Skip to content

[Mod] berelinde's Keldorn Romance released!

jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
edited January 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
berelinde's Keldorn Romance

This mod introduces a romance for the original BioWare NPC Keldorn. It is compatible with all BGII games: original BGII, BGII:EE, BGT, and EET.

He's loyal. He's brave. He's... single?
Life is an uncertain thing, and changes come when we least expect them.

This mod offers a chance to romance Athkatla's newest... and most reluctant... bachelor. All relationships take work, and this one takes more than most, but the rewards are great, for those patient enough to endure the trials.

This romance is not for everyone. It is certainly not a romance for the hasty. When it begins, Keldorn is grieving after the collapse of his 20-year marriage, and it takes him a long, long time to recover. It deals with mature themes, the real consequences of rejection and recovery, and some players may not want to go through all that, no matter how devoted the would-be love interest becomes in Throne of Bhaal. It is also very, very long, with 35+ talks in Shadows of Amn, though the talks are spaced more closely together to compensate for this.

To begin the Keldorn Romance, you must allow Keldorn and Maria to reconcile. He will only consider himself free if his marriage to Maria is legally ended, and imprisoning Maria will only separate them, not divorce them. Also, Maria's incarceration might present childcare issues that would be impossible to overcome.

The mod also features a quest for all PCs, romanced or not, though that, too, requires a reconcilliation between Keldorn and Maria.

Official Discussion Thread at G3
Download berelinde's Keldorn Romance
Post edited by CamDawg on

Comments

• NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    B)
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Keldorn Romance updates to v2.

Now he will wait at the usual spot in the Order's headquarter if kicked out by the mod added dialogue choice. (Yes, I forgot that the area is flipped in BGII:EE..)

Changes:
    • corrected his waiting coordinates in the Order headquarters for BGII:EE and EET after leaving by kickout dialogue
    • also added compatibility to "Sensible Entrance Points" (from component "Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats" from TweakPack)
    • added compatibility note to readme
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Great gift to all desperate to get a real paladin. Thank you!
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    @jastey
    Hi, I must thank for this amazing mod, I am in ToB now and dialogs and everything else is simply great.
    However I have one question - since I have installed also Corthala Romantique for my recent playthrough, I didn't get Keldorns encounter with Master Wraith in that ugly swamp ruin temple. (which is logical, that only content from one mod shows there)
    So my question is - could you please provide me global/local variable for Keldorns response to that Wraith encounter, so I could edit my game in EEkeeper and continue in this great mod?
    Thanks.
    For Keldorn's Wraith Encounter to trigger, his romance variable must be at committed: Global("B!KeldornRA","GLOBAL",2). I guess that's the case for you.

For it to show you'd need to deactivate the Valygar romance before meeting with the Wraith in ToB.
    If you want to reset it afterwards to play both romances to the end, best you set it to "0" and after the (Keldorn)encounter back to "2":

C:SetGlobal("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",0)

Alternatively, you could just kick Valygar out of the party before meeting with the Wraith for the first time.
    With all this wonderful mods now out there, there is only one is missing - multiple romances. Which is still broken?
    edited August 2018
    @Mirandel For the next Keldorn Rom Version I was planning on "externalizing" the detection of other active romances via script (currently, it is done in the dialogue directly). The advantages: not only could other romance mods be included more easily, but also could the shutdown be disabled e.g. with a cheat variable.
    The Bodhi abduction and Master Wraith encounter, though, will always remain game instances were only one romance (the one installed last) will play. For the Master Wraith encounter for obvious reasons, but also the Bodhi abduction - although theoretically feasible with multiple takings - would need a certain recoding to be active for several mods.
    To be honest, I can not even comprehend how is it possible to sort out all the variables in all the mods for Bodhi abduction: some mods make abduction mandatory (Solaufein), some allow cheats, hence severall party members can be abducted.

But I am very thankful for the future romance freedom :)
  • OfficerDonNZOfficerDonNZ Member Posts: 5
    This seems the best place to ask what I'd like to know. While my fem PC has no real interest in romancing Keldorn I do like the idea of being able to keep him in my party without doing something mean to Maria (throwing her in prison). As I always let them reconcile and in vanilla when you do that Keldorn is gone for good.

So my question is simple, how do I prevent the romance from starting? :)
    As far as I can see, you need the romance to be active to trigger his marriage problems after he reconciled with his wife. But after Maria left him (this should be a clear instance in the game, his BIO changes to reflect this, too) it should be safe to set the romance to deactive. There are possibilities to do so in the talks by chosing obvios reply options. Or you do it via console:
    C:SetGlobal("B!KeldornRA","GLOBAL",3)
    Make sure to follow the hints in the readme as how to proceed until this point to trigger the separation.

Keldorn is very shy about this anyways. His romance will break if your PC is in any other active romance before he is ready to confess. And that's pretty late in game. A list of which other romances are currently considered is here.

