Skip to content

#19975 Bolts from Wand of Lightning should not change direction after hitting targets

PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
edited February 2016 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Behaviour: When the lightning bolts strike an enemy, the lightning bounces in a random direction, frequently back at the zapper.

Expected Behaviour: Lightning bolts travel through the target in a straight line and bounce off walls. They should not bounce off creatures.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    I don't know what is expected but I'm interested how does the randomness code for direction looks like.
    Random could also mean straight line through the target.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's just Talos messing with the Bhaalspawn.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Pantalion said:

Behaviour: When the lightning bolts strike an enemy, the lightning bounces in a random direction, frequently back at the zapper.

Expected Behaviour: Lightning bolts travel through the target in a straight line and bounce off walls. They should not bounce off creatures.

Glad someone else has noticed.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43797/windows-lightning-bolt-projectile-and-arxxxxsr-bmp-files#latest
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Ohh, haven't thought about it like a bug, but it's indeed a bug, it seems. This was the reason why I completely stopped using the wand of lighting.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    edited February 2016
    Yes, last night I had a lightning bolt bounce off of an ogre berserker, rebound back to Imoen the caster, fry her, then take off at a right angle. It was almost like a billiards trick shot, with all of the angles.

I remember distinctly before the last patch using lightning bolts to take out lines of ogres. It does not seem to work any longer.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I can't even get the wand of lightning to work (I was just going to make a post about it but I'll piggyback on this one).
    I select the wand from a quickslot, get the spell casting cursor, point it at an enemy, and then I get the sme cursor with the number of charges on it. If I click again, the number goes down, but never fries my enemies (or, inevitably, my party either.) I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    procco said:

I can't even get the wand of lightning to work (I was just going to make a post about it but I'll piggyback on this one).
    I select the wand from a quickslot, get the spell casting cursor, point it at an enemy, and then I get the sme cursor with the number of charges on it. If I click again, the number goes down, but never fries my enemies (or, inevitably, my party either.) I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.

Click x6, it fires 6 lightning bolts, one at each of the targets you click on.

And if you click too fast it deselects the whole thing and you end up attacking or something.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Crazy. Has it always been that way?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    You can fire 6 bolts at once?!
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yes, Wand of Lightning should be shooting six mini-bolts dealing 3D6 damage each, with ricochet off walls. If it were working right, it would be a very powerful and versatile wand. As it is, it's a good way of committing suicide if you use it in close quarters.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Tagged
    Thanks