Skip to content

Your hardest battle ever in any BG game?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Wolk said:

Demi-liches, I never found out how to beat them, I always got imprissonned even when I had magic resistance over 100. The only time I have beaten the demi-lich in WK, it was with an evil PC in a TOB only game, I took all of the good NPCs in my party and used them to tank all of the spells until I was able to chunk it.

Scrolls of protection against undead are good.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Wolk said:

Demi-liches, I never found out how to beat them, I always got imprissonned even when I had magic resistance over 100. The only time I have beaten the demi-lich in WK, it was with an evil PC in a TOB only game, I took all of the good NPCs in my party and used them to tank all of the spells until I was able to chunk it.

I reiterate and summarize what other ppl said for the tactics against vanilla demi-lich:

1. Spell Immunity: Abjuration
    2. Protection Against Undead (it cant even see you!)
    3. Berserker Rage (Korgan, does Minsc's Berserk have that protection too?)
    4. Spell Trap (absorbs up to 4 imprisonment spells)
    "Your hardest battle in any BG game"

The battle against my inner darkness as I resist turning into the slayer.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Embrace what you are. Do not deny the power that is rightfully yours.
    elminster said:

"Your hardest battle in any BG game"

The battle against my inner darkness as I resist turning into the slayer.

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    bbear said:

Wolk said:

I reiterate and summarize what other ppl said for the tactics against vanilla demi-lich:

1. Spell Immunity: Abjuration
    2. Protection Against Undead (it cant even see you!)
    3. Berserker Rage (Korgan, does Minsc's Berserk have that protection too?)
    4. Spell Trap (absorbs up to 4 imprisonment spells)
    small wish
    summon mass rabbits
    kill with melf meteors

turn into green jelly = 100% magic resistance
    kill with something
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    The hardest one I've ever had? There were plenty of them actually... But sincerely, because first time I've ever entirely played the game, as them being first time battles, I didn't quite know how to do it. To name one, Sendai's battle was one of the hardest. Yeah, I didn't know Stoneskin spell was so useful.. xD So I practically used to battle them with mages in the party, using always their real skin without any kind of protection from hurting xD But I can say that single battle turned out to be simply... Epic. Since avoiding the fact I had to try once and once again, I literally ended up battling Sendai with my resurrected warriors using none armors, and God. That was a bloodbath. I'll never forget it. To be honest, I've started to use Stoneskin as my most frequent spell, right before going to the final battle on ToB. That's where I've realized how useful that spell could be.
    And... Ok, the other one was the final one on the Pocket Plane. That damned cockroach kind of be, or whatever was that, xD Yeah, ok, the Ravager xD It was really hard, though it didn't resulte in such an epic battle as the Sendai's one, but the relief I've felt once I finished it, was real huge. With telling I've been two weeks trying to battle that thing, and at the last one, I've had spent more time trying to defeat that one than trying to pass along the 8 chapter. xD
    Hm... I think that's all... Well, not really, but the other ones are only to mere mention; TorGal was one of them, Irenicus not that much, neither Bodhi... Hum.. Abazigal either, but Draconis... My god, yeah, Draconis was almost impossible... At least until I found out Abi-Dalzim Horrid Wilting was one of the ''secret weapons'' xDD Agh, god, I think they were all xD I'm sure there are more impossible battles I've played, but I'll name them here when they appear once again in my mind.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    I personally still have yet to beat Sarevok without blowing through all the charges in a wand of monster summoning. Beating that fight without being cheesy about it seems impossible to me.
    !SPOILER HOW TO WIN FINAL OF BG1!

in vanilla bg1 it was really easy
    cast fb to get sarevoks attention
    run to door
    sarevoks and mage follows
    kill mage with arrow of dispell + poison arrows
    tank sarevok with mage with mirror image + arrows
    done

!SPOILER HOW TO WIN FINAL OF BG1!
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    There's a lot of tough battles and most of them have been mentioned.

