Skip to content

Fixing Multiplayer

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Nathan, you may be correct about the lag, I've only tried international games. I'll test it over LAN to see how the latency compares.
  • roberterikssonroberteriksson Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    Statrix said:

The crash is a non-responsive hang. Everybody except the host gets the "hourglass of death" and their game goes white with some transparency, followed by a BGEE.exe has stopped worked error. Can you not reproduce the problem?

@Nathan: Exactly this. It hangs for everyone except the host; when the others exit the game the host can usually resume.

• NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @roberteriksson @statrix it's infrequent, but we have seen that one in-house now.

The reason for clarifying on the distinction here, is that if we have a .dmp file from a genuine hard crash, it's super easy for us to figure out precisely what went wrong and where it went wrong... basically, makes it easy for us to fix! If it gets stuck like this, then, we have to get it to happen on a machine equipped with a debugger, so we can see precisely where it's stuck in a loop. Makes life much more difficult.

Cheers!
  • DeioDeio Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

Me and 2 friends have been spending around 15 hours in total playing BG:EE as a 3-man party, I'd just like to share the bugs and fixes we've encountered so far.

1. Crashing when changing areas - Only happens when we are 3 people playing, not with 2. The fix, like have been mentioned already, is to give character control to the host when you transition between areas that require loading.

2. Crashing inside the inventory - Happens occasionally when the 2 people not hosting interact with eachother inventories. For example, I gave my friend an item by opening my own inventory and then dragging the item to his portrait. As soon as I press his portrait I got the loading circle of death and both our games crashed after a while. When we re-entered the game, the item was gone. This has happened a few times, and the item beeing traded has been lost every time, so be careful. The fix to this is to always trade items through the host of the game.

3. Not seeing people / not being seen, when you join a game - Happens all the time. The fix is to have the 2nd person in the game leave it aswell and then you can both rejoin without problems.

There are loads of minor bugs and other times we crash for no apparent reason, but bug 1 and 2 are the major annoyances for us.

I'd also like to add that we've had a blast playing so far :) Ty.

• k3LLyCh3Nk3LLyCh3N Member Posts: 1
    hello guys u i m new here.. n i dont noe how to join in multiplayer.. can any guide me..? do it need ip address to join multiplayer?
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
  • md00150028md00150028 Member Posts: 10
    Musicbox said:

Since the patch we can see eachother move but we still have bugs :
    - everytime you click to move, the character stop moving after a few meters, so you need to click click click and click to move far away.
    - we have problems with the animations. We can't really attack each other or cast a spell. Only the instant spells like magic projectile work !

I am experiencing the same issue with the characters moving, but in my case, I am the only one playing, as I am using multiplayer as a means through which to have a team of characters that I created. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and if so, has anyone found a solution to it? Thanks!
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30
    Someone posted this as a feature request, but I think bug fix is more appropriate.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12976/bettermore-reactive-multiplayer-pausing#latest

The way it is right now, in some multiplayer games when you pause there is a delay, and often it will not work at all.

* I played the multiplayer twice, and each of them with 1 other person, the first time pausing was just fine, the second time it was terribly unresponsive.
    * IIRC this was a problem in the original version too and supposedly it isn't an internet speed issue since it also happened in LAN.
  • VamphuntrVamphuntr Member Posts: 7
    Multiplayer isn't working anymore for my friend and I. He used to be able to say connected for a while then get kicked out for no reason but now we can't even join each other's game at all. We are using Hamachi too.

Ugh this is unbearable. So many issues with this edition. I never had any problem with the original + mods in multiplayer.
  • James93James93 Member Posts: 25
    Party Transitions, where the whole party needs to group up to leave the area: - If the Host doesn't control all of the party members, the people that aren't the Host will crash leaving the Host with all 6 characters and in the new area. (I am aware this only happens with 3+, since the other two party members said with just 2 it was fine, but worth testing just to make sure)
    Will also crash when Resting too.
    Just walking into an Inn or the local Smithy is fine though.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Multiplayer experience is still very annoying:
    - The game freezes if you catch a sunset or sunrise (missing movies). (And the announcement and advertisement about "all movies are replaced with new ones" is still readable at the Main Page of this game.)
    - You have to scroll to the top of the chat window every time you want to read what others tell to other players bec. the texts appear wrongly.
    - The characters are still using their combat animations during non-combat events.
    - The characters are still don't obey your orders: you have to give the orders twice, the characters are still going too close to the enemies despite of using bows or spells.
    - Journal is messed up; many entries not disappearing after quest completion, some not appearing at all (Perdue's Short Sword appears only after completion). The scrolling at the Journal page is terrible, often the entries disappear, and you can't scroll up, just move up to the entries via the sidebar, etc.
    I excepted more, the game is out since a month and the multiplayer game is still a pain to play.
    edited December 2012
    Sese79 said:

- The characters are still don't obey your orders: you have to give the orders twice, the characters are still going too close to the enemies despite of using bows or spells.

