Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Status Update (December 3rd, 2012)

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Subzoey
    Fantastic!
    :)
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    .... implement a victoria romance mod.. please.... TAKE MY MONEY
  • DrRavenwoodDrRavenwood Member Posts: 6
    Hey hey...

Glad to hear that u are working you way through the piles of bugs everyone have been having.. I look forward to play through this game and BG II once u have that ready...

Good work so far and I hope u keep u're spirits up :)
  • ElnisElnis Member Posts: 14
    Yay! At last some info on what's going on!
    Appreciate your hard work to make this game work.
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    @Subzoey
    Hah, such immersion and focus. Did the cat ever try to catch the pointer? :)
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    i have a stupid question...where do i get the standalone launcher from, besides the preorder email?
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Aris4life said:

i have a stupid question...where do i get the standalone launcher from, besides the preorder email?

http://www.baldursgate.com/news_2012nov28.en.html

• ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Who are all these benighted fools trying to play games with Intel Graphics? :p
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for all your hard work and effort. I'm sure you guys are doing a great job!
  • LordOfLostSocksLordOfLostSocks Member Posts: 23

Part of the issue is that many laptops with discrete graphics, aka hybrid graphics, don't correctly switch over to the higher powered chipset when running BG:EE. Alienware laptops are particularly sticky about this.

In other news, the tickets should be largely caught up with again today. Please don't forget to contact support@beamdog.com if you're having issues.

Another patch should be going out soon, we've got some sound related crashes fixed along with the regular host of improvements.

Most laptops I've seen allow to choose between which graphics card is used in nVidia control panel.

• SkitterbugSkitterbug Member Posts: 3

The good news: We've tentatively got the game running full speed on some more Intel HD Graphics chipsets.

The bad news: But only when they have the most recent drivers.

This is problematic because many laptops can't use the latest drivers posted by Intel on their website, and the manufacturer of their laptop may not have released updated drivers themselves. Our next step will to be getting the game running on older, stock drivers provided by the manufacturer. Please note that this doesn't mean we've fixed all Intel GPU issues, or that this fix will be going out right away.

I'm hopeful that when this fix is rolled out, I'll get the game running on my laptop (at a proper speed)- but this weekend I'm heading home and can't wait to try out the EE there. Either way, I understand this has been kind of a bumpy launch for you guys and i'm definitely appreciative of all the work you've been putting into fixing things for us fans - even if we gripe a bit ;)
  • GruloGrulo Member Posts: 109
    I was running the game just fine before this latest patch. But after installing that patch, game keeps crashing when i launch it. What gives?
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2012
    Im glad now when i bought a new laptop back in September I opted to get one with an ati chip and not this Intel Graphics Crap. It runs the game well, aside from this blurry UI problem.
  • RaventigerRaventiger Member Posts: 17
    Interesting, since the latest patch my old games don't work properly. Party members are ignoring my commands to defend/attack and are just standing around getting slaughtered. I've backed up my saves and I'm trying a new character to see if the issues persist or not.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Raventiger
    Try saving one of your old games again (as a new save, maybe) and then reloading that save. It could be that something happened during the update that borked the way it was reading your save. I haven't noticed this happening myself, but I've heard others having the same issue, and that seems to fix it for them.

That said, if anyone's having issues with the latest patch, post them in the patch release thread. If you're experiencing crashes, send them to me at beamdmp@gmail.com and I'll make sure Cam gets ahold of them as soon as possible.
  • RaventigerRaventiger Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2012
    @Aosaw

Thank you very much for your input, I'll implement your suggestions :).

EDIT:

Thanks Aosaw that worked for me :)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    And just now you gave us another patch. Seems you're working both hard and efficiently. Thank you :)
  • ResjudicataResjudicata Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for all the hard work! Although I am one of those disappointed intel chipset players, I definitely won't be going for the refund option. I'm hoping to replace this laptop in the near future (it is nearing its fifth birthday), so even if the Intel issue cannot be fixed I'll have a new laptop on which to play BGEE.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    edited December 2012
    excellent news for the intel issue and the memory leak /aside other stuff/
    this shows commitment im glad i purchased the game
  • WulfyWulfy Member Posts: 32

The good news: We've tentatively got the game running full speed on some more Intel HD Graphics chipsets.

The bad news: But only when they have the most recent drivers.

This is problematic because many laptops can't use the latest drivers posted by Intel on their website, and the manufacturer of their laptop may not have released updated drivers themselves. Our next step will to be getting the game running on older, stock drivers provided by the manufacturer. Please note that this doesn't mean we've fixed all Intel GPU issues, or that this fix will be going out right away.

Yeah, I've got a Dell Inspiron 14z Signature model with an Intel HD 3000 chip, and the game runs great except near the fountains (Candlekeep) and whenever spells start flying. When I ran the Intel driver update app, it told me (as you describe) that my machine is using a custom driver and updating might cause issues.

Current driver version is 8.15.10.2372.

Hope you get it cracked!
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    All i want... victoria romance DLC... throw in a few quests.. maybe the dark elf race playable... a few voice overs.... i'm a simple man... pleasure = pain ;D
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    Another patch! Fantastic! Just one small gripe - certain objects still leave a trail when you move them around on the inventory page. Not a huge problem, but nonetheless very annoying. /J
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    tbh i cant understand how you could oversee that bug with not enough monsters spawning! I realised there is something wrong with the spawns after 2 hours of playing so how can a full staff of beta testers with way more time and resources oversee this??
  • Jemand84Jemand84 Member Posts: 11
    Game works fine for me. So no desaster at all :-P
  • JimJim Member Posts: 9
    @PhillipDaigle
    Cheer up buddy :).. You guys have done a good job. What people need to remember is that no software is bug free at the initial release. In the case of BG:EE you guys have made several changes, which in my little world means that it is obvious that new/unforeseen bugs will appear.

I think it is great that you've been able to dish out a new patch more or less every other day. This shows that you're committed to make this game work well.

Good going :)
This discussion has been closed.