However, digging a little deeper, one of my toughest battles ever was on the first playthrough. Immediately after the mines Lamalha's crew kicked my elven arse up, down, and sideways. I can't even remember how many reloads it took! Nowadays I still relish every time I chunk them >:)
  • HarkHark Member Posts: 6
    I'll be honest the only thing I don't look forward to fighting is Golems. Up until I get good golem killing gear I dread seeing them. There just aren't any specific fights that I personally would consider overly hard. That said I haven't played much of ToB, kept getting distracted. I've watched friends play just about every battle in ToB and none seems overly difficult.

However, using the Improved Tougher Illasera mod, and creating a new character in ToB is impossible to overcome to the best of my knowledge. I've tried every solo build I can think of including cheating to get the equipment that I want and I have never been able to solo that battle. With a party brought over from SoA the fight is a cakewalk barely worth mentioning.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    My hardest battle was versus Sendai. One time Aerie was shapeshifted into a mindflayer when she got confused. Killed Edwin, viconia and Jaheira before sarevok could chop her down.

Still dropped Sendai with sarevok and pc. But seriously, watching aerie massacre her own party in maybe 2 rounds??
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    DreadKhan said:

My hardest battle was versus Sendai. One time Aerie was shapeshifted into a mindflayer when she got confused. Killed Edwin, viconia and Jaheira before sarevok could chop her down.

Still dropped Sendai with sarevok and pc. But seriously, watching aerie massacre her own party in maybe 2 rounds??

"Your brains look awful tasty in that light, Jaheira."
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    DreadKhan said:

When Aerie initiate attacks, she says, "I wont let my friends be hurt." Ironic isnt it?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    bbear said:

DreadKhan said:

When Aerie initiate attacks, she says, "I wont let my friends be hurt." Ironic isnt it?
    "I won't *chomp* let *gnaw slurp* my friends *mumbles of 'so good!'* delicious brains go to waste!"
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    DreadKhan said:

bbear said:

DreadKhan said:

"I won't *chomp* let *gnaw slurp* my friends *mumbles of 'so good!'* delicious brains go to waste!"
    This is starting to sound more like the "Worst thing you've done to an NPC" thread. :P
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...my hardest battle in BGEE was to fight off my wife and get my computer from her hands to be able to play BGEE.
    Southpaw said:

...my hardest battle in BGEE was to fight off my wife and get my computer from her hands to be able to play BGEE.

You need to pump up your pickpocket skill :)
    elminster said:

Southpaw said:

You need to pump up your pickpocket skill :)
    yeaaaaaa...not even with a Cloak of Non-detection...
    stone skin/pfmw + haste
    get notebook and run!
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I hate that demon you can fight in ulgoths beard. That annoying gaze attack. Wanted to punch something lol
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Gish I think you can use protection from petrification? only played TotSC once.
    edited June 2013
    vanilla bg1 totsc
    you could kill minor guys with ranged weapons without demon and kill him 1v1 or 6vs1 depending on your party
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    edited June 2013
    The hungry wolf on the crossroad to the Friendly Arm.

( At least that was my first death back in 1999 ... )
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Sarevok, I think, will always be my hardest battle in the franchise. I always feel overwhelmed by all the stuff he has going in his favor, including a full party of his skilled cronies to back him up, something that is usually MY advantage.

There is a wolf on the crossroad to the friendly arm inn? Only if you don't follow the road. Otherwise the worst I recall is diseased gibberlings.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    My hardest battle? My actual mental battle against ATARI and his careless bankruptcy petition that didn't care about deceiting their minor indirectly investors, us.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    elminster said:

There is a wolf on the crossroad to the friendly arm inn? Only if you don't follow the road. Otherwise the worst I recall is diseased gibberlings.
    I did't follow the path.

elminster said:

I did't follow the path.
    These heroic types never do...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Southpaw said:

elminster said:

I did't follow the path.
    These heroic types never do...
    If they knew that exist a ring of protection +1 inside a stone very near that wolf... maybe they would start to follow that patch in the near future... who knows? :)!
    most of the time i forgot there is a ring there

but never about ankheg armor and ring of wizardry ; D