Skip to content

Fixing Multiplayer

Comments

• ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Jaxx86 said:

I was directed to Tunngle beta. It works. The program basically puts you and your friends in a chatroom with a ported and shared IP for everyone. I haven't tried more than 2 players in a game and the only problem that we've encountered is that we couldn't rest in some caves because the sleep video was synced up incorrectly. I would say Tunngle fixes the multiplayer problem temporarily until the matchmaking system is out.

2 players works mostly fine for me, and seems to be okay for other people. Aside from the movie issues, and some graphical glitches it was alright. 3+ players is where the problem is occurring for people. All kinds of weird things happen. Some of my characters would randomly be in their attack animation for no reason, or many NPC's would have "nothing to say to you.".
  • ValexioValexio Member Posts: 17
    same here, also in 3 players always crash in changing areas
  • Syao_ranSyao_ran Member Posts: 13
    So, did the new patch fix the 3+ players issue? I can't test right now so i'd like to know if someone tried.
  • XzerostuXzerostu Member Posts: 5
    As far as I can tell, Tunngle renders my characters in constant attack animation, but i did the same game locally with the same people with the same problem. Aslo The change area bug still exists. Or at least it does in regards to the map change area. As in Traveling. (3 people.)
  • axthursbyaxthursby Member Posts: 2
    When playing with 3 people since the patch, all players have been able to see each other move around and interact with the world. However, we're still crashing when trying to travel between maps, and can only get around this currently by giving control of all party members to the leader before travelling.
  • MusicboxMusicbox Member Posts: 14
    Since the patch we can see eachother move but we still have bugs :
    - everytime you click to move, the character stop moving after a few meters, so you need to click click click and click to move far away.
    - we have problems with the animations. We can't really attack each other or cast a spell. Only the instant spells like magic projectile work !
  • MusicboxMusicbox Member Posts: 14
    Update : Dont know if it was a problem because we were 4 or just because we used a corrupted save with an old multiplayer game when the multi was bugged. The game seemed to work well when we were 3. I must try to make a new game with 4 people to see if the bug happens again !
  • roberterikssonroberteriksson Member Posts: 8
    Still some issues with 3 people multiplayer over Hamachi:
    - Crashes when switching areas (no matter if the host initiates or not). Works if host controls all characters before switching.
    - Sometimes players cant connect. Might happen because a player tries to connect in the middle of a dialogue.
    - Sometimes players shows up without name in the character screen.

What works:
    - All players can see each other when connected.
  • KodrakKodrak Member Posts: 42
    @Musicbox Make someone host hamachi and the Baldur's Gate game. Follow @roberteriksson content to avoid game crashes every 2 mins.

For now if you really want to play multiplayer you have to use weird run around moves for 3+ players.. Always a good time create your characters with best roll you can get and setup teams for when Beamdog release their update to fix bugs and enhance the multiplayer life. With them hosting the multiplayers games everything "will" work like a charm, no crash and no bugs. Fun time only.
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    Beamdog isn't going to host the games though right? They are just going to have a listing of open multi-player games.
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    If they come out with an easy way to play multiplayer without bugs and working custom soundsets in the next patch. I will be ALL set.
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2012
    I haven't got a chance or found anyone to play multiplayer with, yet.I was wondering if the command AsyncEnumeration=1 from the old games still has any function?I used to have to add it in each persons baldur.ini under multiplayer settings in order for the multiplayer games to be detected by clients when you set up a game over LAN.Otherwise, they would have to type in the IP everytime.
    Just had an excellent session of 3 person multiplayer. Just make sure to:

1. Always have the host take control of all characters before any area transitions
    2. Sometimes one of the players gets locked in their menus; fix that by initiating a dialog, either with NPCs or with themselves
    3. Avoid saving when other players are in dialogs
    4. Avoid reconnecting when other players are in dialogs
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    ... awesome now just fix those 4 things with patches and then I'll play some 3 way multiplayer.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @roberteriksson thanks for this - we'll try and fix this ASAP.
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    i've also had a good 4 player session a few days ago with most of those workarounds but on several occasions it would leave me with a loss of exp. First time i thought it was because i hadnt hit the thing we were killing, but that shouldnt happen, it's always spread equally for the entire party. I also lost exp sometimes when reconnecting after crashing.
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    Multiplayer minor bug (with 2 players)

When one player is looking at the inventory and the other is checking the Record sheet of the same character, it drops out the first player out of the inventory.
    @roberteriksson, @axthursby

Okay, I need some more information STAT about this. R.e.:
    2. Sometimes one of the players gets locked in their menus; fix that by initiating a dialog, either with NPCs or with themselves
    3. Avoid saving when other players are in dialogs
    4. Avoid reconnecting when other players are in dialogs
    we've fixed the connecting weirdness and I haven't been able to reproduce weirdness with people connecting during a dialogue, etc.

