Skip to content

Why there *Shouldn't* be a planescape torment enhanced edition

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Honestly, if they ported PS:T, HD'd it up, and increased the party size to 8, with no other changes (other than maybe some typos), I would be *more* than happy. I'd kinda prefer it if they did only that.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Give me a planescape with the load/save speed of BGEE and with native support for higher resolutions and all bugs fixed and I'll buy it. No need even to make HD graphics or higher bitrate music :)
  • DarpaekDarpaek Member Posts: 1
    There is a PST:Enhanced Edition!

Download and install PST from GOG, in a folder that isn't in your Program Files. This can be a little tricky with the GOG installer. On the VERY FIRST SCREEN where you accept their Terms and license click something like Options or Configure or whatever - don't click Continue. You'll be given the option to install into a non-default folder.

After PST has installed download the most recent BiG World Setup from http://kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu/downloads.php?id=2 I know, I know... Germans are the Devil. But we stole the Bomb from them, we might as well gib their l33t h4x too. Just download the .exe at the top of the list. The program will be in English (kinda).

Put the .exe you just downloaded into your PST directory and run it. On one of the first screens you'll see a pull down menu that says something like: "Baldur's Gate Super Happy Version" or whatever. Open the pull-down and select "Planescape:Torment Recommended".

Now just keep clicking Continue as the GUI does all the Enhancing for you. It'll even do the necessary downloads and all the bleh that breaks games when you try to do these sorts of things. Sometimes you might be prompted to do something. If you can't figure out this GUI, you probably shouldn't be playing Planescape:Torment in the first place - you'll just get lost in the Hive anyways.

And VOY-LA! In probably less time than it took to install the GOG game, you'll have a Widescreen, modern computer friendly, HD music, bug-free Enhanced Edition of Planescape:Torment.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Does this also work with the disk version or just the GOG version?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @AHF it should work with either. I believe BiG World Setup is just mod installation tool. As far as I can tell, you can accomplish the same thing by following the instructions here:
    http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.ca/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html
    That page also contains details on how to do a full install, which I think is the only thing you have to do differently for the disk version compared to the GOG version.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I used the method linked by @TJ_Hooker and it worked a treat. I simply never got around to playing the game thereafter.
  • MarkalethMarkaleth Member Posts: 9
    While i agree with the part regarding storytelling and the story arch remaining intact, i don't really see a reason why Planescape should not have an EE. There are plenty of improvements to be made to the engine, maybe add a few things and so forth. EE do not generally tend to interfere with the story of a game, but merely to either try to add to it slightly (a minute amount compared to the original story) and improve upon the engine, a few mechanics and bug fixes. That's my take on it at least.
  • @mch202

Planescape: Torment has *huge* potential for enhancements other than merely a better engine and such.

Just take Sigil's remaining city districts for example; the Market Ward, Guildhall Ward and of course the Lady's Ward would all make excellent additions for an EE. Another possibility would be to include the remaining eight factions (Athar, Bleack Cabal, Doomguard, Fated, Fraternity of Order, Free League, Harmonium, Mercykillers, Sign of One, Transcendent Order) and make them joinable for the Nameless One. Even simply deepen the already joinable factions with new quests (the Godsmen's secret project comes to mind) would work nicely as well.

Not to mention adding all content which were scrapped back to the game, such as the romance with dead-drop-gorgeous Fall-from-Grace and her mysterious "unlockable" diary.

One addition I'd especially like to see is the Priest class unlocked for the Nameless One. Aola, Hargrimm the Bleak and Fall-from-Grace for example could be trainers for the priest class.

I posted this a couple of month ago in another thread. But my stance of as to why there *should* be a planescape torment enhanced edition remains unchanged.

@Ossory I think a better abbreviate would be P:ET. It could stand for either "Planescape: Enhanced Torment" or "Planescape: Endless Torment". Both titles would be very accurate, giving the story.

Holy smokes! You're a genius! I agree with all you said but I'd also like to further it.

The most important thing I see would be needed for PS:T (not for me though) is the improved graphics. I wouldn't mind that as long as they keep the same style and look, and that they DON'T TOUCH THE CINEMATICS (no improving them, no removing them and no adding more).

Second thing is maybe tweak the combat a little bit, but not too much because it isn't a combat oriented game.

Then, we come to what you said. There's sooo much to be added that wouldn't change the core of the game. Adding all those factions would be an amazing idea. However their quests must be in the same style of all the other quests in PS:T. They need to have some moral or philosophical background and an option to finish them with just dialogue. Oh, and deepening the old factions would be needed as well.
    Another thing are the remaining wards. They would be a cool addition that would add more hours to the game. Some of those new factions and their quests might be scattered in them. It would also be great if one of those had a special theme like the Alley of Dangerous Angles (like a feud between the citizens, or the citizens and the guards etc.). The problem is, if they'd add those wards, an important NPC would just have to appear in them. It is not avoidable. For example adding the Lady herself would be amazing. She wouldn't have any influence on the plot, but maybe add her own insight on the situation and maybe a few info on the Nameless One's past incarnations. Plus she might be a neat elite boss, and killing her would result with aggro of all the NPCs of Sigil (except the important ones).
    Totally agree on adding the scrapped content and a priest class. Nothing more to add here. :D
    The one thing I'm not quite sure are the secrets. I kind of like it that there's some unsolved mystery. On the other hand I would really like to see what's the secret project and what's in Fall-from-Grace's diary. In the end I think I would have to go for not adding the secrets.

Although I see major benefits of the EE, I also have the feeling that it would somehow ruin the whole experience. I mean, I don't think that the EE would change the original in any way, and that it would remain a classic no matter what, it's just that doing a remake and adding new stuff kind of ruins the whole magic around it. I would say that I'm kind of half-half, but in the end I would leave PS:T to rest in piece, and focus on making a spiritual successor or two and more great games. All that time that would be spent on restoring and improving PS:T, could be better spent on making an equally great game that would also become a classic.

P.S. sorry if my English is not correct.
  • SayonSayon Member Posts: 1
    Playing original PST on WIndows 8 is a pain. So many bugs around! I really liked the game and wanted to play it right, but the buggy animations, random pauses, crashes just made me sick.

I will be the first guy to buy PST:EE. And I encourage everyone to support Project:Eternity and Torment:Tides of Numenera :)
  • DarkExcalibur42DarkExcalibur42 Member Posts: 10
    Replaying BG & BG2 in their EE versions has reinvigorated my interest in the old RPGs.

Planescape Torment was one I didn't even know I missed. Icewind Dale I knew I missed, but there's almost no chance of my playing the original now.

I would prefer to buy EEs of old games than I would a new game, though I would still buy it. Part of the fascination with the older games is from a historical/cultural perspective and the games that were made then just won't be the games that are made now.

Because I purchased BG & BG2 EEs I would definitely buy EEs of any other similar RPG. I want more of these types of RPGs, and if IWD could be updated to be comparable to BG2 in level of recruitable NPCs I think that would be excellent practice for Beamdog's plans for designing a new RPG from the ground up. I want them to get in as much practice as possible so that their first game is legendary. Bringing all these old classics up-to-date is the perfect way to do that.