Skip to content

Drizzt, hand over your equipment please

I have always played a good party before, but for a change I want to play a party that is more of a balance between good and evil. In a roleplaying sense, do I really need a justification for killing Drizzt other than that I really want his equipment. Is it something only an evil party should/would do?

Can I still pickpocket him for his other weapon in BG:EE if I choose to spare his life?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    You can pickpocket both his swords, but not his armor.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Bhaaldog said:

Wilbur said:

In a roleplaying sense, do I really need a justification for killing Drizzt other than that I really want his equipment. Is it something only an evil party should/would do?

For an evil individual, that seems justification enough.

What about a neutral individual? Maybe if I actidentally backstab him in the heat of the combat.

I can see that happening :)

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    He asked you to help with the gnolls, so you did. It's not your fault if he was standing a bit too close when you launched your fireball.

From then on, you were only defending yourself.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Jalily said:

He asked you to help with the gnolls, so you did. It's not your fault if he was standing a bit too close when you launched your fireball.

From then on, you were only defending yourself.

You're absolutely right. If that stuck up elf can't take a fireball to the face and laugh about it afterwards he should die :D

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Jalily shouldn't the fact that you can actually pickpocket both his scimitars, while he is supposed to wield them, be marked as bug/inconsistency?
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

@Jalily shouldn't the fact that you can actually pickpocket both his scimitars, while he is supposed to wield them, be marked as bug/inconsistency?

Really skilled thieves should always be able to steal the clothes off someone's back without them noticing. I don't see anything wrong with this.
    Suuuure... Like in Skyrim? Come on...

Plus, it doesn't make any sense because after you steal his scimitars he STILL wield them.

Suuuure... Like in Skyrim? Come on...

The notion of stealing someone literally naked without them figuring out about it is much older than your new mainstream game full of memes.

Plus, it doesn't make any sense because after you steal his scimitars he STILL wield them.

Well, that one would be a bug, and should be fixed. But it should still be possible to steal them from him. And his mithral chain mail.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    An evil party can easily justify murdering Drizzt. He's a stuck-up Drow with powerful magical items far from his friends and outnumbered, why not?

For a neutral or good party, it's tough. Drizzt is a well-known paragon, and has done more good and kept the peace more than your party likely ever will. Even stealing one of his scimitars would be morally reprehensible and indefensible.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Just be glad Harkle Harpell doesn't show up out of nowhere, essentially rob you of Dritzz' loot and nonchalantly walk out of frame :-)
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    You could make an argument that Drizzt is a force too disruptive to the Balance, and are thus justified in killing him as a TN character. TN are theoretically just as opposed to extreme forces of good as they are extreme forces of evil.

You could make an argument that Drizzt is a force too disruptive to the Balance, and are thus justified in killing him as a TN character. TN are theoretically just as opposed to extreme forces of good as they are extreme forces of evil.

"You have disrupted the Balance by killing so many gnolls! You must give up your own life to maintain it!"
    Chow said:

The notion of stealing someone literally naked without them figuring out about it is much older than your new mainstream game full of memes.

Calm down, my Blade. Your Defensive Spin is wasted with me...
    It's not "my" game more than it is "your".
    It can be a concept as old as you want, but I find absurd that someone would not notice being completly naked after a successful pickpocket.
    Chow said:

Well, that one would be a bug, and should be fixed. But it should still be possible to steal them from him. And his mithral chain mail.

The problem is that his animation shows him with 2 scimitars, and it's unlikely that he goes around with 2 pairs of them...
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Imagine this, you are walking in the wilderness, and you see a drow elf. Knowing of the cruelty and bloodthirst of the race, you decide to attack it. After all, how are you to know it's Drizzt Do'Urden you are attacking? Scimitars are not uncommon in the Menzobarrenzen (or the other drow cities). After realizing your mistake, you could vow to put the blades and armor to good use, by ending the Iron crisis, and balancing out your own acts.

Or, ye could just kill the drow for the sake of it. Whichever helps you sleep at night :3
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited December 2012
    Pray to the gods for a lightning strike.

Or you can assume he is a doppleganger who stole his equipment since the mighty drizzt shouldn't need help with gnolls.
    Post edited by deltago on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I took him out with a summoned Ghast. Kept off-screen so he didn't turn red, and the ghast just whittled him down until my bard was wearing his nice mithril chainmail.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    I'd suggest against trying to find roleplay justifications for robbing him. Just do it and be be done with it.

As @SpaceInvader notes the mere thought that you -- an practitioner thief, still a baby compared to Drizzt -- can rob a legendary hero of his two most important possessions that have guaranteed his survival numerous times in his life, would make any GM drop of his chair laughing so hard the game would be over for the day.

There's also the added problem of the game itself making no concessions to roleplay when it includes the mighty Drizzt asking for help against a group of puny Gnolls. So, if the game doesn't care one bit about properly roleplaying an encounter with Drizzt, you shouldn't either.

Just be as basic as you possibly can: Do I want those damn scimitars or not?
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Reason? He's a drow and all drow are evil and should be killed on sight, right?

If this reason is good enough for Viconia's detractors, I see no reason why it wouldn't be good enough here. :P
  • DowDow Member Posts: 8
    If you're role playing Roddy McGristle you don't need a legitimate reason to want Drizzt dead.

After all, think of the Thistledown children.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    TJ_Hooker said:

I wish they would have included an actual conversation option that would lead to fighting. For some reason I always find it unsatisfactory when I have to just start hacking away at a neutral NPC in order to engage in combat. For example, you could say:

"My name is CHARNAME. Somebody killed my foster father. Prepare to die."

I can't even find the words to express how loudly I've laughed out at this :D
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Edwin said:

Just be glad Harkle Harpell doesn't show up out of nowhere, essentially rob you of Dritzz' loot and nonchalantly walk out of frame :-)

Its Malchor Harpell actually :P
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2012
    Chow said:

"You have disrupted the Balance by killing so many gnolls! You must give up your own life to maintain it!"
    FROSTMOURNE THE EQUALIZER HUNGERS.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    And you also have to contend with the fact that Twinkle is a danger detector (that he's actively holding), in addition to it's defender property.

And beside that was a lot of gnolls...with halbreds......even the highest ac character can be brought down by a bunch of lucky crits of 4-14 damage (after the 30% DR he shouldn't have is taken into account) (took 8 hits in the game I sat and watched the gnolls kill him). While he should be able to easily Demolish them, why take unnecessary risks?

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If Drizzt is busy fighting and doesn't initiate conversation (and that's how I'm remembering it) he's a drow, a race that is despised for it's evil cruelty. You don't know he's Drizzt unless you talk to him. Someone in you party could automatically fire on him easily enough. Edwin could cast an area-of effect spell like Fireball, for example. And I could imagine Kagain going right at him. Or even Kivan firing his bow at him.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    He's a Drow.

You need more reason to kill him for any given alignment? It's the Forgotten Realms. Drow are pretty much kill on sight for any surface-dwelling race. Hell, they are kill on sight for anything capable of doing so in the Underdark.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    TJ_Hooker said:

I wish they would have included an actual conversation option that would lead to fighting. For some reason I always find it unsatisfactory when I have to just start hacking away at a neutral NPC in order to engage in combat. For example, you could say:

"My name is CHARNAME. Somebody killed my foster father. Prepare to die."

One of the funniest posts I've seen on these boards lol!
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    Kill him, my Blade needs two awesome scimitars and his awesome chain mail...

And if you feel sorry, make up for it by donating generously to the Church... You know a lot of people still do that, right?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.