On the connector's screen, it looks like it's not working - but the minute the other player is out of the dialogue, everyone's names show up - poof, it's fine.

I am confused about the saving when other players are in dialogue. If someone's speaking to an NPC, then no one should be able to save. So what do you mean by that?

The crashing between area transitions thing:

First, is it an actual crash in which case do you have .dmp files for me from it? Or are we talking a non-responsive hang? Hourglass of death?

If that's the case, how often does this happen to you if it's not the host making the area transition? 100%? 50%? 10%?

Are there some areas that are worse than others?

Is there a difference if the host has 1 character compared to control of 2 or 3, and vice versa for the person initiating the travel?

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    From what I understand, the other players just get disconnected.

I'll confirm this later today. @HeroicSpur, you up for some testing this afternoon?
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Aosaw, sure in an hour or so
    Oh. I won't be at home until around 5pm MST. Um.

Start without me? :)
    @Nathan, me and @Cuv have been testing this a fair bit to see if we can clarify a few things.

-Firstly in respect of menu 'lock-ups' we haven't been able to repeat them, we tried going through various menus but not joy.

-Secondly in respect of the area transition crash:

a. We played (in previous sessions) a four player multi game and experienced crashes on every transition. We didn't experience any crashes if all characters were controlled by the host. If they wern't the game would crash to desktop with the error report thing, but clicking on it would come up with a Beamdog 'sorry page cannot be found'

b. When playing with just @Aosaw we experienced crashes on all transitions unless host controlled all characters, that includes transitions that involved any kind of autosave, even if it wasn't to a new world map locations (for example going into the Friendly Arm Keep)

c. HOWEVER, playing with Cuv today, we couldn't get a transition crash for love nor money. We tried everything, God we tried! Including switching around ownership of characters, removing characters, changing permissions, going to various areas etc. The game just insisted on running perfectly, much to my annoyance (apart from some lag, response delay)
    It may have something to do with the number of players, but the example in (B) above would contradict that.
    Actually, @HeroicSpur, I don't think you and I went through any area transitions. We had learned our lesson by then. ;)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Nathan It was strange... couldnt get the game to crash no matter what we tried. It was... like it should be. Might have been because it was just the two of us, don't know.
    Hi @Nathan,

The only problem we have experienced lately is the area transition bug. The game crashes for the other players (not the host) when someone other than the host initiates the transition.

Otherwise we haven't been having much trouble. Sometimes characters appear without names in the Connection Screen when we start up a game, but then we just restart BGEE. As a side note, we've taken to the habit to always let the host transfer items between the other players, don't know if this is really an issue or not any more.

Had an excellent 3 player game today, very enjoyable!
    @Aosaw, didnt I go through one, it crashed and then we came back? And what about when entering the FAI? We only found out about that one BECAUSE of the crash.
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30
    @HeroicSpur @Cuv Aren't the crashes on transitions a 3+ players bug? That might be why you guys had no issues.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @zealer Maybe... but its looking better each time. We need to try 3+ again. Got a little bit of lag when not hosting and targetting a pack of wolves with a spell... by the time my spell was cast they werent there any more and the spell was wasted. Lag really needs to get cleaned up.
    @HeroicSpur @Cuv yeah, BG uses by default a weird... hybrid host/client system that kinda doesn't work super well. We've made some optimizations, had to fix a lot of it to work better with modern OS conventions (and unfortunately in the process broke some stuff) but a lot of the instability has been with 3+ people, as communications between multiple clients break down.

Lag, unfortunately, is almost entirely an issue out of our control - if the game doesn't de-sync and fall apart there's not too much else we can do there, as depending on where people are playing from, high ping will always negatively affect any multiplayer game (see: WoW, any FPS, most MOBA's, starcraft..)

It's usually been a client-to-client issue that's been the crux of all the issues we had at the start - client to host is working fine, which is why 2 players together weren't experiencing problems.

@roberteriksson this is good to hear, but there's an important distinction - is it a full out crash? Do you have .dmp's then? Or is it just a non-responsive hang (like the game stops responding and someone has to end-task their program?) -- this is pretty important in terms of diagnosing the issue.
  • StatrixStatrix Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    The crash is a non-responsive hang. Everybody except the host gets the "hourglass of death" and their game goes white with some transparency, followed by a BGEE.exe has stopped working error. Can you not reproduce the problem?
    Post edited by Statrix on