Skip to content

Your hardest battle ever in any BG game?

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    killing improved ust natha with tactics/scsii
    there is so much drows everywhere!

ended up last time playing because i could not kill all of them
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    In EE, it was Karoug for me. Especially that I didn't wait for the patch ;p But a dozen or two of replays and a bucket of sweat and blood later the blasted lycanthrope relented. I had to juggle around some weapons, with Dorn slashing away with a silver dagger and my two-handed specced Charname swinging Balduran's bastard sword(I actually didn't get the Wolfsbane Amulet at all, missed it completely) ;p Dorn's Poison ability was actually super helpful, because it dealt damage to Karoug indiscriminately, so when I got him to "Near Death" in a spot of luck I momentarily had the half-orc use it on him before he recuperated. On a different save I noticed the Cloak of the Wolf AC bug, so this time around I had all my peeps at -24 AC(or whatever was the highest attainable, I don't recall), making it quite a cake walk. Felt a lot like cheating though, and it should :(
    is EE Karaoug harder than insanse old BG1 Karaoug?
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    With the pre-bug version taken into consideration - yes, definitely, on the account of Wolverine-like regeneration abilities.
    edited May 2013
    they should have leave it

call it "original karaoug" even name sound is cool
    Post edited by zur312 on
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    In EE it was Ac'Lec'Tec for me. His stupid cultists never attacked but they were so hard to kill!
    And also Sarevok and his gang. It would have been impossible for me to defeat them in a regular combat: I had to play sneaky little tricks like drawing them towards me one by one to fight them separately.
    Also Ekandor and his men (Neera's quest) were difficult because I was very low level when I fought them.

In BG2 I've never defeated Kangaxx. But I'm going to try again with BG2:EE :)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Probably the red dragon in BG2 when I first played it. I ended up leaving his lair and came back when I was better armed and armored and my mages had better spells.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The fight I had most trouble with on my last playthrough was the Balor in Watchers Keep maze level who comes with a few Glabrezu, a succubus or two and imps. I like doing watchers keep at relatively low level (early teens) because of the extra challenge involved, and play with full SCS.

The biggest issue is the anti-magic room just beforehand. Which means no pre-fight buffing.

Must have taken me 30-40 attempts before I finally won the battle. And the win included multiple charges from the rod of resurrection!
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited May 2013
    For me the most interesting fight, if not the most challenging, was the one where you can get the magi Staff on the bridge district in BG2.
    You need a specific stone to enter, and then must defeat a party of VERY high level wizards, beholders and other magical creatures.
    I only play with SCSII mod, and i can assure you this fight is tough.

What makes it cool is that it's entirely optional, and i guess some players never do it. But it's worth it and is especially rewarding if you like the spell system of BG2 (even more so with SCSII).

EDIT : in BG, i consider all the game to be extremely challenging (then again i'm addicted to SCS mod). I think any big encounter can be lethal if you don't have the right tools / level to face it. Hell, even the spiders on Cloakwood can be extremely dangerous, and they're just spiders lol.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I can honestly say I have never actually fought the Twisted Rune (those are the magi staff people, right?). In fact, I didn't know they existed until I came to this forum.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I defeated them with a sorc lvl7 while betatesting. Core rules >_>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    BG 2, Throne
    Watcher's Keep, the lowest level, Demogorgon
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    Illustair said:

@Jackalen
    Demigorgon and on a far far far behind number 2 Kangaxx for me.

Kangaxx number 1, 2, etc. is pretty easy dispatched - scroll of magic protection & proper blade/hammer/staff.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    karnor00 said:

The fight I had most trouble with on my last playthrough was the Balor in Watchers Keep maze level who comes with a few Glabrezu, a succubus or two and imps. I like doing watchers keep at relatively low level (early teens) because of the extra challenge involved, and play with full SCS.

The biggest issue is the anti-magic room just beforehand. Which means no pre-fight buffing.

