Skip to content

Female Dwarf, Gnome or Half-Orc NPC?

MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
These three are the only race combinations that we have yet to see in the cast of NPCs. Which of the three female races would make the best NPC and what role would they fulfil?
  1. Female Dwarf, Gnome or Half-Orc NPC?147 votes
    1. Female Dwarf
      42.18%
    2. Female Gnome
      24.49%
    3. Female Half-Orc
      33.33%

Comments

• MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    edited December 2012
    I would love to see a Female Half-Orc playing the Cleric role. She would be like the anti-Dorn, a Half-Orc that tries to integrate into society and adopt the customs of a human Cleric. But would be more of a Shaman than a Cleric considering her wild upbringing. She would fulfil the need for a good aligned healer in BG2.

Although I would be incredibly interested to see what a Female Dwarf or Gnome would look like since they are so incredibly rare in Baldur's Gate.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    There's plenty of Female dwarves....you just don't notice because of the beards! (Not kidding..the female dwarf model in BG1 (original) is the same as the male dwarf, same for gnomes)
  • donhendonhen Member Posts: 5
    Mordeus said:

I would love to see a Female Half-Orc playing the Cleric role. She would be like the anti-Dorn, a Half-Orc that tries to integrate into society and adopt the customs of a human Cleric. But would be more of a Shaman than a Cleric considering her wild upbringing. She would fulfil the need for a good aligned healer in BG2.

**snip**

I second this idea. I'd love to see a good Horc Cleric with more than a bit of rough strength to her, a goodie but not saccharin.

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Female Half Orc Sorceress. Bla bla bla race limitations bla bla. They don't matter at all when it comes down to NPCs :) soooo I vote Half-orc sorceress for the next NPC :D
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2012
    I'm all for an romanceable half-orc with chiseled muscles. An full blooded orc maiden would be even sexier! Though, I'd rather like to see her as an Druid or Skald, since the whole "anti-Dorn" thing would become boring very fast.

She could look like this:

Or this if she has a good alignment:
  • VelkirVelkir Member Posts: 70
    Female dwarf..my dwarf need some love :P
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wouldn't mind seeing a female half-orc barbarian
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I don't think they should be restricted by whatever race/gender combinations does or doesn't exist for the companions, but I wouldn't mind seeing another half-orc. I find them somewhat more interesting than dwarfs and nomes. If going with the whole "screw racial restrictions" thing as IchigoRXC suggests, a Cleric/Mage would be nice, with enough strength to smash in the face of anyone that gets too close. Could be chaotic neutral alignment, would fit into any party type then and in my mind it works rather well for a half-orc too.
    donhen said:

Horc Cleric

I was adding custom pictures yesterday and had trouble deciding how to shorten half-orc pictures names... I too now use Horc :P
  • Tie_FighterTie_Fighter Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2012
    @kamigoroshi: yeah, that first one looks real evil, haha :)

Anyway, I vote half-orc berserker.

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Female Dwarf! I'm playing a female half-orc at the moment, so that wouldn't interest me much (and I believe a lot of people might play half-orc now that it's possible, so an NPC of that sort would possibly overlap with quite a few Charnames).

Dwarven women, however, are for the most part ignored in the games, and they could lead to a lot of interesting banter. Half-orcs, well, not so much, especially if they're barbarians or sorcerers or other stuff you'd expect. Also, thinking of BG2 where NPCs tell you about their lives, you might want to avoid the topic of the origin of most half-orcs.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Even though the other two are quite rare, too, "female dwarf" is possibly the least used / portrayed character in any fantasy scenario... ever!
    And that's when they don't tell us they have a beard and look exactly like male dwarves (whaaaat?)... which in case you don't realize it... is MUCH WORSE than not showing them at all.
    So, yes... a female dwarf would rock BG's world.

As for the class... hmmm... I'd see her as a good-aligned cleric.
    Or, you know, you could go crazy and make her something new, like... a psion!

