Skip to content

Why there *Shouldn't* be a planescape torment enhanced edition

Comments

• InVermilionInVermilion Member Posts: 2
    Assuming one ever gets made, I imagine it would have much the same restrictions placed on it, the big one being that no dialogue can get changed. All they can do then is drop the game into a different engine, update it for compatibility / ease of use, and any content they'd like to add would have to be all new, unrelated to the plot and entirely optional.

Everyone loved P:T for the story and characters, but most people are of the opinion that the actual gameplay was rather shitty. I'd love to have the engine and mechanics from BG2 wrapped around the core that is P:T. It would involve a bunch of rebalancing (nameless one, party NPCs, and all the enemies) and brand new encounter design, and there's no guarantee that it would come out any good, but I'd prefer it if someone tries at least. :)
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Nathan said:

@Zafiro EA said "no" to us doing Ultima =( I <3 Ultima...</p>

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges! Or.. something like that.

• RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    BG2: EE and possibly BG3 after... why would you want an EE for every infinity game when there's a possibility of a brand new game to play?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    mch202 said:

Messi said:

Well the good thing is the chances of EE of Torment happening are about zero!

And you got to this estimation by... ??

P.S

Trent once said that Beamdog already have the source code of PS:T
    While saying there is zero chance of it happening may be an exaggeration, unfortunately I have to agree that it doesn't seem very likely. To the best of my knowledge, PST never achieved more than a cult following, certainly nothing compared to the popularity BG 1 and 2 enjoyed. So you have a game that wasn't incredibly well known in it's time, meaning that you can't necessarily rely on the established fan base to be enough to make a remake successful. Add to that the fact that PST is incredibly text heavy and has a somewhat clunky interface and combat, meaning that it probably won't appeal to today's average gamer, and any sort of remake starts to look more and more financially risky. And at the end of the day no matter how dedicated the devs are, they still need to be able to make a profit.

Don't get me wrong I love PST, and think a PST:EE would be cool, but I just can't see it happening. Which is why the announcement of a possible spiritual successor is so awesome.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I don't think additional content would necessarily be bad, there would just have to special attention made to the style, mostly with the dialogue. I remember a mod that restored incomplete content that included optional mod content.

It felt really out of place, the writing style differed considerably and it made me delete the mod in about five minutes.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 18
    Zafiro said:

Well, Enhanced does not necessarily involve new content, or changing the plot in any way.. I agree IE games don't actually need enhancing. I'd like something else instead: FFIX, Gold Box, Ultima and Arcanum.

Oh god yes, give me FFIX: EE

• OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56

Corvino said:

Hmm. Just found this online - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-03-chris-avellone-blesses-inxiles-planescape-torment-successor

Looks like some kind of "spiritual successor" is in the works. Whether or not this would make a PS:T enhanced edition more or less likely is not commented on. InExile have trademarked "Torment", which could lead to difficulties.

Spiritual successors are difficult. Some do well - Bioshock seemed a good successor to System Shock though less complex. Some change everything as Fallout 3 did, and while the result can be satisfying it is a totally different experience to the original. I trying to think of a really bad one, but the bad ones don't really stick in your mind.

Since InExile has trademarked "Torment", I'd go with Planescape:Aggravation. Either that or Planescape: Irritation
    How about Planescape: Botheration? Or Planescape: Upsetting. Canadian Riots style ("we're slightly upset!").
  • misiekbemisiekbe Member Posts: 17
    ajwz said:

I should start this off by saying I am a massive fan of planescape: torment, the planescape setting in general, and have really enjoyed what overhaul have done with BG:EE.

Having said that, I really don't think there should be an enhanced edition for planescape torment.
    This is not due to it being perfect _ I'm sure we can all agree than the user interface was kinda clunky, the graphics kind of blurry, and the combat kind of meh.

But Planescape torment's strongest point was it's storytelling. And to me, Torment seems like such a tightly written story, that adding new content seems almost sacrilligeous, and would end up diluting the setting further away from its (admittedly self-indulgent) exploration of philosophy and the human mind.

Regardless of how well intention or well written the enhancements are, I can't help but think they would only detract from the author's original intentions.

So, I'm all in favour of enhancing baldurs gate, and maybe later IWD, but I think I would draw a line at PS:T.

Additional content probably not, but for graphics overhaul, UI overhaul and general tweaks I'm all for it. Planescape is THE best RPG story in cRPG category and I'd really like it to be told in HD quality :) So I do not agree with drawing a line there.

• MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I really, really want a Planescape:Torment EE. Especially for those people who are interested in the game but can't be bothered due to the engine and graphics. Heck, I myself haven't managed another replay for ages, since it's just so arduous to play it, even if I adore the story. Also, I'd love to buy PS:T yet another time...
  • dominancedominance Member Posts: 14
    I loved the gameplay, it was probably better than BG2, having the BG2 engine and mechanics would ruin it.
    I also remember Trent Oster posting at some point that the source art for PS:T is available, meaning they could do a true updated graphics/HD version. And I know a lot of people will say "who cares about the graphics, it's the story that's important". That may be true, but seeing as how that great story has already been written, and won't disappear no matter what they do for PST:EE, why not have a version with updated graphics?
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I think if anything I'd like some more character models primarily ones that aren't hyper oversexualized.
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    I've heard that they are going to make The Nameless One bi-sexual. Pretty nice enhancement, isn't it?

