Skip to content

A legit method to keep items from Obe's training (AR2643)

Comments

• toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621

They aren't illusions. You even run into two of them again

In the Candlekeep catacombs.

Thank you, I mentioned that in my earlier post but I wasn't 100% sure they were real (I definitely remember meeting them YESTERDAY, but saved right after so I wasn't sure if they were tricking me or not). You are validation that I am not COMPLETELY crazy....hehe...
  • IN1IN1 Member Posts: 168
    @CamDawg

Nice to see you are actually back in business thanks to BG:EE.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Quineloe said:

You're not supposed to obtain items in that training area. Finding out some way to do so regardless is not legit. Setting some arbitrary standards like you just did doesn't work.

Was a familiar even part of the game back then? No.

he's being crystal clear about his standards and those are very common sense: use the tools the game gives you to solve problems within the game.

if doing that has an undesired effect from the standpoint of game design (causing some imbalance, or something inappropriate in the context of the game as a whole) than it's a problem of guess what: flawed game design, and not of somebody cheating as you would rather arbitrarily put it.

also there's no "back then's". it's like saying that batman should still wear a silver suit because he used to wear it in the past. well now there's a new edition of batman just like there's a new edition of BG, and the fact the edition is flawed doesn't change the fact that what exists is an intentionally different, supposedly superior brand-new edition.

• QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55

They aren't illusions. You even run into two of them again

In the Candlekeep catacombs.

@Quineloe: Knock it off. Your antagonistic tone needs to calm down.
    So having a different opinion is antagonistic now? Knock your totalitarian attitude off yourself.
    @toanwrath

No, Carsomyr just has every class, except Paladin, excluded. They probably thought it would be silly to compile such a long 'unusable by' list, so the text was changed.
    bob_veng said:

Quineloe said:

You're not supposed to obtain items in that training area. Finding out some way to do so regardless is not legit. Setting some arbitrary standards like you just did doesn't work.

Was a familiar even part of the game back then? No.

he's being crystal clear about his standards and those are very common sense: use the tools the game gives you to solve problems within the game.

if doing that has an undesired effect from the standpoint of game design (causing some imbalance, or something inappropriate in the context of the game as a whole) than it's a problem of guess what: flawed game design, and not of somebody cheating as you would rather arbitrarily put it.

also there's no "back then's". it's like saying that batman should still wear a silver suit because he used to wear it in the past. well now there's a new edition of batman just like there's a new edition of BG, and the fact the edition is flawed doesn't change the fact that what exists is an intentionally different, supposedly superior brand-new edition.

@bob_veng Excuse me sir, did you just imply that Batman is flawed? In any way?
    Oh, them's be fighting words...
    (Please note the humor, this thread seems to be very tense as is)

i haven't, the comparison had, by then ("...flawed"), already ended (i even mentioned BG explicitly so there'd be no confusion)
    ;)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    If they're playing single player, I don't really care what people exploit. Have fun with it, people, if that is what floats your boat. I don't exploit, but I re-roll like a mad dog (which is another exploit); purists would say 'roll once' - if that is how they play and enjoy, then God bless them. If somebody else wants to get their hands on something they shouldn't through a loophole, that's between them and them.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    @IN1 I didn't ever mean to be offensive even once in this thread, dude. You seem to be very determined, however, that I'm just a big jerk and nothing will convince you otherwise. You also seem determined not to read the actually important parts of my post, you'd rather have an off-topic flame toss, so I'm done here.
    CamDawg said:

IN1 said:

Here is a legitimate in-game way to obtain those items:

Thanks for sharing!

@Tanthalas, I'll submit a patch to close this exploit.
    coolbeans
    @bob_veng
    Glad that humor can exist even amongst a flame-war thread.

@reedmilfam
    I agree, rerolling is something I just can't avoid. It feels like a part of the game to me, especially since I wasn't aware of CTRL+8 until I joined the forums (not that I use it, I prefer rerolling for NEAR perfect stats, or at least very good stats, not all 18s).

@Quartz
    Man, you are such a jerk! :P
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Do people who do things like this feel better about themselves than if they just used the CLUA console to cheat?
    @Quartz

>You seem to be very determined, however, that I'm just a big jerk and nothing will convince you >otherwise.

Oh, you presume to occupy too much place in my thoughts :) I'm just not interested in any sort of discussion with you. That simple. Take it or leave it (preferably, the latter, if 'it' is the thread).
    @IN1

"I'm just not interested in any sort of discussion with you."
    *Has to get in the last word*

Seems legit...
    @toanwrath Why the hate for @Quartz?

