Skip to content

Black Pits: No way to cure Deafness.

PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
edited March 2013 in Fixed
There's no way whatsoever to cure Deafness without fielding your own druid or cleric in the Black Pits. Greater Restoration scrolls don't cure it, and there exist no cross-class cleric scrolls that can be used to get rid of it.

One would expect, in the absence of any means of restoring the ability for it to either be removed upon leaving the arena, or for something to be made available, or, if Greater Restoration is intended to cure all diseases including Deafness, for that to be the case.
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• I encountered a bug where the deafness effect doesn't wear off the afflicted character after having batteld the Red Wizard group. Remove curse, dispel magic, reapplying the deafness effect via spell, vocalize etc. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how to remove the deafness effect? I would use shadow Keeper, however it doesn't seem like it works with Black Pit saves.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I encountered this problem, too. Fortunately it only affected my melee people, so I didn't have an issue finishing the pits.

The work-around to getting SK to work for BGEE involved moving the save folder, so I would think moving the bpsave folder would allow you to edit BP saves. I have no idea what I'm doing messing around with the inner workings of the game, though, so don't follow that advice unless someone who knows what's what agrees with me.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I think enabling cheats and CTRL+R'ing your deaf people might help. I too ran across this problem, but as for Madhax, only melee'ers were affected.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Its a real pain if you're soloing, especially with a sorceror (me), but there is nothing you can do short of Cure Disease from a cleric. Or cheating. So I just abandoned that playthrough.
  • Using CTRL+R worked. Don't know why I didn't think of that:D Thanks to all three of you for your replies.

Oh and Madhax, Aye I've gotten SK to work with the normal campaign saves just not the BP saves. I tried copying only them over but to no avail.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2012
    A recent battle in the Black Pits game saw two of my team inflicted with deafness that cannot be removed with any spell and does not seem to be going away on its own. Since one of the afflicted is a mage, this is really rather doing my head in. Is this a bug? Can anyone help?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • LuthoreLuthore Member Posts: 43
    could be a bug..

to work around it, have you tried enabling cheat keys and using CTRL+R on your character? that should force remove the effects
    No, how do you enable cheat keys again?
    Thanks, btw.:)
    Is the procedure for enabling cheat keys the same as in the original?
  • BrighamFishBrighamFish Member Posts: 12
    Did you try remove disease I had the same problem tried remove disease and I was cured though it was my cleric
    Dammit, how did I forget that one? :D
    Thanks, Fish!
  • MalanirMalanir Member Posts: 5
    i got the same problem but it's my priest that is deaf, and there is no merchant that got scrolls/pots or anything that deliver from diseases....
    Oh, snap! >,<
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    I ran into this problem today too. Very VERY annoying. The deafness spell description says it should be able to be dispelled, but it cannot. Nor does the Restoration scroll fix it. And I'm soloing a fighter/mage/thief, so no cleric with cure disease. =(
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Try resting for a day (24 hours). The spell doesn't have an infinite duration (that's what worked for me).
  • CallistoCallisto Member Posts: 1
    I too was struck by this deafness spell. And it won't go away. The spells Remove Curse, Dispel, and a rest of more than 24 hours: all proved useless. I fought the battle over and over again, but still one of the party members was afflicted. Finally I got stuck with a deaf thief. Ah well, that is less limiting than a deaf druid.
  • PshlosPshlos Member Posts: 41
    I had the same problem. The only way I could fix it was with ctrl-r.
    It is obviously a bug.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Not a bug. Read the deafness spell description. It goes away after a succesful dispel magic, or cure disease. Maybe we need a cure disease potion or a kind of temple in BP.
    Cure disease, neutralize poison.
  • HugoRuneHugoRune Member Posts: 47
    Those are both divine spells. Pantalion is right, I've just checked. Unless I've missed something, if you don't have a priest or a druid there's no way to cure it.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    There's also Dispel Magic, in theory, according to Cause Deafness' description, but this in turn requires a spellcaster, and said spellcaster cannot have abjuration as a barred school.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Cure disease, neutralize poison.

@Avenger_teambg You got it half right there... Neutralize poison does not cure the effects of deafness as per its descdription. I found this out when I tested it on my party when bored.
    @Tresset it cures the fizzle effect, just doesn't remove the portrait icon. The next patch will likely fix that.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2013
    Patch 2014 fixed this.