I've found that Imoen runs up to enemies as if she's going to punch them instead of attacking them with her Bow from Range. Imoen is the only person in my Party to engage the enemy before i give the command, usually i let the enemy run to me before i set my characters to attack, usually to clear my head, but Imoen runs in there as if to punch them (not even attacking with her bow). When i tell her to attack, she does attack with her Bow though, but when the person is dead, she will run up to the next guy as if to punch him, i have to manually tell her to attack every time otherwise she runs in and inevitably gets herself killed by a wraith or something that stuns... Even in Single player she does that. What causes it?
  • ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    James, try changing he script or make sure it's not on some weird settings... and also, did you remember to equip her with arrows? :P
    Ahaha yes, she has arrows :P
    I'm not educated to change any Scripts, i'm not touching them xD
  • AssPopperAssPopper Member Posts: 1
    In multiplayer mode, I'm using a pre-generated party of six characters, but playing alone. For some reason, the amount of experience each character receives is based on its position in the party lineup: the party leader receives the most experience, the next character down receives the second most, and so on, the last character in the party lineup receiving the least experience. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a solution or a fix for it? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    AssPopper said:

In multiplayer mode, I'm using a pre-generated party of six characters, but playing alone. For some reason, the amount of experience each character receives is based on its position in the party lineup: the party leader receives the most experience, the next character down receives the second most, and so on, the last character in the party lineup receiving the least experience. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a solution or a fix for it? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I noticed something along those lines, i guessed it was due to damage dealt to creatures or getting the final hit gave you more experience than the rest?
    Don't know how quests would distribute though...
    I'm interested to know too.
  • Bonjour, j'ai un bug en mode multijoueurs en réseau local : après la phase de repos les personnags sont figés sur place et il est impossible de faire une quelconque action. Pouvez-vous m'aider SVP. Merci d'avance, bon jeu a tous
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    @James93 By changing scripts, he didn't mean anything complicated like modding the game.

What he was refering to was changing the script assigned to Imoen in the 'customize' section of the in-game character window. There are several more useful scripts that you can select in there that change her default behavior.
    @Edwin I'm still not educated to do it on my own, maybe if someone did a step-by-step walkthrough of it, then maybe i'll have a look, just incase i mess up something altogether and not know how to change it back
    @Edwin Thanks, i never even knew about that, that's interesting, thank you very much. That seems to have sorted my problem, after testing it twice, will test more later when i have more time.
    edited January 2013
    ...what I don't understand about the developer's assertion that the multiplayer problems are the result of terrible net code that needs to be extensively reworked is: I can fire up my dusty old version, jump in a room using Game Ranger and the old one works perfectly with sort of matchmaking features promised.
    Post edited by Edwin on
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Is it sort of the objective of this thread to collect *any* multiplayer bug/issue? If so, I'd like to point to a thread I created: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8249/cannot-import-character. The statistics-only character import doesn't work for me (on multiple machines and installations) and this is the only way I know of to 'reset' a previously used character without actually re-rolling it (which can be tedious)...
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013
    @Sjerrie

Solution to importing found here.

This is the important screen, DO NOT click create character then import as in vanilla bg

You need to now scroll down and the characters you have made and exported previously will automatically be at the bottom of the list.
    edited January 2013
    @TiaxRulesAll, will the characters then also be at 1st level with no exp or items whatsoever? Because that's my intention.

Edit: was too curious so got up and tried it, but it doesn't do what I mean I'm afraid.
    On the Character arbitration screen, host clicks to open permissions screen,
    then options button down the bottom.
    Will open an option screen on how and what you want imported. Check it out.
    Well then we come back to the problem I described in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8249/cannot-import-character.

If I use the 'statistics only' option in that screen and go ahead to finish the character, the skills button doesn't work.
    yeah just tested it myself and the "statistics" only option does not work with the importing way i showed you. but man, at this point, since you dont need xp or loot, you could have remade your guy 500 times since you originally posted your issue.

Thanks for pointing out the details of this bug, but for gods sake man, just roll a new guy already.
    Will do. :) Just making a point and hoping it'll get fixed eventually.
  • marxon12marxon12 Member Posts: 4
    So when will the Multiplayer bugs fix be released, it's been a month and still no patch? Me and my friends want to play it but find it impossible with all the bugs we been encountering.