Ok, I lied, I didn't hear it, but after Dorn, this is my concern from now on.
    Huh what happened with Dorn? I played most of the game with him in my party and didn't see anything like that.

If they did that then it is fucking retarded.. why do they need to bring that bullshit into games.
    Please don't start this on this thread, there is really no need.
    No I am asking a question and want to know what he is talking about.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    I think we should let PS:T the way it is. Instead of making a sequel, Planescape itself is a great venue of so many incredible storytelling opportunities. I wouldn't mind at all a Harbinger House mod put into CRPG media, or Faction War, Well of World, Dead Gods, etc. Or even Demonweb Pits.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited December 2012
    Well according to this topic (What would you like in IWDEE and PTEE?) most of the people want:
    - Better UI
    - Bug corrections
    - improved animations and videos (for high-level spells, etc).
    - better graphic: backgrounds and character models (improved, more detailed etc.)
    - integrated Qwinn's modifications\fixes (Fixpack, Unfinished Business, Tweaks).
    - Android / iPad / Linux support.
    - Updated journal
    - All that cool CGI art they did for the bestiary show up as portraits during dialogues
    - Integrate Morte voice set from "Easter Egg Morte" mod
    - "please don't touch Torment in any way, it could bring the wrath of the Lady on all of us :("

@ajwz, As we can see no work for the writer...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I kind of feel that planescape torment is a more "complete" experience than baldur's gate, and so enhancing it would be a bit like rewriting Shakespeare or something. I guess if it was just improvements to the engine and graphics I might be ok with it.
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    dominance said:

Huh what happened with Dorn? I played most of the game with him in my party and didn't see anything like that.

If they did that then it is fucking retarded.. why do they need to bring that bullshit into games.

Sorry for spoiling it for you, but Dorn is a confirmed gay. Sorry again, this was a disappointment for me as well.
    Wow that is fucking retarded. They should stop bringing this shit into everything. It pissed me off in Mass Effect 3 when one of the guys started hitting on my character, should be an option to turn the gay shit off.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    edited December 2012
    dominance said:

Wow that is fucking retarded. They should stop bringing this shit into everything. It pissed me off in Mass Effect 3 when one of the guys started hitting on my character, should be an option to turn the gay shit off.

While your trolling is vaguely amusing, in the same way watching the 2012 Republican Primary debates was amusing, it isn't welcome here sir.
    edited December 2012
    I'm not trolling at all, it is what I believe and not bothered whether you think it's welcome or not.

If people are allowed to talk about accepting this crap then people should be allowed to talk about not accepting it.
  • Dalis918Dalis918 Member Posts: 37
    Honestly I think they could do an EE with reasonable ease. Depends on if they can get permission to add in some of the cut content or not. Examples being the candle quest, also fairly sure there was meant to be stuff within the The Brothel of Slating Intellectual lusts basement. I think that any new NPC companions would perhaps not be advisable. But there is a wealth of stuff that was cut or incomplete for various reasons. If they dig through and add in things that wouldn't break other things then what's the problem?
    Besides, I'd like to actually see the differences between the good bad and neutral endings aside from the music.

One thing that is a big no however, Do Not Change The Style Of The Cutscenes! I love the Torment cutscenes, they fit perfectly and there's no real way in my mind that they can be improved.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Dorn is GAY? WHAT? That's it, I am now demanding my money back from Overhaul and taking those 20 dollars to the next strip bar where there's no risk of running into any kind of faggotry.

All I wanted was Dorn to be a MAN. With those abs, that mean look on his face, that deep, deep voice... yes, a REAL man. So vicious, so aggressive, so mean, so... dreamy. So dissapointing.

Uh, I mean, yeah, man, PS:T:EE all the way. Whatever you guys say. I don't read much, so personally I don't care either way.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    But to stay on topic: I agree with everyone who would like to see an enhanced PS:T but thinks it's very unlikely from a market perspective.

And as far as new content goes, I don't really think it's necessary. Sure the additions to BG were nice, but having bugs fixed, a better UI and an engine that will run on modern machines is all that really matters to me and I would have bought BG:EE only for that. As I would do with PS:T.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    I dont think there should be an enhanced version of PS:T.
    The storytelling in PS:T was awesome but (and im gonna get bashed by some for saying this) I always felt that the gameplay and tactical combat in Torment was sub-par, especially when playing a non-mage.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Ossory said:

Since InExile has trademarked "Torment", I'd go with Planescape:Aggravation. Either that or Planescape: Irritation

How about Planescape: Botheration? Or Planescape: Upsetting. Canadian Riots style ("we're slightly upset!").

How about Planescape:Torment as one word? I bet they never thought about trademarking THAT! ;)
  • fooflamfinnfooflamfinn Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2013
    Since a few people here have posted about InExile's spiritual successor, it's called Torment: Tides of Numenera. Looks like they'll be going the Kickstarter route with it. Here's some info via Monte Cook's G+ page (the creator of Planescape, of which P:T is based): This Wednesday, folks!
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    The possibility of a P:T...

That really updated my journal. :D