Anyway, I think you have to enable cheats for CTRL8 to work, but I'm not sure. I've managed to just

♫ roll roll roll my boat ♫ gently down the stream ♪ merrily ♪ merrily ♫...

This has gotten me some really good characters, even if they have a dumpstat or three. It only seems to really matter super early when you have poor class benefits and even poorer survivability
    (hello, brown and black bears, to say nothing of ogres)
    in the initial areas. Once you gain a party and some levelage, you're at least able to manage the risk of venturing forth.
    @bigdogchris
    I used to, but then I took an arrow to the knee decided against it, for a few reasons (mentioned on page 1).
    @reedmilfam I'm almost positive @toanwrath was joking haha, I personally thought it was quite funny.
    @bigdogchris

I think my position was expressed in some detail elsewhere in this thread. Anyway, it has nothing to do with 'feeling better about myself'. In other words, your pretentious attempts at faux-psychoanalysis are not appreciated :)
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Are the items illusions, though? I don't remember if they're just taken away from you afterwards or if they just disappear.

If it's the former, the familiar trick would be technically legitimate.
    edited December 2012
    @reedmilfam
    That Quartz guy is just...he's such a jerk! I definitely don't agree with almost everything he says and have a fun comment war about his profile picture change...:D

Thank you for the song, it makes me feel like my extra half-hour of play time due to rolling and rolling...and rolling... is not wasted.

And I generally have the CLUA enabled in case a glitch comes up, and I still didn't realize CTRL+8 existed for a long time.
    IN1 said:

@bigdogchris

I think my position was expressed in some detail elsewhere in this thread. Anyway, it has nothing to do with 'feeling better about myself'. In other words, your pretentious attempts at faux-psychoanalysis are not appreciated :)

Oh gosh. This guy really is gonna be a complete hoot to have around.
    @Helias

No, no other method that I'm aware of.
    edited December 2012

Do people who do things like this feel better about themselves than if they just used the CLUA console to cheat?

yes, and they should feel better if, after all, they're determined to do it.
    what's worse - cheating or using a somewhat devious exploit (requires some creativity at least)?

edit: and, everybody, quit the talk about wheter's it's illusions etc. none of that obscures the fact that it's an exploit (legit, but undesirable) and not a cheat (non-legit).
    severe exploits (like this one) are usually treated as bugs and people on the 'legit side' seem to be aware of that here, so we don't have in issue - either it gets fixed (hopeso) or it doesn't.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Quartz said:

IN1 said:

@bigdogchris

Oh gosh. This guy really is gonna be a complete hoot to have around.
    Someone just finished their Psych 101 course.

bob_veng said:

what's worse - cheating or using a somewhat devious exploit (requires some creativity at least)?
    As to what's worse, it depends on A.) Whose perspective? and B.) Whether it was a "hey cool, I found this nifty little trick" or if they went "let's just look online at any new exploits to use"

Someone just finished their Psych 101 course.

Hey now, for us Psyche majors who are just in their first two years of College, Psyche 101 is an eye-opener! Let us use something that we learned (even if we can't fully understand it yet).

@bigdogchris

You are too kind. Actually, I have a post-doctoral dissertation in a completely different area :)
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    bob_veng said:

I agree. Even more so if you devised the method yourself, as the OP did.

Anyway, I always feel bad after using a cheat, so I don't (except to correct mistakes or bugs). But exploits: sometimes I do, sometimes I feel it could spoil the game. The line between legit or not is sometimes blurred.

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    It's odd how a thread that starts with one of the world's most amazing things, a ferret, can end up where it has. Forums are a bit like an area of pure Wild Magic or something.
    But @Quartz 's avatar is attractive, so that must mean that @Quartz is awesome. Doesn't it?
    edited December 2012
    toanwrath said:

bob_veng said:

As to what's worse, it depends on A.) Whose perspective? and B.) Whether it was a "hey cool, I found this nifty little trick" or if they went "let's just look online at any new exploits to use"
    good questions, even more so since they are answerable. by me. here follows:

a) from the standpoint of the 'ideal gamer deity' who wants everybody who plays BG:EE (and every other game) to experience pure enjoyment and bliss for as long as possible, while enduring the challenges the game provides in a manly way and not resorting to insta-gratification fixes such as exploiting or cheating like a pussy, thus killing the game and making the said deity very sad.

b) the first one

This discussion has been closed.