witness
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    I feel the same way!
    edited July 2018
    How do you no-reloaders handle learning spells? I've come up against the seemingly abysmal chances you have to successfully learn a spell, and in a no-reload run it can be devastating to not have a key spell; especially if there was only a couple of said scroll in the game. I know this isn't a super rare spell, but Dynaheir failed to learn Horror that I got from the mines. Do you guys install mods that makes the chance 100%, do you reload (kinda defeats the purpose of not reloading), do you drop the difficulty, or just accept that you won't have that spell for the rest of your run?
    RVNS
    Go figure I would have more questions. is maxing constitution a big deal in the long run?
    RVNS said:

Go figure I would have more questions. is maxing constitution a big deal in the long run?

If you achieve 20 CON you get a natural regeneration. Very helpful because traveling between areas will refill your health.
    RVNSJuliusBorisov
    Next question. If I am a fighter/thief solo do I need to hold onto arcane scrolls for any reason or should I just treat these as extra cash?
    Jaheiras_Witness
    Maybe a few useful ones in case you get use any item.
    RVNSWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @lroumen I did not realize that use any item allowed for spells to be used via scroll. I am assuming that it is worth picking up in that case and to start stockpiling useful scrolls? Any scroll suggestions that I should hold onto if I make it to baldurs gate 2 on this no reload run?
    Not much useful to save in bg1 or SoD because it takes too long to get to the hla, but in bg2 it depends on what you think is okay to play with.

Some people stockpile mislead for instance to do continuous backstabbing. I always save some instant death spells like Disintegrate or area control spells like chaos, hold or even web. Even breach is useful until you get the wands from watchers keep.

Up to you really.
    RVNSWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    edited August 2018
    I know that several of the items are a bit buggy so when I came across the Inquisitor's Halberd which looks fairly impressive, I decided to have a look at it. First problem was when I tried to find it with EE Keeper. Why? It is not listed under halberds but under bastard swords!! I'm sorry, but that looks to me like sloppy workmanship. I'm not a modder, but it only took seconds to correct it.

What I am wondering is: does the halberd actually cause the target to have dispell magic cast on it whenever hit? I couldn't see anything that would cause that to happen when I looked at it in Near Infinity. :( I could be wrong. As I said, I'm no modder.

There is one line that I don't understand, and it may be beyond me anyway. It is the highlighted line below.

Whilst I couldn't make them perfect, I am pretty sure that I could vastly improve a lot of items with NI, making them useable by the right people and suchlike. If I made a zipfile with corrected items in it would others be interested in it? (I'll be doing this as and when I come across problems so don't expect them next week, next month. Next year is far more likely. )

What I do realise is that some mods such as Faith and Powers actually change the useability of items. So I would have to say that I won't be trying to implement such changes.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,338
    @Wise_Grimwald
    I seem to remember that the item is from the Grey Clan mod. As I recall it did work in days of old.

The enchantment was only +1, so it doesnt work on all creatures.

The idea behind such a nice item was prob. that it could be used against the leaders of the clan in Beregost (the mages are level 25 and 22 so their buffs are decent... luckily no PfMW, but their stoneskins and mirror images are a plenty...).
    semiticgoddess
    edited August 2018
    @StummvonBordwehr
    I used it in that battle. Thorin a dwarven defender was buffed as much as possible with potions including protection from magic. However their magical defences didn't go down as I was hoping as a result of using this weapon. I still won the battle, but the seeming lack of effect caused me to ask the question, plus the fact that in Near Infinity there didn't appear to be a dispel magic effect on the weapon. Arrows of dispelling didn't seem to help either. :(

Having to keep him continually running from Teven didn't help in my investigations.

I was thinking that if it didn't work as intended I could investigate how to give it that ability.

I have made it into a halberd, though I don't think that it being a bastard sword was a major problem.

It didn't bring down the defences of mages in the Section HQ in Beregost either. (Darkest Day I think) I will continue to use it if only to find out if it works. I am succeeding quite well against the Section so far. :)
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited August 2018
    Ok everyone, I got a two questions concerning my run. I'm soloing the game with a Shadowdancer in an SCS install, (full tactical challenges, full prebuffs).

1) I'm about to fight Slythe and I'm not sure how to tackle him. Any other thief would easily trap him to death, but I can't. So, I fear his backstab would be too much to take, even moreso if Krystin ends up joining the fun. I only could devise one solid strat : I could make myself immune to fire, drink a Defense potion (to help if Slythe do get a hit in), lure Slythe in the upper left corner of the Underground (where there's not a lot people) and bomb the place with the One Gift Lost while going hide-and-seek. Anybody has a better plan for that fight ? It's just that, with a high damage crit, it's possible for Slythe to one-shot me. It's, eh, uncomfortable.

2) The dreaded Ducal Palace. Seriously, outside of abusing the Algernon's cloak, I don't know how to win that fight without relying on a ton of luck. I'l pepper the Doppelgangers with arrows of Dispelling to help. Maybe I should also throw around darts of Stunning ? The Shadowdancer is a solid defensive class, but it's damage output is pretty meh.

So, yeah, a bit of help would be appreciated. :)
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arctodus: As for Slythe, the One Gift Lost seems like an excellent strategy. If you're using the Shadowdancer Trick invented by @Grum (described here), you should be able to maintain invisibility almost indefinitely. If you ever do notice Slythe targeting you in the dialogue box and you fail a stealth check, just run until you can try hiding again. The odds that an invisible Slythe will be in just the right position and gets just the right speed factor roll and lands a hit and lands a critical are very small, enough to be reasonable for a no-reload run. Also, if you've invested any points in Detect Illusions, you might be able to reveal Slythe outright (unless Detect Illusions doesn't bypass non-detection). If you have the Nymph Cloak and charge it to full, you should be able to get a decent supply of decoys on hand as well by charming the locals.

As for the Ducal Palace, I'm not so sure. I think your best bet may well be to just use Algernon's Cloak to move the doppelgangers to a corner and also drag Ithtyl the sorcerer barmaid from the inn in the same area. Ithtyl should have a Chaos spell on hand along with some other nice spells, and her Stoneskins will keep her alive for a little while.

Arrows of Dispelling and Darts of Stunning could make or break the fight. Get a failed save on a Dart of Stunning and that's one doppelganger that's pretty much down for the count, and a single Arrow of Dispelling on the mage should put it in serious jeopardy. The assassin and the two spellcasters should be high priorities. Get your THAC0 low enough (maybe burn some Potions of Mind Focusing for DEX bonuses?) and you should be able to force several saving throws before Belt and Liia Jannath are in danger.
    StummvonBordwehrArctodusAerakarJuliusBorisov