PS: Bupu rocks.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2012
    Female Dwarf with beard, because they rock! (no pun intended)

I'm not quite shure about D&D 2nd Edition but I know that female dwarfs in Faerun have beard growth in the 3rd Edition (some shave themsels though). That's what it officially says in the Fogotten Realms campaign book.
  • VelkirVelkir Member Posts: 70
    Photobucket

Possibly the only female dwarf npc iv ever met Dorna Trapspringer Cleric/Rogue from NWN:Shadows of the Undrentide
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I voted dwarf, but really I'd be happy to see any of these. Female members of these races rarely turn up in games, and I'd like to see more of them.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I don't care who she is or what role she fulfills, I just want to see a canon portrait of a female dwarf!
    (Does she have a beard? Seriously, does she? I want to make a portrait and I need to knoooooooow!)
    Another example for female dwarf npc's in videogames (aside from mmo's) would be Sigrun from Dragon Age: Awakening. But DA:A wasn't that good. I also don't like the optic of the draves in the DA series over all. They all have very long arms (which makes them look like apes) and sometimes not even the males have beards (Varric and Sendal).
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621

Another example for female dwarf npc's in videogames (aside from mmo's) would be Sigrun from Dragon Age: Awakening. But DA:A wasn't that good. I also don't like the optic of the draves in the DA series over all. They all have very long arms (which makes them look like apes) and sometimes not even the males have beards (Varric and Sendal).

I agree that DA:A wasn't amazing, but as for the dwarves not having beards: dwarves can shave too y'know. Especially because the PC is an outcast from their society, shaving might even be more common.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Female Half-Orcs do not get as much love as they deserve, and Cleric Half-Orcs rule (my evil PC is a Priest of Talos Half-Orc and I do not regret it at all).

Female Dwarf would be my next choice, as Dorna Trapsinger from Shadows of Undrentide was AWESOME.

Female Gnome (I realize they aren't the same as halflings) feels like it has already been done twice: Mazzy is the token female little person (I KNOW THEY AREN'T THE SAME, BUT THEY FEEL SIMILAR), and Aerie worships a Gnome god because of Quayle. And Quayle is kind of like an annoying little sister...
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I'd like to see a barbarian female dwarf.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Koson said:

That'd be cool. The game needs a Barbarian anyway :)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Finch, Finch, Finch, Finch.

Also there's like 2 Half-Orc NPCs for SoA and both are ladies.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    I can't bear to vote, the mere thought of any of these NPC's makes my stomach turn!!!! ..once saw this f-dwarf with beard, was almost running away screaming from my most beloved PC altar!!! ..may all the gaming gods forbid such unholy sight again!!!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Koson said:

That'd be cool. The game needs a Barbarian anyway :)

But wouldn't a female gnome barbarian be more refreshing in that regard?

• FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2012
    Femail half orc Claric of the Red Knight Kamigoroshi 2nd pic whould be perfict.
    [img]http://sadpanda.us/images/1277387-K13NO30.bmp [/img]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Any of them would be welcome truthfully. I think non annoying gnomes are in the minority though, so that is where my vote is going towards. A Cleric/Thief worshiping Gond and having some deadly traps to set would be wonderful.
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    My dungeons and dragons online character has always been a female dwarf through her past three lives as wizard. She is now a druid.

My PC currently is a thief/cleric gnome. Male though.
    toanwrath said:

[...] as for the dwarves not having beards: dwarves can shave too y'know. Especially because the PC is an outcast from their society, shaving might even be more common.

Yes, I know that, but it feels wrong. In all old tales and myths, the beard is holy to a dwarf, I grew up with those tales. In Snow-White and Rose-Red the two girls find a dwarf who's beard is stuck in a tree. Since they can't get him out, they decide to snip of the beard and even though it was just a small part, he goes totally furyous about this and doesn't even thank them for savin his life. That important is a dwarf's beard to them.
    Of course, different cultures and stuff but *still*. It's like eating bread without butter or eating icecream with a fork. Something is wrong.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    All of the above, followed by a retraction of the race and gender restrictions regarding romances. Baldur's Gate needs a male half-orc/male gnome love story.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Well my gnome cleric/thief would love to have a warrior type female gnome to look out for him while he is sneaking around supporting the group and maybe having a perve here and there between spell casts!!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I don't care they're all ugly