Must have taken me 30-40 attempts before I finally won the battle. And the win included multiple charges from the rod of resurrection!

I have to agree that Watcher Keep 3rd level is the hardest level in WK. Demons are tough at low level and the demon fear/stun/hold almost always affected my party. Also, mages are almost useless (still can use wands) in this level because there are the wild/dead magic zones. The dragonslayer sword really comes in handy against demons in the dead magic zone.

Abazigal and Draconis can be pretty tough battles for a low level party.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It takes even more skill to avoid enough XP to stay lvl12 till that point lol
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    XP doesn't really matter, since you could just not press the Level Up button.
    Yeah, if you manage to resist the temptation!
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I didn't find Saverok all that difficult. As long as you take out his support, he falls easily enough. The battle with Rahzin, just before Saverok, was much much harder for me. On my first playthrough, I just gave up. I had fought him again and again, but to no avail.

To my shame, I Cntrl Yed his entire party. Even though I had fought Saverok fairly, the final cutscene was like ash in my mouth. I remember feeling like the game had defeated me.
    Samus said:

bbear said:

Abazigal and Draconis can be pretty tough battles for a low level party.

I think you said @bbear before that you managed to complete ToB with a level 12 party? That takes some skill to beat those two.
    Actually...a lvl 8 party. I recently played another low level game w/ Charname, Aerie at lvl 7, Anomen and Valygar at lvl 8 and Nalia and Edwin at lvl 9.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Adalon. I have never beaten her on anything but the "Dead Easy" setting. She is essentially a ToB level dragon in SoA.

But I *needed* her blood for that Human Armor thingy, and besides she attacked me first, even *before* I could show her that cool new halberd that balor gave me in return for her eggs.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    God said:

Elminster. Modding him to use silver fire and an unlimited supply of spells was somewhat of a suicidal step. Thankfully, Charname was accompanied an epic-level arcanist and the battle was won after a long duel between the wizards.

This is an @elminster endorsed mod :D
    edited June 2013
    there i s a room in WK level 3
    dead magic 2 cournages + pit fiend
    you can't buff you can't protect from anything
    and they are casting spells there are traps
    fighting demons there is impossible with insane + tactics mod
    pit fiend summons another pitfiend when he is near dead LOL impossible

tactics scsii insane saladrex
    340~dmg with breath GL
    took me 2+++ hours to kill

tactics scsii insane kangaxx the demi-lich
    randomly imprisons your party members
    drain levels
    immune to almost every spell
    spellcasting deffence and congingencies
    i think it need higher levels spells than my 7
    if memory serves, kangaxx is not immune to lvl 9 spells. Spell like Dragon's Breath should be good. Also the ring of ram should work too.

For WK level 3 the dead magic room, innate abilities like GWW should work. Just activate the ability before it dies. I usually have 1 melee w/ super AC and 100 MR to tank it, while everyone just range.
    if my mage could cast 9 lvl spells he would cast them
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    bbear said:

if memory serves, kangaxx is not immune to lvl 9 spells. Spell like Dragon's Breath should be good. Also the ring of ram should work too.

I don't know about the staff, but Dragon's Breath made for a toasty demi-litch last time I played.
    and guys if you are talking about vanilla kangaxx he is easier than anything ;D just get someone protection and +4 weapon or even miniture meteors
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Demi-liches, I never found out how to beat them, I always got imprissonned even when I had magic resistance over 100. The only time I have beaten the demi-lich in WK, it was with an evil PC in a TOB only game, I took all of the good NPCs in my party and used them to tank all of the spells until I was able to chunk it.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Wolk said:

Demi-liches, I never found out how to beat them, I always got imprissonned even when I had magic resistance over 100.

Spell Immunity: Abjuration on all of your party members renders it's main party trick useless, meaning you have a few rounds where it's essentially doing nothing. Once you know that, they're really not that hard to kill.