Skip to content

Gorion Wins! Well... almost

CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
Thought it would be fun to see what would happen if Gorion really got Sarevok on-the-ropes.

Boozillamch202ARKdeEREHMajocaDeeajwzswnmcmlximlneveseTeflonDrugarsebasDJKajurulunarRaistlin82deltagoBelgarathMTHtheoricusAntonNight_WatchCaptRoryDiscoCatStargazer5781Tanthalasartificial_sunlightCheesebellyJason_SilverainagrisSCARY_WIZARDioanguSpaceInvaderMornmagorThe_New_RomanceTuckerButtercheeseHeroicSpurelminsterPhyraxDeltaslayerAron_TimesZafiroIllustairFenghoangCrevsDaak

Comments

• darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    Fantastic! Oddly enough...I had a similar battle like that once. Fortunately I survived the beating.
    Cuv
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Gorion has insanely inflated HP for his class and level so it's not a fair fight :)
    Cuv
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    LMAO at Tamoko getting mazed/imprisoned. did not see that coming =)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I lol'd. Gorion makes it look too easy.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In bg2 during the dream sequence where your charname picks on a demon, a lich, and a mindflayer, you should make them fight back :p
    CuvARKdeEREH
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Oh yes, they should have used this opening for BGEE.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe Cuv can give away his script in time for implementing this new opening in the next patch ;)
    CuvCrevsDaak
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's like the opposite to Fallout 2's tragic "Oil can... oil can... oil can" random encounter XD
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Hahahah gj!
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Mod idea: Gorion survives by mazing Sarevok or teleporting away; joins your party together with Khalid and Jaheira and takes you to Baldur's Gate. Then you could investigate the Iron Throne and be on the offensive and face Sarevok in either the Iron Throne building with Reiltar or in the undercity with Daveorn, and maybe some others (Tranzig, Ogre Mage Assassins, army of doppelgangers).

The only problem I see is having a plausible way for the PC to get enough XP to have a balanced party with high lvl Gorion.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Good idea! Or... Gorion is killed by a single Gibberling before meeting up with Elminster because he used all his spells up:P
    ButtercheeseProontAedanCrevsDaak
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    That... actually would have been a better "real" opening.

Making Gorion more potent actually increases the menace Sarevok has. I mean Gorion really whooped some bum in that video, and Sarevok still smashed him.

lol.
    CuvProontCrevsDaak
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Hahaha, that was awesome ^.^
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Cuv, not as bad as getting killed by a single xvart though...is it?

An excellent take on the classic. Well done.,
    Cuv
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @HeroicSpur Indeed! LOL
    CrevsDaak
  • QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55
    Can anyone here explain why Gorion is supposed to be a legendary god mage? He's engaged by a party of 6, all of them probably high level or high hit dice monsters killing 4 of them before he is killed himself. That seems pretty powerful to me.

I don't get why so many so vocally demand a fight worthy of a finale in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Gorion could also just be the normal bookworm mage who went in over his head.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    In BG2, Firkraag mentions that he "still bear[s] the scars of that meeting", referring to a battle with Gorion several years back. Given that Firkraag is one of the more engaging battles of BG2, Gorion should actually pack a significant punch against Sarevok. This is just the spice he needs!
    Aedan
    although keep in mind that gorion is old by bg1 and thus probably weaker than in his heyday when he battled firkraag.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Quineloe said:

Can anyone here explain why Gorion is supposed to be a legendary god mage? He's engaged by a party of 6, all of them probably high level or high hit dice monsters killing 4 of them before he is killed himself. That seems pretty powerful to me.

I don't get why so many so vocally demand a fight worthy of a finale in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Gorion could also just be the normal bookworm mage who went in over his head.

HERESY! GET THE FIRE AND THE PITCH FORKS!
    PhyraxAedanCrevsDaak

although keep in mind that gorion is old by bg1 and thus probably weaker than in his heyday when he battled firkraag.

Agreed, but I doubt that weaker would mean less spells. I believe that true AD&D rules stipulate that the physical stats (Strength, Dexterity and Constitution) go down with age and the mental stats (Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma) go up, implying that Gorion would rather have more spells, as opposed to less.

I think they should add this in the game (or @Cuv: make it available as a mod! [though the small jokes make Gorion seem a bit of a dork, no offense]): it makes Sarevok seem powerful and epic and really motivated CHARNAME to gain experience before confronting him.
    Cuv
    Yes but that refers to reaching "Middle age" where a man is at the height of his mental acuity but starting to weaken physically.

That is not referring to men in their dotage. Which Gorion is. We have no idea how "old men" weaken in that sense.
    edited December 2012
    @fitscotgaymer: Maybe Gorion has Alzheimers'.

This actually makes a lot of sense: Alzheimer patients go back to their earliest memories and Magic Missile is probably one of the first spells any wizard will learn. Seeing as how Gorion hurls Magic Missiles as a maniac at all enemies present...
    IllustairDiscoCat
  • hajimodottirhajimodottir Member Posts: 63
    Trent Oster said on Twitter that Gorion sometimes won the battle in early builds of BG1.
    CrevsDaak
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    HAhaha, that was awesome @Cuv. Very Monkey Island-ish.
    CuvCrevsDaak
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Rather than implying Gorion's got Alzheimer (which is a ridiculous claim of its own...he wouldn't be able to direct CHARNAME, nor even be able to go on a long trip with him/her), I think that it just takes more (magical) energy to cast spells. It's got to do with vitality, not with some or the other mental affliction.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    What you don't see is that right before he says "lets hurry child" the two of you got ambushed by a crap load of vampires who who summoned a shadow dragon because they were unhappy about Gorion walking on their graves like an idiot (that's what the stone circles are, for those who have been wondering). He probably would have actually lost this battle too were it not for the mercury dragon in the great wyrm stage of its life that noticed the commotion while flying overhead and decided to help fight the vampires. When that intense battle was finally over Gorion used up a lot of spells and had been level drained down to level 8. The mercury dragon was going to heal him but then it remembered that it had to go somewhere on a whim and flew off (they are sometimes rather strange). I know what you are asking now: where were you during all this? Well, lets just say it was a good thing Gorion memorized Otiluke's Resilient Sphere that day. So then Serevok showed up completely unaware of what had just transpired and a severely level drained Gorion had to fight him after having lost all his spells except for the level 1-4 ones and a spell trigger he had in his pocket. This also explains why Tamoko was able to easily dispel all his buffs.

As a side note the vampires were working for Abazigal and all the energy they drained from Gorion went to artificially maturing Abazigal's body. There was actually plenty of energy left over so Abazigal decided to have Draconis and mature his body too.

There you go. Two plot holes filled in all at once! Not half bad for one post; if I do say so myself!
    CrevsDaak