I see your point and I think it's an interesting idea to open this mod up to all PCs: let Keldorn have his marriage problems that makes him free to go with the PC without the romance track. Unfortunately, romance track and this event are rather intertwined so I don't think I'll spend the time to separate this. But it's an intriguing throught, and an aspect of the mod I never thought about!
  • OfficerDonNZOfficerDonNZ Member Posts: 5
    I see, well I had a look at the list of romances and as I'm planning for my fem PC to romance Imoen (when I finish SoD) I shouldn't have too many problems. I almost feel sorry for Anomen :D He's going to get ditched for Immy :)

Maybe a mini mod for those who want to keep Keldorn? Though as I know almost nothing about BG modding no clue how feasible that would be.
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    Hi, I just want to say, how much I enjoyed this amazing mod. I just finished it in my last playthrough and the writing is simply excellent. I also appreciate slow progression of the relationship between Keldorn and main character.
    I really recommend this mod for everybody, it's absolutely worth every minute of gameplay.
    Thank you @Caszidy for your kind words and for taking the time to give such much appreciated feedback! I'll pass it on to berelinde.
    edited September 2018
    The mod updates to v4!

Besides bugfixes, the detection of other romances can now be disabled by a cheat, for those who want to secretely multi-romance (If you want the old, poor, reluctant bachelor-father to be oblivious to your PC's frivolous poly-romancing then why don't you just go ahead! I'm not judging, not at all. :D )
    Keldorn does not have a Bodhi abduction in SoA so nothing will be lost there in case of multi-romances. In ToB, for the case of multi-romances the NPC installed last will have the Wraith encounter.

Changes:
    • first Keldorn-Viconia banter will no longer repeat
    • externalized detection of other romances into script. Other romance detection can be disabled by setting Global("B!Kel_MultiRomances","GLOBAL",1) via the cheat console.
    • more mod romances considered for other romance detection: Adrian, Valygar (Corthala Romantique), Verr'Sza, Xan BGII
    • Original Tree of Life interjection should not play if mod one does
    • Original Solar interjection at the end of ToB should not play if mod added does; other NPCs should talk as well.
    I need an option "many likes at once"!
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @jastey I'm currently having a glitch where Keldorn's flirt dialogue repeats over and over without pause (when he says yes and then the player can ask questions).

Any idea on how to turn that off? I don't see an obvious timer or trigger in the code.
    That's a so called stutter bug - the script starts a dialogue but the variables do not match so you get the player initiated dialogue instead. Do you have any experience with investigating these? If not, please send me a save game to jastey at web.de and tell me which game you are on (I guess it's BGII:EE?).
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 453
    @jastey The links appear to be broken, or the page was moved on the G3 site.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    @BCaesar I've abused my moderator powers to fix the links.
    Thank you! I forgot about the changed links due to the G3 update. (Not implying that I was hoping the redirection would eventually work, not at all.)
    I have no knowledge about Android. On PC, if you get the Invalid: xxxxx texts, it's usually either that the mod was installed to a different language than the one you are playing now, or that the mod dialogue is referencing to a string number that is exceeding the number of strings in the dialog.tlk (for example if the game was updated so all mod content was removed and you try to continue with your old save).
    edited March 2019
    Heh. Yes, I think berelinde wrote a real gem there. Be gentle to the old paladin's heart. :) (And patient.)
    And thank you for your interest in the mod!
    I don't think there is content before. The main content starts after the reconciliation with Maria.
    @Istrate Oh yes I broke this. Dang. I fear the only "solutions" is to kick Keldorn out of the party before going down the tree of life. You should be able to go back up and re-recruit him, I think?
    Will be fixed in the next version!
    One question: if you want to know what Keldorn would have said, does it mean the looping between Keldorn and Imoen was before he could say his piece? (I'm confused.)
    Here is what romancing Keldorn would say at the Tree of Life: ~Nay, not another word. Friendship demands that I see this through to the end. Honor demands it. I would not be able to lift my eyes were I to abandon you with such an evil foe before you.~

And thank you for the report about the kickout dialogue... I guess noone so far kicked the romancing paladin, lol. I'll have a look at this.
    Glad you can continue playing with him in the group!
    @Istrate Would you quote what Keldorn is saying upon kickout? I think this might be an oversight. But I can't find a dialogue line where he mentions Imoen and mot being kept from his family.
    Indeed! Thank you, I'll have a look at it. It seems there is a variable missing that let's the dialogue know that Keldorn was in party, not away.
    The mod updates to v5!

Version 5 comes with several bug fixes, one of them severe (looping Keldorn-Imoen interjection at the Tree of Life). Version 5 also comes with a new optional component to adjust the romance timers. The needed user input during installation of the main component was removed.

Changes:

-Keldorn and Imoen's interjections should not loop at tree of life
    -Keldorn should have correct kickout dialogue after family events finished
    -new optional component: chose romance timer. User input upon installing the main component removed (removed ACTION_READLN)
    -renamed setup-keldorn_rom.tp2 to keldorn_rom.tp2
    -added keldorn_rom.ini with mod info metadata
    -update to WeiDU v246
    Thank you for the kind words, I'll pass them on to berelinde!
    I need to look at the original dialogue you mentioned, problem is berelinde is retired so no new content will be added (like new reply options or Keldorn lines into the dialogue). But if disabling the original dialogue looks like an oversight because oft the discrepancy, I will consider it for the next version.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2019
    Hello, I'm brand new to the forum though not the games. I just wanted to say thank you for this beautiful mod. I've recently become quite serious about roleplaying as opposed to powergaming (never played evil anyway), found my favourite character being a paladin (which is hard to roleplay with all the seductive treasure lying around in locked chests and evil items like Ring of Gaxx suddenly being unacceptable) and the ability to let Keldorn (my all time favourite NPC anyway) go and then have him come back on his own and then little by little become Charname's soul mate is PERFECT!