Skip to content

Impossible to sell certain items: magical bolts, Kiel's helmet, Werebane, Sword of Balduran

NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
edited April 2013 in Not An Issue
It seems nobody want to buy that kind of ammo or I've missed something?
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• LaurentiusLaurentius Member Posts: 5
    I think all plain ammos are "unsellable"
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The price on arrows and bolts is 0, making it impossible to sell them. A simple edit of the arow01 and bolt01 .itm files to correct the price to 1 will fix this, presuming that the store you are visiting will buy ammunition. I had to fix the price on clubs and quarterstaves to make them where I could sell them, too.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    I believe crossbow bolts, bullets, arrows, quarterstaff, club never sold to/back to npcs.
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    I've always sold magic arrows to store...but I don't understand while magic bolts are not accepted. In BG2 at least you can sell everything (magic).
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    Magical ammo should sell to npcs that will by those item types.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I'm pretty sure you can still sell magical ammo in weapon shops.
    In some shop arrow are accepted, while bolt not. XD
    Ok, that might be an oversight in the old content. Can you give some examples of shops than should buy bolts?
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I confirm what NymMoondown is experiencing--there are three .sto files for High Hedge and none of them have "bolts (31)" as a store purchase type. Easily fixed.
    edited December 2012
    It's not only a problem of High hedge...everywhere a store accepts arrows it refuses to buy bolt...I don't remember about sling ammo...

I add also that at High Edge you could sell a lot of strange items (as the runestone of Durlag's Tower or the Idol of Kozah) and in BGEE this is not more possible...
    As noted--an oversight in those stores. I haven't gotten to the .sto files yet because I am still working on fixing the spawn points in .are files. While the developers are fixing other problems, I am moving ahead with my own fixes and the stores are farther down the list.
    I've submitted a few weapon shops that sell bolts to accept bolts.
    It's not more possible to sell Kiel's Helmet too.
    Isn't that a quest item? Quest items are intentionally unsellable (critical). Or we would get but reports about items vanishing from the game :D
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The Sellable Items component from BG2 Tweaks will fix this. If stores buy arrows, they're altered to also buy bolts.

Isn't that a quest item? Quest items are intentionally unsellable (critical). Or we would get but reports about items vanishing from the game :D

I don't think it is...it's just a normal helmet...noting more nothing less...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Kiel's Helmet, helm14.itm, has the "unsellable" flag set. I see no reason why this should be the case, so I am going to remove that flag to resolve the difficulty. I am not a developer so that fix won't be in a patch for the rest of you, unfortunately, but perhsps the developers will include it in one in the near future.

hrm...I notice that it also applies the effect "morale break" but *also* applies the "immunity to effect [morale break]", which contradict each other. I'll check it out using that goblet, the one called "taste my fear" (or something like that), to see what happens.
    It is flagged as a quest item, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I add other two item you can't sell:

Werebane+1
    Sword of Balduran

They are not quest item, and you could sell them in BG1
    Raistlin82darius404
    Werebane and Balduran's Sword are both flagged as quest items in BG as well.
    I've always sold them...
    Raistlin82
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I remember that in the original BG1 that all bolts were unsellable to all stores. I think this was an oversight because stores such as the high hedge would buy other types of ammo, just not bolts. Come to think of it, aside from plot or valueless items I think that the high hedge bought EVERYTHING except bolts. Perhaps this oversight was carried over into the EE?

Also I just checked my save file from the original BG1. You can indeed sell werebane and Sword of Balduran.
    If you can't sell an item --> yeah, likely it is a quest item.
    Quest items in bg2 cannot be sold.
    If we change that, other people would say it is a bug.
    So... this won't be changed.
    But the two sword aren't quest item...or I miss something?
    Raistlin82
    It was marked critical by BG1. And IIRC, there is some quest around balduran's items.
    Spoiler:

Do you mean that?

"IIRC there are only 4 weapons which can harm a loup garou and this is one of them (others being Kondar, Flametongue, Sword of Balduran)."

So why two sword could be sold and two not?
    Once that the quest is ended wouldn't be possible to sell them?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

If you can't sell an item --> yeah, likely it is a quest item.
    Quest items in bg2 cannot be sold.
    If we change that, other people would say it is a bug.
    So... this won't be changed.

OK. That makes sense now. I do recall that I brought the sword of balduran (The one from bg1) into bg2 (there is a certain exploit you can use to do this...) and it was indeed flagged as plot. Kind of ironic that it would be plot in bg2 where it is completely worthless but not in bg1 where it has a purpose for existence. Ah well. I can understand having a few inconsistencies in order to streamline the process.

Spoiler:

Do you mean that?

"IIRC there are only 4 weapons which can harm a loup garou and this is one of them (others being Kondar, Flametongue, Sword of Balduran)."

So why two sword could be sold and two not?
    Once that the quest is ended wouldn't be possible to sell them?

I would also like to point out that "quest item" refers to a certain flag that can be placed on an item and that it can be put on any item (by a programmer type person) regardless of whether there is an actual "quest" associated with it. This flag would give the item certain special behaviors like unsellability and would not go away just because the quest associated with it was finished.

As for the other two swords you mentioned they have other uses as well. Flametongue is very good against cold things and undead as well as regenerating creatures (werewolves). Kondar was actually originally made not for werewolves, but for a certain other shapeshifter that was extremely prevalent; especially later on.